AFL vs NRL - the TV war

Discuss the footy industry, crowds, tv ratings, memberships, sponsorships and the finances of all Australian football codes and clubs
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

pussycat wrote:
Beaussie wrote:
pussycat wrote:
If there's such a huge following why don't the AFL have a team there?
Broome and Alice Springs are AFL heartland yet don't have a team. What a silly thing for you to say pussycat. :roll:
Im only saying that because the NRL has a team in North Queensland (AFL heartland apparently) and it attracts plenty of Support.
The Cowboys represent Townsville only, not North Queensland (despite the name for promotional purposes). Townsville's population can support an NRL club - although if the NRL salary cap were to go up to the level of the AFL they would be in a spot of bother. Townsville would be NRL heartland. Cairns as stated before is AFL heartland and Beauaussie rightly pointed out that it will be hosting an AFL game this season.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

Beaussie wrote:
pussycat wrote:
How stupid does Roy Gallop think people are ? Its fairly common knowledge that Rugby League dominates(by a long way) the list of top rating matches on Foxtel. It is also common knowledge that there is a greater 'take up' in the Eastern States(Rugby League dominated states) and, correct me if im wrong here, but the AFL have 4 matches on Foxtel compared with Leagues 5 (though the other three are shown on delay). So what possible mathematical equation is Roy Gallop using that gives him the belief that the AFL is more popular than Rugby League on pay TV?

And on your other point, yes, you will rate much higher on pay TV next year, probably even higher than Rugby League . But we will rate much, much higher than your code on FTA.
AFL is more popular nationwide I think is what David Gallop is constantly pointing out. As for your last point about tv ratings. Dream on. Not only will the AFL dominate Pay TV from next season onwards with all games live and exclusive to Foxtel, there is no way a two markets (Sydney & Brisbae) game like the NRL will ever match the nationwide ratings of the AFL in the all important capital cities that tv rights are based upon. That is a fact proven through the history of the tv rights for each code each time they have been negotiated.

NSW & Queensland have a larger populaton than all the AFL. The simpy a
fact! Geographics shouldn't come into it, the AFL just use this myth to sell its product. For example, if you've had a 10 League supporters in Sydney, 3 AFL supporters in Perth, 3 in SA and 3 in Victoria, Sydney still dominates the market with its 10/9 majority

Another Myth. Foxtel only goes to about 30% of the market so, as far as TV ratings go you will be in similar position to us, only having maximum TV exposure of TV for 4 matches.
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

TLPG wrote:
pussycat wrote:
Beaussie wrote:
Broome and Alice Springs are AFL heartland yet don't have a team. What a silly thing for you to say pussycat. :roll:
Im only saying that because the NRL has a team in North Queensland (AFL heartland apparently) and it attracts plenty of Support.
The Cowboys represent Townsville only, not North Queensland (despite the name for promotional purposes). Townsville's population can support an NRL club - although if the NRL salary cap were to go up to the level of the AFL they would be in a spot of bother. Townsville would be NRL heartland. Cairns as stated before is AFL heartland and Beauaussie rightly pointed out that it will be hosting an AFL game this season.
Free To Air TV exist by selling advertising - Pay TV exists by selling subcription. Both of these benefit from a larger audience. Whether or not that audience comes from a more/less densly populated area means Jack!
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

FTA and Pay TV is not relevant to my point. Population has PLENTY to do with membership and attendance - and CLUB sponsorship.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

TLPG wrote:
FTA and Pay TV is not relevant to my point. Population has PLENTY to do with membership and attendance - and CLUB sponsorship.
what code has the greater population?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

pussycat wrote:
TLPG wrote:
what code has the greater population?
AFL with support in all parts of Australia. :wink:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

pussycat wrote:
Beaussie wrote:
pussycat wrote:
How stupid does Roy Gallop think people are ? Its fairly common knowledge that Rugby League dominates(by a long way) the list of top rating matches on Foxtel. It is also common knowledge that there is a greater 'take up' in the Eastern States(Rugby League dominated states) and, correct me if im wrong here, but the AFL have 4 matches on Foxtel compared with Leagues 5 (though the other three are shown on delay). So what possible mathematical equation is Roy Gallop using that gives him the belief that the AFL is more popular than Rugby League on pay TV?

And on your other point, yes, you will rate much higher on pay TV next year, probably even higher than Rugby League . But we will rate much, much higher than your code on FTA.
AFL is more popular nationwide I think is what David Gallop is constantly pointing out. As for your last point about tv ratings. Dream on. Not only will the AFL dominate Pay TV from next season onwards with all games live and exclusive to Foxtel, there is no way a two markets (Sydney & Brisbae) game like the NRL will ever match the nationwide ratings of the AFL in the all important capital cities that tv rights are based upon. That is a fact proven through the history of the tv rights for each code each time they have been negotiated.

fact! Geographics shouldn't come into it, the AFL just use this myth to sell its product. For example, if you've had a 10 League supporters in Sydney, 3 AFL supporters in Perth, 3 in SA and 3 in Victoria, Sydney still dominates the market with its 10/9 majority

Another Myth. Foxtel only goes to about 30% of the market so, as far as TV ratings go you will be in similar position to us, only having maximum TV exposure of TV for 4 matches.
Rubbish. You assume all of NSW and QLD's populations are Rugby League supporters. Ridiculous assumption.

Foxtel are keen to increase their subscription numbers in VIC, SA, TAS and WA. They are hoping AFL supporters will flock to sign up to Foxtel with all games live and exclusive bar the Grand Final.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Just something to add :wink: Its not only queensland and nsw which has massive support and numbers following rugby league. Having lived in the NT and being up here again presently I can tell you Rugby League has a massive backing. Saw massive promotions for the state of origin outside pubs today and a very large advertisement stating "play rugby league".com i think, just outside Charles Darwin Uni.

Same goes for Alice Springs, League was very well supported and played there too.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Beaussie wrote:
pussycat wrote:
Beaussie wrote:

Rubbish. You assume all of NSW and QLD's populations are Rugby League supporters. Ridiculous assumption.

Foxtel are keen to increase their subscription numbers in VIC, SA, TAS and WA. They are hoping AFL supporters will flock to sign up to Foxtel with all games live and exclusive bar the Grand Final.
In Fox's best case scenario they'll get 40%, meaning there will be a lot less people watching your game.

Theres not many in NSW, where re-runs of SBS's Iron Chief outrate the Swans. A few, maybe in Qld lets face it though there Rugby league heartland. Tomorrow make sure and have a look at the Origin rating figures for melbourne :wink:
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Fox Sports in USA to show 2011 Origin series LIVE
ARL MEDIA

25/05/2011 8:23:11 AM

http://www.nswrl.com.au/default.aspx?s= ... eries-live
American sports giant FOX Sports will televise all three Harvey Norman State of Origin games live in a broadcast deal struck with the assistance of Rabbitohs co-owner Russell Crowe.

A meeting between NRL Chief Executive, Mr David Gallop, and Crowe was the catalyst for an approach to former Channel Nine sports chief and now head of FOX Sports David Hill.

The new agreement will see all three of this year’s Origin matches as well as the 2011 Telstra Premiership Grand Final available live to more than 40 million homes across the United States on the FOX Sports Soccer channel, as well as replays of the matches shown on the FOX Sports Soccer Plus channel.

The deals sees the U.S.A. join the Pacific Islands, United Kingdom, Canada, North Africa and the Middle East, Central and Southern Africa and parts of Asia as well as Australia and New Zealand in broadcasting the 2011 Harvey Norman State of Origin Series live on television.
“This new United States agreement significantly adds to the mainstream exposure of two of our biggest events,â€
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

State of Origin is not the NRL. It's a different beast entirely and should not be used as a guide.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Nice info pussycat, thanks!

State of Origin is the pinnacle of NRL, all youngsters and pros dream of playing it and what a game it was tonight. Fantastic to see! I especially liked the finish where the players got involved in some good ol fisticuffs as the siren sounded! The best thing was, after a fair few haymakers had been thrown with only a few connecting, the referee thought about taking action and then just blew the whistle to signal it's all over. The players left, none hurt badly, and all free of any completely unnecessary authoritative action :D Just lovely to see =D> , although I would have preferred if the Blues could have given the canetoads a few right crosses during the latter stages of the second half after they scored some points to let them know they were serious. If they had have the result may have been different.

Anyhooo it was quite an exciting game and fantastic for the NRL. Of note was Ray Warren's commentary stating something along the lines of 'State of Origin is a fantastic concept which all the other football administrators are envious about'.

I agree, and think although TLPG and Beaussie are not AFL administrators, I think they're jealous too.

State versus state just never took off in Aussie Rules. I dont know what it was... poor marketing? no passion and toughness from the players? supporters just not interested in interstate rivalry?

I'm not sure Aussie rules has really been able to pull off the Indigenous all stars matchup as well as rugby league has either...? I cant recall much publicity around it, anyone got more info on it?

xman wrote:
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

No it didn't stay because we already have it at club level. Besides, thugby has a natural two state rivalry. That's why it works. AFL doesn't have that - because every time the Vic v SA rivalry is pressed, WA is left out. As is Tasmania. So it falls flat because it doesn't work.

No jealousy. I said that State of Origin was irrelevant because the AFL has no comparible level. This is about club level, where there is a comparison - and on that AFL is winning.

For someone who comes from Darwin, you forget very quickly the annual AFL game between the Indigneous All Stars and a selected AFL club. I think it didn't happen this year for whatever the reason but that's the first time that's happened since it started.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

AFL :lol: :lol: :lol: AFL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

I've been to the Indigenous all stars match in Darwin before. I'm talking at the level the NRL have pitched, ie the national televised level. NRL has done pretty well in the first two years of their event.

xman wrote: