2.508 Billion AFL rights deal

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Re: 2.508 Billion AFL rights deal

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Article today saying ESPN is interested .

Lol we have 2 yrs to patiently sort out the rest of our deal .

The more media companies like ESPN who as well as being on Foxtel also go through Fetch TV ,which surprise surprise Optus are looking at using to rival Telstra TV .

Any fumbler who shot his load early .....lol just about all might have egg on their face when the ARLC finalises their deal .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
eelofwest
Coach
Coach
Team: Eels
Been liked: 0

Post by eelofwest »

Got this of the roar today

Numbers Man said | August 21st 2015 @ 10:59am | Report comment

I don’t think we can under estimate the massive move the NRL have achieved with TV rights and viewings.

The NRL is roughly 3 times smaller that the AFL maybe smaller considering the club sizes and members. :lol: :lol:

The NRL grabbing nearly 1 billion to the AFL 2.5 billion is a massive win. They think the NRL got 1billion, 200million less than last deal FMD... :lol: :lol:

There has been an obvious move by the NRL to focus on TV as opposed to getting people to the game attending. The NRL is well aware of this trend down since 2007.

I do wonder what contribution News Ltd has had a limiting expansion is SEQ.

See folks, more proof that most fumblers are stuck in there media controlled bubble up in melbourne. So easy to brainwash the simpletons in melbourne it seems.. :lol:
Swans4ever
Coach
Coach
Team: Sydney Swans

Post by Swans4ever »

eelofwest wrote:
Got this of the roar today

Numbers Man said | August 21st 2015 @ 10:59am | Report comment

I don’t think we can under estimate the massive move the NRL have achieved with TV rights and viewings.

The NRL is roughly 3 times smaller that the AFL maybe smaller considering the club sizes and members. :lol: :lol:

The NRL grabbing nearly 1 billion to the AFL 2.5 billion is a massive win. They think the NRL got 1billion, 200million less than last deal FMD... :lol: :lol:

There has been an obvious move by the NRL to focus on TV as opposed to getting people to the game attending. The NRL is well aware of this trend down since 2007.

I do wonder what contribution News Ltd has had a limiting expansion is SEQ.

See folks, more proof that most fumblers are stuck in there media controlled bubble up in melbourne. So easy to brainwash the simpletons in melbourne it seems.. :lol:
So your happy with empty stadiums on TV?
LARGEST MEMBERSHIP, LARGEST PROFIT, LARGEST HOME CROWD AVERAGE - THE BIGGEST CLUB IN SYDNEY - THE SYDNEY SWANS
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

The_Wookie wrote:
it also says they hadnt even been approached. basically someone in the media rang them and asked. It has as much legs as the google and netflix shit.
The other myth that needs to be busted is the suggestion that Fox was caught off guard – it's just not true. There were more than 20 meetings, calls, presentations and discussions with Fox from the time negotiations opened in April. David Gyngell, the man who secured the Nine deal, rang Fox Sports and told them he was going it alone. The bottom line is that Nine went hard and did the deal.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... z3jckmJNhl
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
eelofwest
Coach
Coach

Post by eelofwest »

pussycat wrote:
The_Wookie wrote:
it also says they hadnt even been approached. basically someone in the media rang them and asked. It has as much legs as the google and netflix shit.
The other myth that needs to be busted is the suggestion that Fox was caught off guard – it's just not true. There were more than 20 meetings, calls, presentations and discussions with Fox from the time negotiations opened in April. David Gyngell, the man who secured the Nine deal, rang Fox Sports and told them he was going it alone. The bottom line is that Nine went hard and did the deal.

Mate Fox were stalling waiting for the ACCC to pass the Fox/C10 deal then they were going to low ball the NRL. Gyngel and Dave Smith Caught wind of it and Gyngel said ill give you whatever you want and here is a big fat check.

Now Rupert is upset that Gyngal and Smith got the jump on him and now he is in a corner were he has the option to either take all 8-9 games in a simulcasting arrangement or take 4 games and risk loosing massive market share to Netflix/Stan and other online players.

Make no mistake about it Rupert hates not having any control over negotiating and his only play has been nipped in the bud.

He will if he knows whats good for his Pay TV network make a good deal with the NRL and it will be for all games live with possible expansion to sweeten the deal.
piesman2011
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood

Post by piesman2011 »

eelofwest wrote:
pussycat wrote:
The_Wookie wrote:

Mate Fox were stalling waiting for the ACCC to pass the Fox/C10 deal then they were going to low ball the NRL. Gyngel and Dave Smith Caught wind of it and Gyngel said ill give you whatever you want and here is a big fat check.

Now Rupert is upset that Gyngal and Smith got the jump on him and now he is in a corner were he has the option to either take all 8-9 games in a simulcasting arrangement or take 4 games and risk loosing massive market share to Netflix/Stan and other online players.

Make no mistake about it Rupert hates not having any control over negotiating and his only play has been nipped in the bud.

He will if he knows whats good for his Pay TV network make a good deal with the NRL and it will be for all games live with possible expansion to sweeten the deal.
Why would fox lose subs by only maintaining the 4-5 games that they currently have? People will still need fox to watch their teams, so those that have fox for footy will want to keep it for footy. I can understand that they are upset that they wont have Saturday or Monday nights where they would make nice cash off the advertising. I can understand that they are upset that any simulcasting will have them showing channel 9 advertising for free. Certainly by taking away those things fox cant make as much money from advertising. So fox won't give the NRL as much money as they could have gotten even with simulcast.
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

As you said, those games arte the Dregs, He would loose super Saturday with the only night game being Sunday , what becomes of shows like Matty Johns. He probably wouldn't lose a lot but he' not going to pick any up. If he showed all 8 games including Semis, tests, WC challenge .He wont lose any subscribers, probably pick a few up. But more importantly he'd stop any of his rivals from picking up those games and getting the foot in the door.

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

I see Foxtel's major danger being Netflix but there's is plenty out there who want in.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/n ... 7492201342

http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/intern ... ia/1428821

A 5 year contract also means he has league locked up till 2022.

eelofwest
Coach
Coach

Post by eelofwest »

The_Wookie wrote:
Whast serious rivals does he have though?

You can try to pump up ESPN, Fetch, Netflix and the like, but I dont see them having anywhere near the money you want. (an opinion shared by John Stensdolt of Fairfax on Offisders on Sunday)

Telstra denies News Corp reports it is considering exiting NRL sponsorship deal

Date
August 24, 2015 - 6:28PM

Max Mason and John Stensholt

Telstra has denied it is considering ending a 17-season partnership with the National Rugby League as its naming-rights sponsor.

Rupert Murdoch's News Corp Australia reported the telco was on the verge of giving up its naming-rights sponsorship, which it has held since 2001, and would seek to stay on as only a minor sponsor.

But Telstra, which jointly owns pay-TV operator Foxtel with News Corp, told The Australian Financial Review on Monday the reports were false and that it was in dialogue with the NRL regarding an extension to its current deal.

"Reports that Telstra is looking to not renew our NRL naming rights are untrue," a Telstra spokesperson said. "We are proud of what we have built with the NRL to date and are in negotiations to continue our partnership beyond 2017. We are unable to comment further as negotiations are ongoing."
Advertisement

An NRL spokesperson welcomed the Telstra statement, saying that while the rugby league governing body would not discuss ongoing sponsorship or broadcast rights negotiations, "Telstra is a long-term and valued partner and we naturally look forward to further discussions with them".

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/telstra- ... z3jihrP24U

You were saying wookie, something about John Stensholt............ :lol: :lol: :lol: :_<> :_<>

News Corp to demand Fox Sports Saturday NRL game from Nine

News Corp executives will demand the National Rugby League reverse its controversial decision to strip the top-rating Saturday evening match from Fox Sports.

It is understood that the Nine Network, which secured the game as part of its $925 million TV rights deal with the NRL, has not ruled out surrendering the game — provided Fox Sports agrees to sell Nine a Saturday Australian Football League game.

Sources said Fox Sports, wholly owned by News, would refuse to even contemplate paying a premium for rights to the remaining NRL matches unless it can regain control of the prized Saturday match handed to Nine under the terms of the 2018-2022 deal NRL boss Dave Smith signed with Nine’s David Gyngell.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busines ... 7495525671

Now News Ltd are on there own and demanding 9 sell Saturday to C10.

Looks like News are cornered and have to come to the table and do a deal... :wink: =D> =D>
eelofwest
Coach
Coach

Post by eelofwest »

The_Wookie wrote:
I never said a thing about Telstra pulling its sponsorship so fuck knows why you said that.
The_Wookie wrote:
Whast serious rivals does he have though?

You can try to pump up ESPN, Fetch, Netflix and the like, but I dont see them having anywhere near the money you want. (an opinion shared by John Stensdolt of Fairfax on Offisders on Sunday)

So since you said JohnStensholt word is King

Hopefully now that same guy is now sticking it into New ltd you will still take his word as Gospel... :wink: :lol:

Rugby League Ratings ‏@RL_Ratings 1h1 hour ago

"News Corp seems intent on extracting revenge with a fascinating, almost comical brutality", writes @JohnStensholt http://bit.ly/1WNV7rf

by Dominic White and John Stensholt

Hell hath no fury like a Murdoch scorned, it would seem.

The National Rugby League's humiliating snub to News Corp has set sections of the Murdoch press on a vitriolic campaign for the head of its boss Dave Smith.

Some say Smith asked for it.

On day one of Rupert Murdoch's trip to Australia two weeks ago, the NRL unveiled a surprise $925 million five year deal with Nine Entertainment Co that left News, Fox Sports and Foxtel out of the loop. Bold move.

The sweetheart deal not only stripped News Corp's pay television venture Foxtel of its unique selling point to footy-mad Sydneysiders and Brisbanites – an exclusive Saturday night game. It also guaranteed Nine all the best games.

It was a very public humiliation, and now News Corp seems intent on extracting revenge with a fascinating, almost comical brutality.

First came that mother of all press conferences last Tuesday.

Murdoch personally helped to sew up a much ritzier six-year deal with rival code the AFL, worth $2.508 billion – including free-to-air rights for Seven West Media and digital rights for Foxtel's other co-owner Telstra.

Flanked by an intimidating army of big guns, including fellow billionaire Seven West Media chairman Kerry Stokes, Murdoch coolly snarked that News has always preferred "Aussie rules". (Murdoch's apparent long-held love of the game does not extend to a known favourite club.)

Read more: http://www.afr.com/business/media-and-m ... z3jjIuESxV
Follow us: @FinancialReview on Twitter | financialreview on Facebook
piesman2011
Coach
Coach

Post by piesman2011 »

News Corp to demand Fox Sports Saturday NRL game from Nine
Nca

It is understood that the Nine Network, which secured the game as part of its $925 million TV rights deal with the NRL, has not ruled out surrendering the game — provided Fox Sports agrees to sell Nine a Saturday Australian Football League game.

Sources said Fox Sports, wholly owned by News, would refuse to even contemplate paying a premium for rights to the remaining NRL matches unless it can regain control of the prized Saturday match handed to Nine under the terms of the 2018-2022 deal NRL boss Dave Smith signed with Nine’s David Gyngell.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busines ... 7495525671

Wow that's crazy if true. News won't do a deal unless they get at least a Saturday night game. Nine was happy to give them one in exchange for an AFL game. I guess that was greeted by crickets. I'm not sure if this is good news for the nrl. It suggests that Nrl games are worth less then afl games and that news won't be willing to offer much to get the dregs of the nrl schedule. It also suggests that simulcasting with a dirty feed is not something that fox is interested in for big money.
piesman2011
Coach
Coach

Post by piesman2011 »

The reason why fox want the nrl games is for two reasons. To maintain or increase subs and advertising. They will maintain most of their subs by having a few games on exclusive. People need to watch their teams after all. Simulcast will help a little with subs but not a great deal. But it looks like fox have lost the lions share of their advertising. A vast majority of their big viewer games were on Monday and to a lesser extent Saturday nights. Without these games they will make a lot less money through advertising and can't afford to pay the truely big bucks.
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol I gave you credit for having a few brains .
Then you go & quote a news article .
Lol
News are in the middle of a massive propaganda campaign .
Already some of their claims have been shown up to be 100% bullshit .

The locked out of negotiations ..
Lol
35 documented exchanges/meetings ...PH calls ,Emails .
They were stalling for the ACCC ruling on 10/fox .

Then there is the crap about Super league breakaway clubs .

Lol .
Yesterday showed that was 100% bull ..
Clubs have gripes( as in all sports look at Eddie bitching) but it has nothing to do with the TV deal .
Then there is the news article that Telstra's sponsorship/. Rights are in grave danger .
Telstra came out & said no that's wrong .

Then there was the super league 12 clubs ...with the NSWRU Waratahs as part of it .

Lol .
When this is over & the dust has settled I can see some hacks at news ltd ...Wilson,Crawley,Slothfield,Hooper ,losing their accreditation .
So they should .
& you should do some research before believing what news publish .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

He will maintain subscriptions if he takes up all 8 matches, Semis and whatever. If he can advertise 'all matches every week' he may even pick up subscriptions. If he only takes up the four exclusive matches, he leaves the other matches open for Somebody else. Competition is the last thing he wants . He has the Opportunity to tie up the major sporting codes for 7 years. If he has competition he will lose a lot of subscriptions.

As far as adverting goes, I don't agree with you. I think you will find that there will be no different to the matches that are simulcast on Fox and 7.

piesman2011
Coach
Coach

Post by piesman2011 »

pussycat wrote:
He will maintain subscriptions if he takes up all 8 matches, Semis and whatever. If he can advertise 'all matches every week' he may even pick up subscriptions. If he only takes up the four exclusive matches, he leaves the other matches open for Somebody else. Competition is the last thing he wants . He has the Opportunity to tie up the major sporting codes for 7 years. If he has competition he will lose a lot of subscriptions.

As far as adverting goes, I don't agree with you. I think you will find that there will be no different to the matches that are simulcast on Fox and 7.
The advertising is not debatable. It doesn't matter if you agree or don't agree. Fox get their own advertising during channel 7 games. Fox get nines advertising during the 4 NRL games nine bought. They wouldn't be upset if they could simulcast and still generate big advertising revenue.