AFL in the Top End

Australian Football news and discussion.
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: AFL in the Top End

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

crocodileman wrote:
While the Southern states are just beginning their pre-season training, we up here are in the thick of our season. Yes, in NT, AFL is played in the Wet Season and the competition started about 9 weeks ago. I must admit that I found this strange when I first moved up here, but it quickly grows on you. The players have my utmost respect - having to endure 35+degree temperatures and 90%+ humidity, but strangely heat related illnesses seem rare as players hydrate themselves well.
That is strange. Yet admirable. They'd have to be some pretty fine athletes to go through a season in such conditions, even if they are used to that sort of weather.
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Yes, quite strange but it does make some sense, I suppose. You see, many of the second string players, reserve graders and sports fanatics also play either Rugby League or Union in the Dry Season.

So, although AFL is the choice of many, some like the flexibility of playing more than one code. Many of the top line players who originated from the NT (e.g Darryl White and Jared Brennan from Brisbane Lions) also grew up playing League and decided to post their sail to the mast in AFL over League.

Also with the AFL draft and trading, players who have done well up here can slot directly into a SANFL or AFL Team, match fit.

There is a high proportion of Aborigines playing, and you should see their skill level - unbelievable, but consistency lets some of them down. Before interstate matches, teams from Tiwi Island come across and play as a curtain raiser. These men would have to be some of the quickest and most highly skilled goal-sneaks I have ever seen.

Some teams from there don't pick their best players as they have an anti-ganga policy, so the smokers get left out!
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

I'd love to one day see a team from Darwin in the AFL. Perhaps the Darwin Crocodiles. :)

Sadly I don't think the corporate support is there atm. Crowd support surely wouldn't be a problem though.
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Beaussie wrote:
I'd love to one day see a team from Darwin in the AFL. Perhaps the Darwin Crocodiles. :)

Sadly I don't think the corporate support is there atm. Crowd support surely wouldn't be a problem though.
You must remember, Beaussie, that Darwin has a population of only 68 000 with 20000 in Palmerston (25km away) so it would be hard to sustain and gain corporate sponsors. When AFL teams play here, though, more than 15 000 people attend - about 20% of the population - excellent by any standards.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

crocodileman wrote:
You must remember, Beaussie, that Darwin has a population of only 68 000 with 20000 in Palmerston (25km away) so it would be hard to sustain and gain corporate sponsors. When AFL teams play here, though, more than 15 000 people attend - about 20% of the population - excellent by any standards.
Gees, I thought the population of Darwin was bigger than that. :oops:
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Beaussie wrote:
crocodileman wrote:
Gees, I thought the population of Darwin was bigger than that. :oops:
You should see the place over Chrissy - dead as! Everyone heads "home!"
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Hmmn interesting reading croc I've always been a big supporter of afl talent in the top end. Lost the name but that rookie of the year candidate from melb last year has some real skill and very natural ability with the ball to boot.

I also wish there was a team in N.T but corporations do let us down alot! Its a big fucken shame actually. The national game has left out a potential 20000 avg crowd with atmosphere and lightning added for other ventures such as a second team in sydney! Make the game truly australian i say!

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Whilst home city support would be strong for a Darwin team, a 20,000 average (AFL average being 34,000 odd) just wouldn't be good enough for the AFL I suspect. Not to mention the lack of corporate support. Harsh and a shame, but that's the reality of the football business.

The Gold Coast and Western Sydney have a much better chance of success I think.
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Beaussie wrote:
Whilst home city support would be strong for a Darwin team, a 20,000 average (AFL average being 34,000 odd) just wouldn't be good enough for the AFL I suspect. Not to mention the lack of corporate support. Harsh and a shame, but that's the reality of the football business.

The Gold Coast and Western Sydney have a much better chance of success I think.
Yes Beaussie, but you're forgetting the 1000 or so crocodiles who live in the swamp surrounding the ground and the fact that beer sales would be enormous if an AFL team was based here.

Taxis would miss out in ferrying the drunks home because every man and his dog drives drunk up here. The only way the cops catch people is if they run into trees or power poles!
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Are you serious about the croc infested swamp surrounding the Marrara Oval? :shock:

As for corporate support, perhaps Emu Bitter? Is that the brew of choice in NT?
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Beaussie wrote:
Are you serious about the croc infested swamp surrounding the Marrara Oval? :shock:

As for corporate support, perhaps Emu Bitter? Is that the brew of choice in NT?
Not really serious about the crocs, although like me, they seem to pop up everywhere without warning. Marrara Oval is well drained, but is surrounded by wetlands as well as the airport so anything is possible! :wink:

The beer of choice up here seems to be either VB or XXXX although drinkers don't seem too particular - it's so bloody hot, anything tastes good. The famous Darwin Stubby though, is more of a tourist collectors item - never seen anyone drink one!