NRL TV Ratings Continue to Drop - Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth

NRL, State of Origin and International football TV ratings and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

NRL TV Ratings Continue to Drop - Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth

Post by Beaussie »

Anyone else noticed the tv ratings for the NRL live on GEM in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth continue to drop each week?

Has the novelty of live RL in these cities well and truly worn off?

It would seem so judging by the abysmal tv ratings in recent weeks. A pattern is developing that much is clear.

The question remains, why does Channel 9/GEM bother with live RL in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth? :oops:

http://www.talkingfooty.com/tv_ratings_2012.php
Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon
Been liked: 0

Re: NRL TV Ratings Continue to Drop - Melbourne, Adelaide, P

Post by Xman »

Beaussie wrote:
Anyone else noticed the tv ratings for the NRL live on GEM in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth continue to drop each week?

It would seem so judging by the abysmal tv ratings in recent weeks. A pattern is developing that much is clear.

The question remains, why does Channel 9/GEM bother with live RL in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth? :oops:

Isn't it funny how RL supporters have bemoaned lack of coverage in AFL states claiming they would be near 100k. Last night saw 21k from 7million people! :lol:
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

Once again the facts play 2nd fiddle to fantasy on this website.

The first Friday night recored the figures were 15K (Melb), 2k(ad), 3K(Perth) Total = 20K
"" " " 7K 1k - = 8K

Last night there was a total of 21K.
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon

Post by Xman »

pussycat wrote:
Once again the facts play 2nd fiddle to fantasy on this website.

The first Friday night recored the figures were 15K (Melb), 2k(ad), 3K(Perth) Total = 20K
"" " " 7K 1k - = 8K

Last night there was a total of 21K.
That's one week. Look at the season over all. The people in Melbourne Adelaide and Perth are accustomed to NRL live on Friday nights now. The novelty has worn off fast and the ratings aren't growing. If anything they're dropping.
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Xman wrote:
Beaussie wrote:

Isn't it funny how RL supporters have bemoaned lack of coverage in AFL states claiming they would be near 100k. Last night saw 21k from 7million people! :lol:
That's just awful. Prime time too. What the hell are Channel 9/GEM thinking with this dud product? Embarrassing :oops:
piesman2011
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood

Post by piesman2011 »

For the growth of the sport the NRL and CH9 if they win the TV deal, will have to continue to show the games live on Gem( even if it costs the NRL money). It will take a long time and the sport needs more grassroot development but eventually the TV ratings will improve. To give up after 4 months would be immature.
cos789
Coach
Coach
Team: Wookie is a failed pathetic ugly woman

Post by cos789 »

Extremely embarrassing figures.
Makes a mockery of those that have said "when we gunna get national exposure we gunna kill 'em."
These are the real day to day figures for interest in rl not the one off SOO theatre goers experience.

Nice try Cos.
AFL Warrior
Captain
Captain
Team: Collingwood
Has thanked: 0

Post by AFL Warrior »

The Warrior was visiting Adelaide recently in seach of that evasive NRL ground over there and noticed that one NRL games was being shown at 2am! Must be for the insomniacs to help them sleep.
pookus
Seniors
Seniors
Team: North Melbourne

Post by pookus »

Now what about if they grabbed all there best players compressed them in to 2 teams .They could sell it to a TV station who will tell them when to play it and contrive some make believe hate.They can do this at the expense of the clubs that develop these players it might only cost them a couple of games.I am pretty sure noone will notice the drop in quality when they return back to 16 teams. Theyll have a winner then.Everyone will be happy.Fools
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Pookus you sound a bit miffed there. Everyone knows SOO is a huge success. Bigger than anything the AFL has conceived in all its lifetime...much bigger. So just take it on the chin ol boy, ok?

As for the ratings, yes they are woeful. It's clear melbourne is the place with the most potential but I would be waiting another five years and putting in some more development before venturing south with ideas of another RL team. Perth and Adelaide are just too bogan and oneeyed to understand more than what they've already got...which is very little :lol:

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Pete_09
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Brisbane Lions

Post by Pete_09 »

People who grow up watching AFL would never start watching Rugby League as it is a very slow, predictable, boring sport.

It would be very hard for people in VIC, SA, WA, Tas & NT to go from watching a fast paced, skilled & unpredictable sport in AFL to that crap which is Rugby League.

AFL also has a contest for the football, which Rugby League does not have, which makes Rugby League a very dull game.

Just saying the facts
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

I know one fanatical AFL fan who now watches and goes to all the storm home games. There'd be thousands more like him pete. Seriously, your argument is so flawed. So flawed that if i wouldnt bother vommiting on it. Pick up yer game chappy.

xman wrote:
Pete_09
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Brisbane Lions

Post by Pete_09 »

Look all I am saying is people who grow up on AFL will find it hard to get into Rugby League, just like Rugby people find it hard to get into AFL cause it is a fast paced game where if u get tackled you need to get rid of the ball.

I know most Rugby people wont get into footy cause they are brainwashed as youngsters not to like it of they are out of the family, but they should give it a go
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Pete_09 wrote:
Look all I am saying is people who grow up on AFL will find it hard to get into Rugby League, just like Rugby people find it hard to get into AFL cause it is a fast paced game where if u get tackled you need to get rid of the ball.

I know most Rugby people wont get into footy cause they are brainwashed as youngsters not to like it of they are out of the family, but they should give it a go
RL backs and many forwards are faster (and stronger) than most marngrook players. You're clearly blind if you think RL is not a fast paced game. [-X

xman wrote:
Dogs
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Dogs »

Pete_09 wrote:

Re: Billy Slater one of a kind with kids
by Pete_09 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:55 pm

The reason Billy is popular in Melbourne is because Melbourne is not afraid of Rugby League, they support all the teams down there whether it be Union, Soccer or League.
Sydney on the other hand would be too scared to treat an AFL player like this. They would be like "its an invasion lets ignore him"

Sydney really needs to grow up & give AFL a chance like clearly Melbourne has with Rugby League
Bit of a contradiction from this comment made on the other thread Pete, so do you think Melbourne People supports RL or they don't. Surely if they don't like it, then they wouldn't support it :-k

And another thing, common with the brain wash nonsense, how many pages in the Melbourne paper have rugby league on it. Your rebel sports hardly have any RL merchandise, even when I was down there for the Origin.I can tell you with the brissy papers, there is certainly one or two pages on the AFL, it may be deep inside, but it is there. And if you go to a Rebel Sports there is Lion Jersey in there.

I work in IT and work with plenty of guys from Melbourne who have not played a contact sport in there life, yet they live and breath AFL. I know who is brainwashed. :wink:
NRLCrap1 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:28 am

NRLCrap1 says: Crowds don't mean squat,