Rugby Union news and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 50 times

Tahu Switches to Union

Post by Beaussie »

Interesting development considering Tahu only weeks ago called Union boring. Money talks.
Tahu defects to union
By Peter Jenkins
March 20, 2007 12:00
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/s ... 23,00.html

KANGAROOS winger Timana Tahu last night signed a four-year deal worth almost $2 million with the Australian Rugby Union just weeks after slamming the code as "boring".

Tahu walked away from a further one-season option at Parramatta to become the latest NRL defector and align himself from 2008 with the NSW Waratahs and Wallabies.

Negotiations with the ARU lasted only four weeks suggesting Tahu's rapidfire decision and Olympic-class backlflip (he said last month he would never play rugby because he would want to touch the ball more than once a game) was motivated by money.

The Daily Telegraph was told last night by sources at the Eels that annual earnings of around $300,000 at Parramatta were being cranked up to around $500,000 a year with the the Australian and NSW Rugby Unions.

But the 26-year-old whose career with the Newcastle Knights and Parramatta has included five Tests and 11 State of Origin appearances for NSW, claimed his earlier sledge was a deliberate smokescreen to cover his true intentions.

"I've been thinking about playing rugby union for the past four years," said Tahu, who has been earmarked as an outside centre by the Waratahs and ARU.

"A few weeks ago I was quoted as saying that I wouldn't switch . . . this was a direct quote to stamp out any rumours regarding my interest in rugby.

"I wanted to make this decision on my own, along with my family, and not be influenced by outside forces.

"This is why I have negotiated to join the ARU without the fanfare."

ARU negotiator Pat Wilson described the signing as a "major coup" for the game, eight days after retaining Lote Tuqiri on a $5 million five-year deal.

Wallabies coach John Connolly also welcomed the recruitment of "a proven try scorer who has played at the highest level in rugby league".
Yamirra19
Reserves
Reserves
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Yamirra19 »

Well he dont look good in a Parra Jersey hasnt looked right since he left the Knights :D

Good on him Go Waratahs they could use him with the way they are going atm :D
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Beaussie »

Yamirra19 wrote:
Good on him Go Waratahs they could use him with the way they are going atm :D
True, how bad are the Waratahs and Reds going this season. :shock:
Yamirra19
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Yamirra19 »

I dont really get Union but I am in a tipping comp and coming last cause I tip the Waratahs as they are the NSW team so that is who I will support :)

Wonder who will win this weekend they are calling them an embarrassment and the bottom feeders lol thats bad huh :O

Oh well Tahu will bring something to the team I hope :)
Scorger Man
Reserves
Reserves
Team: Richmond Tigers

Post by Scorger Man »

I followed the super 12s back in the day when big George Williams and Andrew Walker played for the Wallabies and ACT but have not watched it that much lately. Oh sorry I watched a few matches this year when young Kurtly Beale was in the Waratahs run on side and since Walks came back into the Rugby fold but not avidly. Australain Rugby is pretty dismal at the moment and I dont think we are going to be a force in the World cup. I've read some articles that France might be up there but I think that was in jest of the All Blacks as they are likely to choke in the semis! :lol: