ARU - Sabotage Tactics

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

ARU - Sabotage Tactics

Post by Beaussie »

The AFL is also considering changing the Sydney-Brisbane Lions' Round 20 night fixture scheduled for Saturday, August 13, at Telstra Stadium.

The stadium is double-booked, with a Australia-New Zealand Bledisloe Cup rugby union match also scheduled for that evening.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/
story_page/0,8033,11471060%255E20322,00.html

Despite the fact that the AFL booked Telstra Stadium first for the blockbuster between Sydney and Brisbane, it looks more and more likely that the ARU will get the venue for their Bledisloe Cup match.

Seriously, what is the point of booking a venue if there is no gurantee it is yours on the day/night in question. :roll:

I for one am sick of these sabotage tactics by the ARU. Twice now they have deliberately scheduled matches against the AFL's blockbuster matches in Sydney. It's time the AFL returned serve and made things difficult for the ARU in Melbourne and Perth. :evil:

The AFL has first rights agreements with Telstra Dome in Melbourne and Subiaco Oval in Perth, the Gabba in Brisbane and AAMI Stadium in Adelaide. Lets see how the ARU likes it when their games have to be re-scheduled as a result of the AFL. :twisted: :evil: :twisted:
MG
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by MG »

surly a mature approach is all thats needed. can they see theres enough room for both sports in sydney.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

MG wrote:
surly a mature approach is all thats needed. can they see theres enough room for both sports in sydney.
This has been festering for a while and I have let it go as I thought the AFL having booked the venue first would get first priority. I mean that is why you book a venue isn't it?

Anyway, I now have a real problem with how it has panned out as this is the second time the ARU have created such scheduling clashes with AFL blockbuster games in Sydney. It's about time the AFL returned serve and created scheduling problems for the ARU in Melbourne and Perth. That was at least the talk this year from the AFL when a similar kind of scheduling clash occurred.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Well it looks like the AFL has backed down again to the ARU. Fuck I hate those rugby tossers. Now we also hear that the Wallabies are scheduled to play South Africa in Sydney on July 9, the same night as Sydney v Geelong at the SCG. :evil:

AFL agrees to shift for rugby
November 30, 2004 - 8:44PM
http://www.theage.com.au/news/Breaking-News/
AFL-agrees-to-shift-for-rugby/2004/11/30/1101577484141.html?oneclick=true

Sydney football fans are in store for an action packed weekend at Telstra Stadium next August following an agreement between Telstra Stadium, the AFL and the ARU resolving a scheduling clash between the codes.

It has been agreed the Wallabies will play the Bledisloe Cup Test against New Zealand on the night of Saturday, August 13, as scheduled.

The AFL has agreed to shift its Sydney Swans v Brisbane Lions blockbuster to the following day at 1pm.

AFL CEO Andrew Demetriou said he was pleased the AFL, ARU and Telstra Stadium were able to reach a mutually acceptable solution for the benefit of sports fans.

"On Sunday 14 August 2005, two of the AFL's strongest and most popular sides will battle it out at Telstra Stadium in what promises to be one of the biggest games of the year," Demetriou said in a joint statement issued by the organisations.

"From our perspective, the most important thing was making sure as many AFL fans as possible will see two of the most popular teams in the league go head-to-head."

ARU CEO Gary Flowers thanked the AFL for being prepared to find an amicable solution.

"Unfortunately, due to international playing schedules we weren't in a position to change the date of the Bledisloe Cup," he said.

"We appreciate the AFL's tremendous cooperation in being able to move its game to the Sunday."

Telstra Stadium CEO Ken Edwards said the agreement was testament to the two codes and their willingness to work together.

"We're pleased and grateful the two organisations have been prepared to negotiate for the benefit of fans on this occasion," Edwards said.

"We will continue to work with all codes to ensure football fans have the opportunity to see all the best games at the stadium."
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Just came across this at RWO. Whilst still upset with what looks to be a case of the AFL backing down to the ARU, I hope the following proves to be the case, particularly the ARU covering costs of any crowd below 60,000:
DST wrote:
Spoke to a little birdy who said that the following had been agreed by the ARU to get their way:

a) They will underwrite any loss of crowd below 60,000 effectively meaning the game won't cost us anything if the crowd is effected by the change in date

b) The game will be played with the stands configured to an oval to protect the surface

And finally Channel 10 will be given the option to broadcast the game on Sunday if they want to, to make up for the loss of the Saturday night slot.

Can also expect to see no Rugby games in 2006 anywhere in Australia on the nights we play our three Stade De Oz games as well.

http://redandwhiteonline.com/forum/show ... genumber=4
If this is indeed the case, Channel 10 and Channel 9 will go head to head for the first time with AFL coverage on the Sunday in question.
Rugga cactus slapper
Team:
Been liked: 0

Post by Rugga cactus slapper »

Hey Beaussie, who's the big man in your aviator?

Bet he'd go good at Rugga.

How dare AFL try to take over Rugga as the number1 code in Australia, AFL you are now down with the Mungo's.
I love a hard prickly cactus, smack me baby, you piss in my sock and i'll piss in yours.
Rugby Union is full of FREAKS.

The game is crap.

RUGBY LEAGUE IS THE GREATEST GAME

TGG