Fight Club: 2015 Rugby League Crowds and TV Ratings

NRL, State of Origin and International football TV ratings and discussion.
eelofwest
Coach
Coach
Team: Eels
Been liked: 0

Re: Fight Club: 2015 Rugby League Crowds and TV Ratings

Post by eelofwest » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:04 pm

BrisMatt wrote:Hi there this is my first time posting and I would like to make a comment on the spreadsheet on the first page (up to round 16) from an NRL point of view.

1.NRL averages 34,000 per game in Melb, Perth and Adelaide where there is 1 NRL team. AFL averaged 50,000 in Sydney and Brisbane where there is 4 teams (Lions, Suns, Swans, Giants). This really stood out to me.
2. NRL currently only has 3 games per week that are available to the whole population, the remaining 5 are only available to the lucky 25% of the population that have foxtel as opposed to AFL's FTA for every game.
3. The regional audience of QLD & NSW is 5,409,000 vs 2,259700 for VIC,SA,WA, TAS according to OZ Regional hence more free to air games such as in the new TV deal will mean far greater audiences.
4. AFL free to air ratings are poor compared with NRL because they broadcast almost every game and hence they get SOME FTA viewership compared with NRL which broadcasts 5 of their games strictly to a select paid audience.
5. Once NRL switches to 4 FTA games per week (channel 9) you will see their averages rise considerably
6. Once the broadcast deal is sorted regarding the remain 5 games on NRL, if some of the games end up on free to air (Channel 10 perhaps) averages per game could greatly increase for NRL and this could be Dave's Smith's plan.
7. There seems to be only 116 games that have TV audiences listed no 118.
8. Why aren't the rep games part of the averages? they are the NRL show pieces. Is it because the AFL doesn't have AFL rep matches? when people are watching State of Origin or Aus V NZ they are watching NRL with NRL rules and NRL players and the league games of those weeks suffer as a result.
9. I doubt very much AFL is more popular, infact it isn't when you include REP games, however it's numbers are greatly boosted by the availability of its broadcasts not because of its popularity.
Regards
Matt

Mate welcome to the forum.

Great post and i have been saying this for quite some time on here.

Once the NRL gets + 4 live FTA games the NRL ratings will dwarf the AFL.

Now add in simulcasting and the gap grows even more.

AFL is down close to %9 in total ratings this year alone.

NRL is up %5 this year in total.

When the new TV deal comes in the NRL accumulated ratings will be huge.

Unfortunately Brismat there is a couple of retarded AFL fans on this forum that cannot see the writing on the wall.

eelofwest
Coach
Coach

Post by eelofwest » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:15 pm

The_Wookie wrote:looks like the leaguies could pull one off finally - although WA/Tas regionals will easily account for it.

Channel 7's share price continues to fall.

Not surprising seeing as its main code rates like shit on FTA hey wook..... :_<> :_<> :lol:

The_Wookie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Carlton
Been liked: 44 times

Post by The_Wookie » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:37 am

You do know that Nine Entertaiment has lost a fair chunk of its own share price in the last 6 months? In May it was valued at 2.32 per share. Yesterday it was valued at 1.59 - 73 cents a share down.. Over the same time Seven-West Media has falled from 1.31 to 0.75, down 56 cents.

Now tell me what that means without looking like an idiot.

pussycat wrote: Ps I support Collingwood, I've supported the Cats all my life

pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 6 times

Post by pussycat » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:56 am

The_Wookie wrote:Its not part of the NRl matches because strictly speaking they arent run by the NRl, and arent part of the NRL home and away/finals season - it even has a different sponsor for the competition. They are run by the ARLC, NSWRL and QRL and are separate representative fixtures that feature NRL playing talent. The same also goes for test matches which are run by the ARLC.

Representative fixtures are however, included in the full season tally and average, just like the AFL preseason competition, Auckland Nines, Charity Shield, Internatiional Rules and everything else. That will be done next week.

AFL FTA to air ratings are relativelty poor because we measure them on a flat match to ratings basis, and we dont show the same game across the entire country. the NRL does with all its fictures, on the other hand, the AFL guarantees local coverage, no matter how small the team is in NSW and QLD. The Storm would love more than a game a year on FTA during the season - and if it was only shown in Melbounre, the average NRL game would decrease. That said the average AFL game will outrate an average NRL game when all figures are considered, including regionals for AFL games which are rarely released.

Once the NRL moves to one game on a Friday, that average will be lower - we've already seen that this season. You cant take advantage of two different cities different demographics unless you are can find a way to make it a Queensland side v a NSW side every Friday night. That live broadcast takes a hit.

Oh and the front page table is out of date, there were some issues in calculation, and that was addressed some weeks ago. Not all data is made publicly available, and this is the best I have to work with.

There may be a few technical difference, but there all rugby league matches and there all under the control of the ARLC.

On what do you base that AFL games rate better than NRL??? ? its totally untrue , ie its total bullshit. Your ratings are inflated not only by showing matches into there own markets but also by not showing the lower ranking sides in the best timeslots.

I'm not so sure you will find as bigger drop off when, 4 games are shown live as you might think,. Most of our stand alone games were shown at the back end of the season played during the ashes at . You mind find your averages might fall when they no longer have a free hit of a Saturday night.

Rugby League: - Australia's Most Popular Sport :thumbleft:

Gold Medalist : 2011, 2012 , 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 ,2018 and 2019 :thumbleft:

AFL: - The world's least Popular Sport :/;

The_Wookie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The_Wookie » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:35 pm

I base the claim that AFL games rate better on the actual figures when they go head to head, inclusive of all ratings.

Im sure we might find queensland and nsw ratings drop off on saturday nights, the rest of the country will not give a shit about league matches being on like usual. Unless its Origin.

The_Wookie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The_Wookie » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:36 pm

Incidentally did you see the ratings for the Dally M v the Brownlow medal? Not only did the AFL outrate the NRL on Fox by 29k, but Seven then went and added another million or so

pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:53 pm

What figures? the slanted bias ones you showed earlier? Pre origin we won the vast majority of matches. During the Origin period we miss out on the top 34 players, we have already witnessed what basket cases the Swans are without there best player.

50 - 60 -70 -150k , hardly the type of figures no one gives a shit about. And they get bigger every year.

The Dally M's are hardly a big thing in league , We don't need to have pretend rep teams or "All Australia" sides, we already have the real thing.

Gold Medalist : 2011, 2012 , 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 ,2018 and 2019 :thumbleft:

eelofwest
Coach
Coach

Post by eelofwest » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:31 pm

The_Wookie wrote:Incidentally did you see the ratings for the Dally M v the Brownlow medal? Not only did the AFL outrate the NRL on Fox by 29k, but Seven then went and added another million or so
Your bragging about awards night ratings.. :_<> :lol:

AFL down %9 total ratings in 2015
Australia-wide, taking in telecasts on both the free-to-air Seven network and pay television's Fox Footy, numbers are down by nine per cent.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a ... z3n7P8Kiwk
NRL up %5.
The NRL pointed to figures from OzTAM - Australia's official television audience measurement data company - that showed following 13 rounds of free to air metropolitan TV that audiences were up five per cent on the same period last year.

That included a 10 per cent bump in Sydney and 17 per cent jump in Melbourne.
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8996863

Ill take this scenario over some Awards nights ratings any day of the week.

I rest my case champ.. =D>

The_Wookie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The_Wookie » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:15 pm

Awards nights are all part of the AFL deal. So yeah, I think I will brag about how that smashed your lot, and how your getting creamed in the finals. etc etc.

The_Wookie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The_Wookie » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:17 pm

pussycat wrote:What figures? the slanted bias ones you showed earlier? Pre origin we won the vast majority of matches. During the Origin period we miss out on the top 34 players, we have already witnessed what basket cases the Swans are without there best player.

50 - 60 -70 -150k , hardly the type of figures no one gives a shit about. And they get bigger every year.

The Dally M's are hardly a big thing in league , We don't need to have pretend rep teams or "All Australia" sides, we already have the real thing.
You use the term matches, but have displayed a fundamental misunderstanding in what exactly that is.

And despite all your internationals, and origin, you are probably going to lose the total ratings - and by your reckoning it shouldnt even be close.

pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:08 am

The_Wookie wrote:
pussycat wrote:What figures? the slanted bias ones you showed earlier? Pre origin we won the vast majority of matches. During the Origin period we miss out on the top 34 players, we have already witnessed what basket cases the Swans are without there best player.

You use the term matches, but have displayed a fundamental misunderstanding in what exactly that is.

And despite all your internationals, and origin, you are probably going to lose the total ratings - and by your reckoning it shouldnt even be close.

Channel 9 paid for 3 matches , one delayed two hours. Next contract they bought 4 matches . Not a lot to misunderstand there.

With only one test match this year that's possible. Though your matches will be lower than last year. our regular season matches will be higher. So I doubt that will eventuate..

The_Wookie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The_Wookie » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:11 am

Exccept when they broadcast two matches at the same time in the same broadcast slot, and you insist on claiming its one matches worth of results, which is utterly bullshit.

pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:58 am

Its two live halves making up one whole match! And is recorded as a match by all ratings agencies and all people who report on ratings.

The_Wookie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The_Wookie » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:22 am

No its two live halves from two different matches played at different crowds and usually in two fucking states packaged as one broadcast - and is reported as a broadcast, not a match by rating agencies and people who report on them. It is NEVER reported as one single game.

eelofwest
Coach
Coach

Post by eelofwest » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:20 am

Sat TV #AFLGF #Seven #7mate Hawthorn v West Coast 2.635m (Syd 372k Mel 1.231m Bri 281k Ade 295k Per 456k) @AFLphotos

Add 900k regionals

about 3.5-3.6million.

Your in 3rd place for the year atm, my money is that you will be in 4th by tomorrow morning.