2018 - AFL / AFLW - Australian Football TV Ratings

AFL football TV ratings and discussion.
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Re: 2018 - Australian Football TV Ratings - AFL, AFL Womens etc

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

TEZ has there been an AFL round be bigger than last years round on round ?

quite unbelievable that every round is down hundreds and hundreds thousands of viewers...

to CH7 AND FOX this is millions in advertising per week lost... ouch.. ouch..
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Post by NlolRL »

Terry wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:37 pm
Well folks the blood letting continues in this annus horribilis for the AFL. Total ratings for the 6 games of R13 2017 were 3.677M. The total for this years round under the same broadcast conditions were 3.191M. That is a colossal -486k on last year.

That is a loss of nearly half a million over JUST 6 games. Let that sink in!!!!! Wowsers!!!!!!!!!!

We can only hope Gilty and the boys are working away feverishly with their secret plans to save the game!!!!!!!
talk about fish bowl. :roll:

What do you expect, the pattern to change mid season? It wont. The current game style has turned some neutral fans off watching games not involving their side, and that wont change until the game style changes.

Having said that, how many viewers did the NRL get over the weekend, and how did it compare to last year?
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 164 times

Post by Terry »

NlolRL wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:36 pm
Well folks the blood letting continues in this annus horribilis for the AFL. Total ratings for the 6 games of R13 2017 were 3.677M. The total for this years round under the same broadcast conditions were 3.191M. That is a colossal -486k on last year.

That is a loss of nearly half a million over JUST 6 games. Let that sink in!!!!! Wowsers!!!!!!!!!!

We can only hope Gilty and the boys are working away feverishly with their secret plans to save the game!!!!!!!

What do you expect, the pattern to change mid season? It wont. The current game style has turned some neutral fans off watching games not involving their side, and that wont change until the game style changes.

Having said that, how many viewers did the NRL get over the weekend, and how did it compare to last year?
Just reporting the facts pal.......just the facts!!!!!!

And the NRL's schedule is different to last year due to different dates of the SOO juggernaught. We only had 4 games in R 15 last year opposed to 8 this year. I'll have a look at the numbers when I get a chance but they appear to be remaining very strong in line with the other rounds.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

Terry wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:41 pm

Just reporting the facts pal.......just the facts!!!!!!

And the NRL's schedule is different to last year due to different dates of the SOO juggernaught. We only had 4 games in R 15 last year opposed to 8 this year. I'll have a look at the numbers when I get a chance but they appear to be remaining very strong in line with the other rounds.
I have no issue with the facts. However, you carry on like it's a huge surprise every time, which it isnt.

Also, how are you getting full figures for the AFL ratings when most game's figures dont include regionals?
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

I've added in regional averages based on this years known numbers. In fact I have allocated above the averages just to be sure I'm not under estimating.

And obviously I'm not surprised at the continuing downward spiral of the AFL's numbers. I mean it's been the trend since round 1 so no one would be surprised. Maybe you're just a little touchy on the subject.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

Terry wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:52 pm
I've added in regional averages based on this years known numbers. In fact I have allocated above the averages just to be sure I'm not under estimating.

And obviously I'm not surprised at the continuing downward spiral of the AFL's numbers. I mean it's been the trend since round 1 so no one would be surprised. Maybe you're just a little touchy on the subject.
it's not a continuing downward spiral, it's a sustained decrease.

Back in the fish bowl for you Terry
Last edited by NlolRL on Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

NlolRL wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:22 pm

Back in the fish for you bowl Terry
Hahaha. Quibbling over semantics my friend. Surely you jest ololololololol!!
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

Terry wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:30 pm
NlolRL wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:22 pm

Back in the fish for you bowl Terry
Hahaha. Quibbling over semantics my friend. Surely you jest ololololololol!!
No, you just dont know what you're talking about. Down spirals get lower over time, especially when they are continuing. This is not what is happening with the AFL ratings.

Now, what was the total ratings for the NRL's round?
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

One of the few AFL games exclusive to fox yesterday, Richmond v Geelong, rated 368,000 on Fox, and it wasnt even in prime time.

Out of interest, what's the highest fox ratings for the NRL this season so far?
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

About 3.6 million. I seriously doubt we would have done any better during the Origin period last year.

A couple of k's less. Out of interest what's the highest rating AFL game this year :cheers:
Last edited by pussycat on Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

well Terry, I've added up the ratings for the 8 NRL games over the weekend and they come to 3.59m or 449k per game. The AFL's 6 games rated 3.19m or 532k per game.

Hang on, that cant be right? Why did the AFL rate far more per game than the NRL when it's usually the other way? :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Could this astounding result be because the AFL's round involved no concurrent games, so just like the NRL, every game was shown in isolation?

Well what do you know, I've been right all along!!! :\:
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

NlolRL wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:34 pm

well Terry, I've added up the ratings for the 8 NRL games over the weekend and they come to 3.59m or 449k per game. The AFL's 6 games rated 3.19m or 532k per game.

Hang on, that cant be right? Why did the AFL rate far more per game than the NRL when it's usually the other way? :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Could this astounding result be because the AFL's round involved no concurrent games, so just like the NRL, every game was shown in isolation?

It's 7 and a half games. AFL averaged 443k per game. the NRL averaged 480k per match. And during the Origin period.... Wow :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:49 pm
NlolRL wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:34 pm

It's 7 and a half games. AFL averaged 443k per game. the NRL averaged 480k per match. And during the Origin period.... Wow :cheers:
are you calling Terry a liar? He said the AFL rated 3.1m
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

I was thinking you had 7 games not 6.

NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

And Terry's AFL total is correct. That means the AFL averaged significantly more per game than the NRL despite having NO multiple games shown TARGETING MULTIPLE MARKETS.

Clear evidence the AFL averages far more under similar scheduling conditions