Mundine v Green

Whether it be cricket, golf, basketball, tennis, boxing or any other sport - this is the place for you.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Mundine v Green

Post by Beaussie »

Like many Australians I'd imagine, I can't wait to see a fight between Mundine and Green. I just wish the two of them would cease with the war of words and just get in the bloody ring. Oh and do we really need both of them claiming the title of "The Man", particularly before they have even met in the ring:

I'm the man, taunts Green
By Adrian Warren
November 21, 2004
The Sun-Herald
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Im-the ... 76032.html

Danny Green says he should call the shots in any negotiations with Anthony Mundine if he wins his world title shot, but "The Man" says they should get it on without worrying if there is a title at stake.

The long-running war of words between the two super middleweights has escalated over the past week.

The Green camp claimed Mundine would avoid new World Boxing Association champion Mikkel Kessler, while Mundine said he would offer World Boxing Council interim champion Green $1 million to get in the ring.

Each man is guaranteed the next crack at the champion in his respective organisation.

Former WBA champion Mundine will get first shot at Kessler, but Green is assured of a rematch with WBC champion Markus Beyer.

However, Mundine said Green and himself could set aside their respective mandatory challenge to fight each other.

"If he's serious, we will work something out. At the end of the day economics paints the picture," Mundine said.

"I am the guy with the power, I've given him my offer, the ball is in his court, if he wants to walk the walk. I'm through talking.

Advertisement
Advertisement"I don't really care about his title, we can shove the belt, it's not about the belt for me, it's about whipping his arse and being the best, I just want to get him in the ring.

"I'm giving him a million dollars, he hasn't made that in his career."

Green stressed winning the title off Beyer was his first priority, but he would subsequently welcome the chance to fight Mundine, albeit on his terms as a champion.

"He [Mundine] will be the challenger, so he will have to abide by our rules, that's something his massive ego will not be able to handle," Green said from Los Angeles.

"My official response [to Mundine's offer] is I am fighting Beyer for the WBC title and he had the opportunity to fight Kessler for the WBA title and turned that down to fight me.

"He flew all the way to Denmark to sit ringside and there was a puddle below Anthony's feet when he left the venue because he saw what Kessler did to Manny Siaca, who beat Mundine, and he realises he's not in the same league."

Mundine rejected the assertion he was afraid of Kessler and said he would be prepared to fight the unbeaten Dane, though he wanted Green as his next opponent.

"I fear no man, only God. If I'm running scared of Kessler, he [Green] is running scared of me," Mundine said.

While admitting he was "very impressed" with Kessler, Mundine felt Siaca fought to no more than 50 per cent of his ability on the night.

"He [Siaca] had no energy, he didn't have the power and the pop in his shots like he always does and he didn't have the hunger in his eyes," Mundine said.

"He told me after the fight he had problems making the weight."

Green wasn't the slightest bit aggrieved that Mundine's apparent preference for fighting him ahead of Kessler suggested "The Man" regarded him as an easier opponent than the European fighter.

"It's not an insult at all, if he feels that he can beat me more than he can beat Kessler, that's great because finally, hopefully, it will give me the chance to do what I've always wanted to do to Anthony and that's beat him soundly," Green said.

Green has been sparring with world-rated fighters in the United States where he is training alongside stablemate Nedal Hussein, who will challenge Oscar Larios next weekend for the WBC super bantamweight title.
crocodileman
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by crocodileman »

Mundine would most likely beat Green in my opinion. While Green probably has more power in his punches than Mundine, he does not have Mundine's speed, agility and flexibility.

Simply put, if Mundine boxed him rather than fought him, he would win. Green, although brutal when he finds his mark, does not have the adaptability of Mundine.

I would love the two of them to get in the ring, and there would be massive interest in the fight, but I would have my money on Mundine to prevail.
MG

Post by MG »

I like anthony mundine. his arrogance is just showmanship.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

I'd love to see this fight soon. Any more updates on when it might happen beaussie? Last I heard was sometime this year and that they were def. going to fight...

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
EvilGeee.
Team:

Post by EvilGeee. »

Yes Mundines fast and has good foot work, but he's never had a real knock out punch. He doesn't have the power to match Green. Green will win inside of 4 rounds.

Here......have a drumstick.

LU, where paranoia runs amok.
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

EvilGeee. wrote:
Yes Mundines fast and has good foot work, but he's never had a real knock out punch. He doesn't have the power to match Green. Green will win inside of 4 rounds.
You can back him with me EG, I'll happily take your money!
EvilGeee.
Team:

Post by EvilGeee. »

Not my money mate. I don't bet on such things.

crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

There's always a first time - and if you're so sure of the outcome, then it's not really gambling, is it? :lol:
EvilGeee.
Team:

Post by EvilGeee. »

I'm not sure of the outcome. It's merely my opinion.

crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

EvilGeee. wrote:
He doesn't have the power to match Green. Green will win inside of 4 rounds.
Seems like a pretty decisive opinion.
EvilGeee.
Team:

Post by EvilGeee. »

It's still an opinion and I'm not going to put money on it.

However, on a game of cards..............

Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

King-Eliagh wrote:
I'd love to see this fight soon. Any more updates on when it might happen beaussie? Last I heard was sometime this year and that they were def. going to fight...
Last I heard late last year was that it was a definite for this year sometime. I'm there if it's in Sydney. I hope Choc smashes the fuck out of the wannabe Green.
EvilGeee.
Team:

Post by EvilGeee. »

Green a wannabe? I don't think so. Mundine still hasn't got enough mongrel in him to take Green.

Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Time will tell I guess. How about an avatar bet when the time comes?
EvilGeee.
Team:

Post by EvilGeee. »

OK. I'll go an avatar bet. :lol: