Why Dont AFL or Union Players Convert to Rugby League?

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

That makes absolutely no difference. I have an understanding of the game that you would never have, because it just doesn't interest you - reason being that you like thuggery.

Pure and simple.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Hmmm this is disappointing. You seem to argue that if one follows rugby then they could not possibly follow AFL. A very simple and ignorant position.

I like big hits/collisions and boilovers of tension that occassionally lead to fisticuffs. I like this stuff just as much as a great mark/kick etc. If you think this equals a thug then I think you would have to call 99% of Aussie Rules followers thugs. What I dont like is cheap shots and seeing players targetting individuals with injuries as they leave the field, like what has happened in several aussie rules games recently. This is thuggery!

And if you think it makes no difference whether one has played AFL or not, in relation to their understanding of the game, then again you are coming from a simple and ignorant position. With this attitude I would hate to be a player with you umpiring.

I follow and have played both sports TLPG. I think the understanding that is developed from playing the game is something which I have and you dont. So instead of calling me a thug you really should take my advice and pay some respect ol boy :wink:

Importantly i think we've been able to establish in this thread that Aussie Rules players would find the transfer to Rugby League very difficult because they would lack the physical strength, power and toughness (not thuggery) :) to make the switch. This is something you have implied in your earlier posts, albeit using the incorrect terminology of thuggery :wink:

:>::

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

I have no respect for anyone who tries to pain thugby up as an enjoyable team sport. Good umpires have a better understanding of the game that the players because we are taught to be neutral and that allows us to read the game a whole lot better and react accordingly. Emotional umpires generally get nowhere. I would imagine that if I umpired you, you'd find yourself on report fairly early on.

I did not say it couldn't be done. I said no one would want to do it, for the reasons I stated. Thugby is a dangerous pursuit - and should only be played if you have a natural talent for knocking yourself and others around. Thuggery in other words.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
BrisMatt
Team:
Been liked: 0

Post by BrisMatt »

Hopefully Quade Cooper can reverse this trend.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Not a bad point BrisMatt. Is he actually converting? If so to which club?

I think Quade has the strength and fitness to be a decent centre in rugby league but I would be interested to see how he might deal with someone like Greg Inglis. Inglis has been menacing in attack and brutal in defense lately. I would question/be interested to see Quade's ability to defend well and his toughness to compete at the top level in Rugby League.

Also even if he succeeded and played well I dont think this would reverse the trend as you suggest. One example doesnt reverse the trend. To me the trend is that a great proportion of league players could easily convert to the top level in union and perhaps aussie rules.

xman wrote:
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

BrisMatt wrote:
Hopefully Quade Cooper can reverse this trend.
Latest news is Quade Cooper to stay in Union. A pity because I would have been very interested to see how he went.

xman wrote:
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Why Dont AFL or Union Players Convert to Rugby League?

Post by pussycat »

King-Eliagh wrote:
It's always interested me why league players are poached by other codes like AFL and RU but never the other way round? In my opinion the reasons are simple Aussie Rules and Union players just don't cut the mustard in terms of physical strength and speed. They just couldnt adapt and would not be worth the time.

The generally taller and skinny AFL players would be cut in two by even the smallest league players on the paddock. They have much less speed as they require more endurance on the bigger paddock. While the silver spoons up the bottoms of the private school rugby union toffs seems to make them much slower and less aggressive. Their tackling would be inefficient, they would be simply run over the top of by the superior league players.

On top of this i think union and aussie rules players would most probably be quite scared on a league field. The bravey required would be something that cant be coached or trained leaving the aussie rules and union players worthless.

:cool:
Rugby League poached many, many Union players over the years but since our game has been taken over by News Ltd, and bled dry. That just simply don't have the money any more.

Many off the leading Union players, poached by RL went on to represent Australia or play at a high level. Backs for some reason where far more successful at making the transition.

I think Netball would be more likely to poach AFL players.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

I dont really agree with this statement pussycat. Why and who would Rugby League want from union? The players are miles apart in terms of speed, strength and fitness. Also League has plenty of young supreme athletes coming into the sport each year because they love it, not because of the money.

Players were poached a long time ago when both sports were played at a much more amateur level. I'm talking about the present context.

Netball poaching AFL players :lol:

If they keep on suspending players for tackling I wouldnt be surprised

xman wrote: