What a Waste!

Whether it be cricket, golf, basketball, tennis, boxing or any other sport - this is the place for you.
crocodileman
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

What a Waste!

Post by crocodileman »

As I sat in front of my TV last night, watching the last hour or so of the ODI, I just started to question what price players place in representing their country.

The camera shot of the night had to be the one of Gillespie in the stands watching helplessly on as a depleted Australian bowling line up toiled (unsuccessfully) in the final overs. Everyone gave 100% but in all honesty, with McGrath and Gillespie in the team, we would have won comfortably.

In the past I have been a partial supporter of the rotation system, but last night it was exposed for all its inadequacies. We had 2 of the top 4-5 bowlers in the world sitting out of a game they should have played in - simple as that.

Have we reached the stage where you wouldn't give your right testicle to represent your country, or is it administration of the game gone mad!

IMO, we have an obligation to the spectators, our opponents and the credibility of the game to put our best team on the field. If they are worried about resting players to preserve them for future games, then this is silly. Simply put, our selectors chose a side lacking in match firepower and with clear limitations. Sure they are all good bowlers, but our 2 best were not out there.

Someone needs to come out and explain (and take responsibility for) that schemozzle last night, because I for one, am livid! :evil:
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

Agreed.

What about Kasper!?! :x :( He choked, unbelievable.

22 off the over and arguably lost the match off his own back in the end. It's a great shame that this one over alone could easily cost him his spot in the side considering how well Lee came back.
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Surely the result is good for the overall series. Only 30,000 odd in attendance last night. Will that be beaten in Sydney now that NZ are one up?
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
Agreed.

What about Kasper!?! :x :( He choked, unbelievable.

22 off the over and arguably lost the match off his own back in the end. It's a great shame that this one over alone could easily cost him his spot in the side considering how well Lee came back.
Kasper did choke, no doubt!

The team is competitive and one bad performance may cost anyone a spot. You cannot drop Lee on his performace - outstanding considering his lack of recent match time.

Those darn Kiwis will be crowing for a few days, though!
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

crocodileman wrote:
Those darn Kiwis will be crowing for a few days, though!
Must admint I enjoyed watching the Kiwi victory last night. :shock:

It will make the rest of the series more interesting if you ask me.
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

Beaussie wrote:
Surely the result is good for the overall series. Only 30,000 odd in attendance last night. Will that be beaten in Sydney now that NZ are one up?
I'm sure it will. Might not be a complete sell-out though. But despite it being a little out of season for one-dayers in Aust, and given NZs victory, im sure a crowd of 35,000+ will show up.

Formerly Uppy80
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
Beaussie wrote:
I'm sure it will. Might not be a complete sell-out though. But despite it being a little out of season for one-dayers in Aust, and given NZs victory, im sure a crowd of 35,000+ will show up.
Will you be attending Dizzi?
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

Unfortunately, no.

I am planning to catch a game during the VB series though.

Formerly Uppy80
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

I noticed that Kasprowicz has not been included for Wednesday's game at the SCG.. Does this mean that he has been "dropped" or is it simply a part of the selectors' rotation policy?
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

crocodileman wrote:
I noticed that Kasprowicz has not been included for Wednesday's game at the SCG.. Does this mean that he has been "dropped" or is it simply a part of the selectors' rotation policy?
I heard on the news that the chairman of selectors stated he was simply being "rested".

As if. How dumb do they think we are?

:lol:

Formerly Uppy80
haz-dogg
Team:

Post by haz-dogg »

the only waste is the waste of commercial time that occurs as a game is on the tv .... such a stupid sport shouldn't be on air .... y watch ppl stand on a field all day when u can watch big hit ups and interesting things like that!! :mrgreen:
liz1234
Team:

Post by liz1234 »

only fair to rest a champion :roll: