Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Re: AFL TV Rights = $1.6 Billion in 2016

Post by pussycat »

The_Wookie wrote:
pussycat wrote:

I think you will find that all NRL teams all appeared at least once in the Fri night slot.
Thats not hard to do when you have two friday night games.

Over the life of your tv contract you will have over 100 Friday night matches and there will be several clubs who do not appear in any of them. So it its not as easy as you make out. :wink:
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

adamj1300 wrote:
pussycat wrote:
They do spend a lot more, primarily because they have a lot more expenses.

Pretty much agree but the ARL commission are running the show now and they've barely been in business 18 months. News LTD were a blight on our game - but not no more.

I seem to recall the original ARL had $20m put aside for a rainy day almost 20 years ago. unfortunately Rupert had $500m
give up pussycat you have no idea. look at the revenue from the broad cast deal, then look at other revenue. between the AFL and NRL, :lol:
the AFL spends more because because it makes millions more, it invest in infrastructure, new expansion teams, to grow the game.
the NRL has just come off the first year of a new deal, with the extra money it made from it has all of you little bumsniffers wetting your pants. if you look at the other streams of revenue, the AFL totally rapes the NRL in this department that much it isnt funny
What was the AFL's profit again? :wink:
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
adamj1300
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by adamj1300 »

pussycat wrote:
adamj1300 wrote:
pussycat wrote:
They do spend a lot more, primarily because they have a lot more expenses.

Pretty much agree but the ARL commission are running the show now and they've barely been in business 18 months. News LTD were a blight on our game - but not no more.

I seem to recall the original ARL had $20m put aside for a rainy day almost 20 years ago. unfortunately Rupert had $500m
give up pussycat you have no idea. look at the revenue from the broad cast deal, then look at other revenue. between the AFL and NRL, :lol:
the AFL spends more because because it makes millions more, it invest in infrastructure, new expansion teams, to grow the game.
the NRL has just come off the first year of a new deal, with the extra money it made from it has all of you little bumsniffers wetting your pants. if you look at the other streams of revenue, the AFL totally rapes the NRL in this department that much it isnt funny
What was the AFL's profit again? :wink:
exactly the point, you have no idea of the last 2 pages :thumbleft: :)))
214Four
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Wests Tigers - Balmain - Western Sydney Wanderers
Been liked: 0

Post by 214Four »

please note: this post was made with my blurred RL glasses removed and with as little bias or 'fight club' nostalgia as possibl. Please be easy on me with the replies lol...

1.5 - 1.6 Billion is basically the current tv deal with the added inflation (3-4%) over 5 years. If the AFL didnt get around those figures then the deal would infact be a decrease on the previous.

I think FTA is where the AFL will have issues with any increase. For the AFL to demand a large increase on their next tv deal (above the standard inflation increases etc) they will need to prove to FTA networks that the two newest afl teams have actually increased the numbers of tv figures for sydney and Brisbane, the biggest and third biggest markets. yes two more teams would increase the amount of games shown on tv and most likely a higher total tv figure (per week and per season), but if i was just say channel 7 i would want to see higher average tv viewer figures over the entire spectrum but more importantly increases in the brisbane and sydney market(as they are the two markets the AFL is yet to crack) to justify making an increased investment. I have tried to find some figures for say 2010 and 2011 seasons and compare them to 2013 and 2014(so far) but i have had troubles finding it. can anyone (perhaps wookie) help me out there.

PayTV i think would currently be happy with the AFLs figures and their growth thus far, and i think they (PTV) would be keen to keep their current arrangement (regarding their coverage of games etc) and probably can see potential for more future growth and subscribers so i think foxtel will to be willing increase its bid but only if it kept currant arrangement.

FTV(atm channel 7) i do not think would be happy with figures and would be reluctant to increase their bid because as how i see it, the AFL cannot expand into any new markets and currently the FTA channel is potentially loosing money in some timeslots and some markets having AFL on their main and secondary channel (mainly sydney and brisbane). Also any increased fox footy tv viewership will likely make channel 7 not happy with current shared tv coverage between FTA and PTV and would probably only be interested in an increase in bid if this changed.

It also comes down to if any other FTA channels show real interest. i cannot see channel 10 willing to share coverage with 7 again but maybe channel 10 will throw a sole bid for the fta coverage. either way i think FTA will be the thorn in the AFLs side during the next tv deal negioations. i cant see either 10 or 7 very keen to keep sharing live coverage with Foxtel for some (or even all) games. (just like with any of the main FTA channels) i do not think channel 9 would be able to afford having both of australias biggest football codes, and cos of that i cannot see channel 9 making a serious (sole) bid.

I think a deal of between 1.45 and 1.55 will be the AFLs next tv deal figure. (i havent looked into internet and any other deals ie foreign network deals to get that amount.) maybe internet and phone broadcast deals etc will fill the void for the AFL and increase its total figure, i am not too sure about these areas though, perhaps someone with more knowledge can help.

"Wearing tight shorts is a bootable offense!"