2017/2018 - A-League - Soccer TV Ratings

A-League and International football TV ratings and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Re: 2017/2018 Soccer TV Ratings - A-League, EPL etc

Post by Beaussie »

NRL&NFLweLaughATafl wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:20 pm
The Wanderers make GWS look pretty second rate to be honest. Their fanbase is hugely passionate while nobody really gives two shits about GWS in the same district.

AFL has had so many advantages over the Wanderers too.
More money,
Mass advertising promotion by the AFL
Home crowds in two cities Canberra & Sydney
Free entry for kids
All games live on free to air.
Starting up earlier than the Wanderers
Constant visits to local schools by GWS players

Yet the Wanderers still seem a lot more popular despite all these legs ups given by AFL to the Giants.
Rubbish. The Giants match up well against the Wanderers in terms of crowds, members and sponsorship. In tv ratings, which is the basis of this thread, the Giants kill the Wanderers in Sydney.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Oh my god, Sydney local derby last night and just 71k viewers nationwide. Yes, nationwide. :shock:

How pathetic eh? People say GWS Giants tv ratings are bad, however they rate better in Sydney than both A-League clubs from Sydney. Channel 10 have picked up a dud product that’s for sure.

Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

More viewers watching the A-League on STV than Free to air. Weird :hmm:

NRL&NFLweLaughATafl
Coach
Coach
Team: Manly Sea Eagles and Huddersfield Giants
Been liked: 13 times

Post by NRL&NFLweLaughATafl »

Beaussie wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:10 am
The Wanderers make GWS look pretty second rate to be honest. Their fanbase is hugely passionate while nobody really gives two shits about GWS in the same district.

More money,
Free entry for kids

Yet the Wanderers still seem a lot more popular despite all these legs ups given by AFL to the Giants.
Rubbish. The Giants match up well against the Wanderers in terms of crowds, members and sponsorship. In tv ratings, which is the basis of this thread, the Giants kill the Wanderers in Sydney.
Mate I am pretty sure Western Sydney Wanderers got more than 16,000 viewers last night. Which is one of the Sydney audience figure gws got on 7mate in Sydney this year.

You can't deny AFLs Giants have been given every advantage possible to be ahead of the Wanderers. Even concessions to get the best players. You name it, AFL has given them the help.
And for the Wanderers to still have the much bigger following really shows which sport Western Sydney will ALWAYS PREFER. :cool:
RUGBY LEAGUE 28 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 5 COUNTRIES
🇦🇺 🇨🇦 🇫🇷 🇳🇿 🇬🇧
AUSSIE RULES 18 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 1 COUNTRY
🇭🇲
Rugby League in Canada (Toronto Wolfpack)
http://www.torontowolfpack.com

UK Rugby League
http://www.rugby-league.com
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

TV ratings and crowds down.
FFA not panicking over plummeting A-League TV ratings and stagnant crowds
Dominic Bossi

Football Federation Australia has called for patience with its A-League marketing strategy after lacklustre television ratings and stagnant attendances raise concerns whether the competition has reached its maximum appeal in its current format.

The first three rounds of the A-League have attracted an average audience of only 112,000 viewers on Network Ten subsidiary One HD, a 15 per cent decrease from the average ratings from the opening three rounds of last season when televised on SBS 2. Compounding the ratings woes, the three games televised on One HD this season are the competition's three biggest rivalry clashes - Sydney FC v Melbourne Victory, a Melbourne Derby and the Sydney Derby, all on Saturday night time slots. SBS 2 were provided mid-tier fixtures on Friday.

Empty feeling: Adelaide players huddle before a near empty stand at Suncorp Stadium. Photo: AAP

It's been an uninspiring start to the partnership with a major free-to-air network and its subsidiary channel but there is no sign of panic just yet within the FFA. While disappointed with the ratings for the Sydney derby on Saturday night - which drew only 94,000 national viewers on One HD, 16 per cent less than on pay TV provider Fox Sports - the FFA anticipated a slow start with One HD.

"I'm not concerned if we stay on the track that we're building at. I would be concerned if this is where we land. In talking to Channel Ten, they weren't expecting that in rounds one, two and three that everyone will find the game, tune in to One HD," Head of the A-League, Greg O'Rourke, said

The FFA withheld much of its marketing budget for the A-League for the latter stages of the competition, rather than its launch, in hopes of gradually attracting more followers, viewers and attendees during the middle and latter stages of the season.

"We expect it will take another good six or seven weeks in building it with their branded products like The Project and The Back Page to cross-promote the game so people know where to find it. We will be landing at over 150,000 or 1.5 times the Fox basis," O'Rourke said.

Attendances have provided little for the organisation or clubs to celebrate thus far this season with the three biggest clashes failing to reach previous standards. The Big Blue in round one - a grand final replay between Melbourne Victory and Sydney FC -attracted 24,804 fans through the turnstiles. Of the 14 clashes between the two teams at Etihad Stadium in Melbourne, it ranked only 12th for highest crowds.

A week later and the Melbourne derby was watched by only 35,792, making it the smallest attendance for a first derby of a season since the City Football Group took over Melbourne Heart.

The official crowd announced on Saturday for the Sydney derby of 34,810 is set to be adjusted on Monday due to a technical error with ticket scanners at the venue. However, it was still the first time tickets to a derby at Allianz Stadium were still available an the door at kick-off since the first time Sydney FC and the Wanderers played there in 2012.

Western Sydney's home attendances are averaging their lowest for a season at under 12,000, though they are yet to host a drawcard opponent. There have been increases to average attendances at other clubs, noticeably Central Coast Mariners and Newcastle Jets but the drop in appeal of the glamour fixtures has provided lessons for the FFA. O'Rourke says they have learned from errors in judgement on scheduling after a glut of major of sporting events in Melbourne and clashes with other major events.

"There may have been a hangover with the AFL grand final, the NRL grand final, the whole city of Melbourne may have been fatigued with big sporting events." O'Rourke said.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

NRL&NFLweLaughATafl wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:48 pm
Beaussie wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:10 am

More money,
Free entry for kids

Mate I am pretty sure Western Sydney Wanderers got more than 16,000 viewers last night. Which is one of the Sydney audience figure gws got on 7mate in Sydney this year.
Be interesting to see the capital cities breakdown from last nights Sydney derby. I’m almost certain a Giants vs Swans Sydney derby would rate much better than the A-League last night. Remember last nights ratings were just 94,000 nationwide. :shock:
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Geez that's terrible ratings
Especially after the forecasts by SOKKA fans that when on FTA ratings will be great .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

You see ... this is the whole reason afl needed to go to western Sydney .... Australian Rules was virtually non existent. They needed to build it from scratch. This is why the afl are good at what hey do. They are building an interest in AFL where there was very little. There is still very little but hey ... if your kid wants to play afl in western Sydney ... they can ... and the amount of clubs they can play out are growing and they can do it locally without travelling across the state each week. This is the kpi that overrides anything the giants are doing . Whereas try playing Rl in Geelong ... you could do it as a junior but it’s a state Comp
Veni, vidi, vici
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

On topic please
Take your afl wankfest somewhere else
We are discussing SOKKA ratings in here .

🤣
Xman wrote
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

Lol yeah I’m sure that was meant for another thread.
Veni, vidi, vici
phil
Team: Melbourne demons
Been liked: 0

Post by phil »

The ratings and numbers will improve.
FFA will go to the NRL and ask for lessons on how to fudge the figures
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

phil wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:29 am
Oh dear .
This thread has nothing to do with the NRL .

🤣
Xman wrote
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

phil wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:29 am
Cmon Philip

Stick to Subject>>

form an Alliance with LIC in another thread and talk about fudge crowds.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

FTA viewer numbers continue to disappoint. More Sydneysiders watching AFL International Rules on 7mate than those watching two NSW A-League teams in Sydney FC vs Newcastle on One. Eek. :oops:

leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

FFA CUP FINAL LAST NIGHT 13k ATTENDANCE

LIVE: FOOTBALL: FFA CUP
FOX SPORTS 501