Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 0

Re: the VFL caught out on their GF TV ratings

Post by piesman2011 »

pussycat wrote:
Sent an eMail to Oztam questioning the figures - here is there reply:

" The way in which Channel 7 codes the AFL matches in terms of ratings has changed; they now separate a ‘Pre Match’ program from the match itself (they also have a ‘Post Match’ program but last year they had a comparable ‘After the Game’ program). Splitting events in this way can help maximize ratings for the main event.
Matches in Sydney and Brisbane are now live on 7mate, rather than airing in a late night timeslot on 7.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact me."

Thanks

Jacinta

Jacinta Flesch
Research Analyst
OzTAM Pty Ltd

L4, 50 Berry Street, North Sydney NSW 2060 | D: + 61 2 8905 6608 | Main: + 61 2 9929 7210|
http://www.oztam.com.au

This email is confidential. If received in error, please delete it from your system.

Xman wrote:
Ok, I emailed Oztam myself this afternoon:
I am an AFL fan and have been very impressed with the AFL's increase in TV ratings this year. However there have been some suggestions that this increase is not genuine and is the result of a change in the way the ratings are recorded for AFL matches this year.

Can you give an opinion as to why you believe the AFL TV ratings have improved this year?

Are the TV ratings for AFL games calculated or counted in a different way this year compared to last year?

Many thanks for your help on this matter.
Here is the response from oztam word for word:

Thank you for your query. There are several factors which can impact television ratings; competitive programming, world/news events, weather and in terms of sport, the performance of teams in the competition. (For example, Sydney being in the Grand Final meant more people in Sydney watched than would have otherwise).

There were a few changes in terms of AFL coverage in 2012. In terms of Channel 7’s Friday Night AFL coverage, in 2012 the matches were live into Melbourne and Adelaide (games in Perth aired at the same time as in Adelaide) and therefore aired at least an hour earlier than they did in 2011.
Also, the way in which Channel 7 coded the AFL matches in terms of ratings also changed; in 2012 they separated a ‘Pre Match’ program from the match itself (they also had a ‘Post Match’ program but last year they had a comparable ‘After the Game’ program).

The games were also simulcast on FOX Footy in 2012 for the first time.

I hope you find this information useful.

Thanks
Jacinta

Jacinta Flesch
Research Analyst
OzTAM Pty Ltd
Interesting reading. Clearly the main one for me would be the live games.