A league secures new TV deal

Discuss the footy industry, crowds, membership numbers, viewers, sponsorship and the finances of all Australian football codes and clubs
User avatar
Quolls2019
Captain
Captain
Posts: 776
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:20 pm
Team: North Melbourne
Location: Melbourne
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Re: A league secures new TV deal

Post by Quolls2019 »

It certainly is a strange move...I can’t see it getting Paramount+ a lot of subscribers just for soccer.

Meanwhile:

The revolution of Australian sporting codes moving to streaming platforms is intensifying, with more deals on the way to decide the future of Australian Football.

“TV Blackbox understands the fight to secure Australian broadcast rights for our two national teams, the Socceroos and the Matildas, has now come down to three major players.

US streaming giant Amazon Prime Video, in partnership with free-to-air broadcaster SBS, is currently considered to be the favourite to secure the next broadcast deal which was put to tender by Football Australia last month.

But the battle is far from finished with the Nine owned Stan platform also contending, while ViacomCBS is understood to also be interested in securing the rights for its new streaming platform Paramount+ and Channel 10.”

Things are looking very good for the AFL and NRL in 2025.

Of course if both Union and soccer don’t give the returns as the streamers hope or expect, it may turn them off.
But I don’t think so.
I am surprised that they have targeted the 2 least popular football codes....

The winner of the next Football Australia deal will secure broadcast rights to all Socceroos and Matildas Internationals, Friendlies, Asian Cup qualifiers and World Cup qualifiers.


There are lies, damn lies and ratings.
User avatar
leeroy*NRL*
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5459
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:54 pm
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Location:
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: A league secures new TV deal

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Quolls2019 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:09 pm An interesting investment with the channel 10’s bosses buying a stake in the league..only 1 game per week on fta.
the 2% stake in the league would of cost peanuts.
to them it is like getting a discount on the tv rights..


User avatar
leeroy*NRL*
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5459
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:54 pm
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Location:
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: A league secures new TV deal

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Terry wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:08 am
leeroy*NRL* wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:23 pm worth $200 million in cash and commercial contra, according to sources, and contains triggers for a further three-year extension.

in the first year, it contains $32 million in cash - with Football Australia receiving a 20 per cent share, as per the APL’s independence terms brokered last year - and a further $11 million in contra, which will be gradually reduced over the term of the contract.
Given the ratings the code is currently getting on Fox this deal must be a giant victory for the administration. It beggars belief Ch 10 is giving them a Saturday night prime time game on their main channel. It basically guarantees the Channel the lowest ratings of the broadcasters every single Saturday night. Incredible!!!!
lol i know right, they must be still partying it up..
i still believe it is is overs for what the code has provided and shown.

true point, 5 years of saturday's...

surely the option that they cannot put offers in for AFL and NRL for tv rights are not true...


User avatar
Quolls2019
Captain
Captain
Posts: 776
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:20 pm
Team: North Melbourne
Location: Melbourne
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Re: A league secures new TV deal

Post by Quolls2019 »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:03 am
Terry wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:08 am
leeroy*NRL* wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:23 pm worth $200 million in cash and commercial contra, according to sources, and contains triggers for a further three-year extension.

in the first year, it contains $32 million in cash - with Football Australia receiving a 20 per cent share, as per the APL’s independence terms brokered last year - and a further $11 million in contra, which will be gradually reduced over the term of the contract.
Given the ratings the code is currently getting on Fox this deal must be a giant victory for the administration. It beggars belief Ch 10 is giving them a Saturday night prime time game on their main channel. It basically guarantees the Channel the lowest ratings of the broadcasters every single Saturday night. Incredible!!!!


lol i know right, they must be still partying it up..
i still believe it is is overs for what the code has provided and shown.

true point, 5 years of saturday's...

surely the option that they cannot put offers in for AFL and NRL for tv rights are not true...
I have nor seen or heard anything re the AFL/NRL exclusion option. They would have to be idiots to sign off on that..


There are lies, damn lies and ratings.
Terry
Coach
Coach
Posts: 3923
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:19 pm
Team: Wests Tigers
Location:
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 119 times

Re: A league secures new TV deal

Post by Terry »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:03 am
Terry wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:08 am
leeroy*NRL* wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:23 pm worth $200 million in cash and commercial contra, according to sources, and contains triggers for a further three-year extension.

in the first year, it contains $32 million in cash - with Football Australia receiving a 20 per cent share, as per the APL’s independence terms brokered last year - and a further $11 million in contra, which will be gradually reduced over the term of the contract.
Given the ratings the code is currently getting on Fox this deal must be a giant victory for the administration. It beggars belief Ch 10 is giving them a Saturday night prime time game on their main channel. It basically guarantees the Channel the lowest ratings of the broadcasters every single Saturday night. Incredible!!!!
lol i know right, they must be still partying it up..
i still believe it is is overs for what the code has provided and shown.

true point, 5 years of saturday's...

surely the option that they cannot put offers in for AFL and NRL for tv rights are not true...

I saw on social media that an AFL fan said the NRL would not be happy as Ch10 was now ruled out of bidding on RL. Vince Rugari replied that he had not heard that and believed it wasn't true. It seems fumble delusion is not solely confined to this site.


User avatar
leeroy*NRL*
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5459
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:54 pm
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Location:
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: A league secures new TV deal

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

oh ok, lol

thought it was an out there assumption.


User avatar
Quolls2019
Captain
Captain
Posts: 776
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:20 pm
Team: North Melbourne
Location: Melbourne
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Re: A league secures new TV deal

Post by Quolls2019 »

Channel 10 and Paramount+ are pushing for a return to a summer competition so as not to compete against the big leagues.
There maybe some reservations with the broadcasters over the 2nd Division proposal which is meant to be decided upon next month.


There are lies, damn lies and ratings.
User avatar
Quolls2019
Captain
Captain
Posts: 776
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:20 pm
Team: North Melbourne
Location: Melbourne
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Re: A league secures new TV deal

Post by Quolls2019 »

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/why ... 57vec.html

Anyone have access to this...can you post it?


There are lies, damn lies and ratings.
User avatar
leeroy*NRL*
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5459
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:54 pm
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Location:
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: A league secures new TV deal

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Quolls2019 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:59 am https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/why ... 57vec.html

Anyone have access to this...can you post it?
Why Ten is taking a $200m punt on the struggling A-League

Five years ago, 61,880 people packed into what was then known as ANZ Stadium for an A-League Sydney derby. Almost five weeks ago, there was a crowd of just 990 at Melbourne’s AAMI Park for a Western United game.

Sure, it’s not an apples-for-apples comparison, and there has been a pandemic. But it’s as good an example as there is of where the A-League used to be, and how far it’s fallen. (So, too, the fact that many casual observers probably have no clue what a Western United even is.)

On face value, then, the A-League and W-League’s new five-year broadcasting deal with Network Ten and Paramount+ may not make a whole load of sense. But only if you view it through the lens of a traditional TV contract.

This is not that. Ten’s owners, ViacomCBS, are not just handing over a whopping $200 million to the Australian Professional Leagues - the newly-independent, club-run body that runs both competitions. They’ve actually bought into the APL, purchasing a small stake in the whole operation.

It means the words of ViacomCBS’s chief content officer and vice president in Australia and New Zealand, Beverley McGarvey, don’t feel as hollow as they might have.

“Fundamentally, we believe in it,” McGarvey told the Herald when asked why her network is investing so much into a struggling league.

Foxtel tried to make it work for 16 years – and there was a fleeting moment where it felt like they did in the middle of last decade, before the code tore itself apart, as only it can, with a trademark civil war.

“Of course there have been challenges in the past but to a degree, that makes it an amazing opportunity,” McGarvey continued. “We believe the time is right for the partnership. We actually like to get in at a stage in something where together we can make it bigger and better.

“That’s our ambition. This is a perfect sport to do that with.”

Ten’s key performance indicators will include the usual fare – ratings figures for the weekly Saturday night men’s and Sunday afternoon women’s matches on free-to-air, and the number of subscribers that will be driven to the soon-to-be-launched Paramount+ service for the rest of the games. But it’s now really in their own financial interest that the sleeping giant of Australian sport wakes up and doesn’t hit snooze again.


It should all be music to the ears of long-suffering A-League and W-League fans. Having for so long complained about the lack of advertising for the game, they have been promised a marketing blitz on the eve of the new season, which is likely to begin in late October pending final agreements from Football Australia and Ten. Suddenly, endless soccer crossovers with ratings hits like MasterChef and The Bachelor, and regular spots for players on The Project, are in play.

“We’re not going to make this kind of investment and not tell everybody,” McGarvey said.

But there is immense risk on both sides of this partnership. The potential downside for Ten is obvious: $200 million is a lot of money to spend on something that isn’t a sure thing.

They are, however, convinced that their target demographics are perfectly aligned with football’s: young, diverse, digital natives. They believe that with the right investment and presentation, and a redux of the old Big Bash League formula, they can return the A-League to its former glory and take the W-League to the next level as the 2023 Women’s World Cup draws nearer.

People still refer to what Network Ten did with the Big Bash as developing that game. We very much hope to leave the same influence on the A-League and hopefully be long-term partners with it also,” Jarrod Villani, ViacomCBS’s other local executive vice president, said. “We think it’s the right time for this game to really take a step forward and announce its prominence in the Australian landscape. We’d like to be part of that story.“

The big challenge for the APL is they must now convince fans to migrate to an entirely new, relatively unknown streaming service. That won’t be easy. Research from Gemba last year showed that 72 per cent of Australians had maxed out what they were willing to spend on sport and entertainment platforms, and one in five people were actively looking to reduce their montly outlay.

Is domestic football enough to make them pay another $8.99 per month, even if they get a whole bunch of other US film and television content to go with it? Perhaps not enough on its own, although McGarvey admitted Paramount+ was interested in “lots more elements” of football, and declined to elaborate any further. That could mean the Socceroos and Matildas rights, as well as the 2023 Women’s World Cup, or even the suite of European leagues which will hit the market in the coming months.

The A-League itself has a lot of work to do, which APL managing director and Sydney FC chief Danny Townsend – who brokered the deal with Ten – freely admits. That work can now commence, and it’s pretty exciting: abandoned concepts like big-name marquees are back on the table, as well as targeting lesser-known stars from countries like India and Vietnam to stimulate migrant populations. Further expansion of the A-League and W-League will happen within the term of this new broadcasting deal, although timelines and processes have not yet been defined. Re-engagement with active and non-active fans alike is also a priority. There’s a long list of those.

“We all believe in the sport, that’s why we work in it,” Townsend said. “Part of that challenge has always been to convince others to believe, and when you’ve got a partner that comes to you and says, ‘I want to put your sport as the number one sport on our network’, that gives you a huge amount of confidence.

You can’t fix this with one lever. You’ve got to move all the levers in the same direction. When you get that right, magic happens. We’re at that stage – we’ve got to reimagine the game.”

It’s all in front of Townsend, the clubs, the APL, and Ten, who are not afraid of talking a big game. It’s now time to deliver.


User avatar
Quolls2019
Captain
Captain
Posts: 776
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:20 pm
Team: North Melbourne
Location: Melbourne
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Re: A league secures new TV deal

Post by Quolls2019 »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:12 pm
Quolls2019 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:59 am https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/why ... 57vec.html

Anyone have access to this...can you post it?
Why Ten is taking a $200m punt on the struggling A-League

Five years ago, 61,880 people packed into what was then known as ANZ Stadium for an A-League Sydney derby. Almost five weeks ago, there was a crowd of just 990 at Melbourne’s AAMI Park for a Western United game.

Sure, it’s not an apples-for-apples comparison, and there has been a pandemic. But it’s as good an example as there is of where the A-League used to be, and how far it’s fallen. (So, too, the fact that many casual observers probably have no clue what a Western United even is.)

On face value, then, the A-League and W-League’s new five-year broadcasting deal with Network Ten and Paramount+ may not make a whole load of sense. But only if you view it through the lens of a traditional TV contract.

This is not that. Ten’s owners, ViacomCBS, are not just handing over a whopping $200 million to the Australian Professional Leagues - the newly-independent, club-run body that runs both competitions. They’ve actually bought into the APL, purchasing a small stake in the whole operation.

It means the words of ViacomCBS’s chief content officer and vice president in Australia and New Zealand, Beverley McGarvey, don’t feel as hollow as they might have.

“Fundamentally, we believe in it,” McGarvey told the Herald when asked why her network is investing so much into a struggling league.

Foxtel tried to make it work for 16 years – and there was a fleeting moment where it felt like they did in the middle of last decade, before the code tore itself apart, as only it can, with a trademark civil war.

“Of course there have been challenges in the past but to a degree, that makes it an amazing opportunity,” McGarvey continued. “We believe the time is right for the partnership. We actually like to get in at a stage in something where together we can make it bigger and better.

“That’s our ambition. This is a perfect sport to do that with.”

Ten’s key performance indicators will include the usual fare – ratings figures for the weekly Saturday night men’s and Sunday afternoon women’s matches on free-to-air, and the number of subscribers that will be driven to the soon-to-be-launched Paramount+ service for the rest of the games. But it’s now really in their own financial interest that the sleeping giant of Australian sport wakes up and doesn’t hit snooze again.


It should all be music to the ears of long-suffering A-League and W-League fans. Having for so long complained about the lack of advertising for the game, they have been promised a marketing blitz on the eve of the new season, which is likely to begin in late October pending final agreements from Football Australia and Ten. Suddenly, endless soccer crossovers with ratings hits like MasterChef and The Bachelor, and regular spots for players on The Project, are in play.

“We’re not going to make this kind of investment and not tell everybody,” McGarvey said.

But there is immense risk on both sides of this partnership. The potential downside for Ten is obvious: $200 million is a lot of money to spend on something that isn’t a sure thing.

They are, however, convinced that their target demographics are perfectly aligned with football’s: young, diverse, digital natives. They believe that with the right investment and presentation, and a redux of the old Big Bash League formula, they can return the A-League to its former glory and take the W-League to the next level as the 2023 Women’s World Cup draws nearer.

People still refer to what Network Ten did with the Big Bash as developing that game. We very much hope to leave the same influence on the A-League and hopefully be long-term partners with it also,” Jarrod Villani, ViacomCBS’s other local executive vice president, said. “We think it’s the right time for this game to really take a step forward and announce its prominence in the Australian landscape. We’d like to be part of that story.“

The big challenge for the APL is they must now convince fans to migrate to an entirely new, relatively unknown streaming service. That won’t be easy. Research from Gemba last year showed that 72 per cent of Australians had maxed out what they were willing to spend on sport and entertainment platforms, and one in five people were actively looking to reduce their montly outlay.

Is domestic football enough to make them pay another $8.99 per month, even if they get a whole bunch of other US film and television content to go with it? Perhaps not enough on its own, although McGarvey admitted Paramount+ was interested in “lots more elements” of football, and declined to elaborate any further. That could mean the Socceroos and Matildas rights, as well as the 2023 Women’s World Cup, or even the suite of European leagues which will hit the market in the coming months.

The A-League itself has a lot of work to do, which APL managing director and Sydney FC chief Danny Townsend – who brokered the deal with Ten – freely admits. That work can now commence, and it’s pretty exciting: abandoned concepts like big-name marquees are back on the table, as well as targeting lesser-known stars from countries like India and Vietnam to stimulate migrant populations. Further expansion of the A-League and W-League will happen within the term of this new broadcasting deal, although timelines and processes have not yet been defined. Re-engagement with active and non-active fans alike is also a priority. There’s a long list of those.

“We all believe in the sport, that’s why we work in it,” Townsend said. “Part of that challenge has always been to convince others to believe, and when you’ve got a partner that comes to you and says, ‘I want to put your sport as the number one sport on our network’, that gives you a huge amount of confidence.

You can’t fix this with one lever. You’ve got to move all the levers in the same direction. When you get that right, magic happens. We’re at that stage – we’ve got to reimagine the game.”

It’s all in front of Townsend, the clubs, the APL, and Ten, who are not afraid of talking a big game. It’s now time to deliver.
Thanks leeroy
All that convinces me is it it not a great decision..maybe the us owners are looking at the success of MSL..not gunna happen here.


There are lies, damn lies and ratings.
Pippen1994
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:32 pm
Team: Parra
Location: Sydney
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 0

Re: A league secures new TV deal

Post by Pippen1994 »

Quolls2019 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:15 pm
leeroy*NRL* wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:12 pm
Quolls2019 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:59 am https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/why ... 57vec.html

Anyone have access to this...can you post it?
Why Ten is taking a $200m punt on the struggling A-League

Five years ago, 61,880 people packed into what was then known as ANZ Stadium for an A-League Sydney derby. Almost five weeks ago, there was a crowd of just 990 at Melbourne’s AAMI Park for a Western United game.

Sure, it’s not an apples-for-apples comparison, and there has been a pandemic. But it’s as good an example as there is of where the A-League used to be, and how far it’s fallen. (So, too, the fact that many casual observers probably have no clue what a Western United even is.)

On face value, then, the A-League and W-League’s new five-year broadcasting deal with Network Ten and Paramount+ may not make a whole load of sense. But only if you view it through the lens of a traditional TV contract.

This is not that. Ten’s owners, ViacomCBS, are not just handing over a whopping $200 million to the Australian Professional Leagues - the newly-independent, club-run body that runs both competitions. They’ve actually bought into the APL, purchasing a small stake in the whole operation.

It means the words of ViacomCBS’s chief content officer and vice president in Australia and New Zealand, Beverley McGarvey, don’t feel as hollow as they might have.

“Fundamentally, we believe in it,” McGarvey told the Herald when asked why her network is investing so much into a struggling league.

Foxtel tried to make it work for 16 years – and there was a fleeting moment where it felt like they did in the middle of last decade, before the code tore itself apart, as only it can, with a trademark civil war.

“Of course there have been challenges in the past but to a degree, that makes it an amazing opportunity,” McGarvey continued. “We believe the time is right for the partnership. We actually like to get in at a stage in something where together we can make it bigger and better.

“That’s our ambition. This is a perfect sport to do that with.”

Ten’s key performance indicators will include the usual fare – ratings figures for the weekly Saturday night men’s and Sunday afternoon women’s matches on free-to-air, and the number of subscribers that will be driven to the soon-to-be-launched Paramount+ service for the rest of the games. But it’s now really in their own financial interest that the sleeping giant of Australian sport wakes up and doesn’t hit snooze again.


It should all be music to the ears of long-suffering A-League and W-League fans. Having for so long complained about the lack of advertising for the game, they have been promised a marketing blitz on the eve of the new season, which is likely to begin in late October pending final agreements from Football Australia and Ten. Suddenly, endless soccer crossovers with ratings hits like MasterChef and The Bachelor, and regular spots for players on The Project, are in play.

“We’re not going to make this kind of investment and not tell everybody,” McGarvey said.

But there is immense risk on both sides of this partnership. The potential downside for Ten is obvious: $200 million is a lot of money to spend on something that isn’t a sure thing.

They are, however, convinced that their target demographics are perfectly aligned with football’s: young, diverse, digital natives. They believe that with the right investment and presentation, and a redux of the old Big Bash League formula, they can return the A-League to its former glory and take the W-League to the next level as the 2023 Women’s World Cup draws nearer.

People still refer to what Network Ten did with the Big Bash as developing that game. We very much hope to leave the same influence on the A-League and hopefully be long-term partners with it also,” Jarrod Villani, ViacomCBS’s other local executive vice president, said. “We think it’s the right time for this game to really take a step forward and announce its prominence in the Australian landscape. We’d like to be part of that story.“

The big challenge for the APL is they must now convince fans to migrate to an entirely new, relatively unknown streaming service. That won’t be easy. Research from Gemba last year showed that 72 per cent of Australians had maxed out what they were willing to spend on sport and entertainment platforms, and one in five people were actively looking to reduce their montly outlay.

Is domestic football enough to make them pay another $8.99 per month, even if they get a whole bunch of other US film and television content to go with it? Perhaps not enough on its own, although McGarvey admitted Paramount+ was interested in “lots more elements” of football, and declined to elaborate any further. That could mean the Socceroos and Matildas rights, as well as the 2023 Women’s World Cup, or even the suite of European leagues which will hit the market in the coming months.

The A-League itself has a lot of work to do, which APL managing director and Sydney FC chief Danny Townsend – who brokered the deal with Ten – freely admits. That work can now commence, and it’s pretty exciting: abandoned concepts like big-name marquees are back on the table, as well as targeting lesser-known stars from countries like India and Vietnam to stimulate migrant populations. Further expansion of the A-League and W-League will happen within the term of this new broadcasting deal, although timelines and processes have not yet been defined. Re-engagement with active and non-active fans alike is also a priority. There’s a long list of those.

“We all believe in the sport, that’s why we work in it,” Townsend said. “Part of that challenge has always been to convince others to believe, and when you’ve got a partner that comes to you and says, ‘I want to put your sport as the number one sport on our network’, that gives you a huge amount of confidence.

You can’t fix this with one lever. You’ve got to move all the levers in the same direction. When you get that right, magic happens. We’re at that stage – we’ve got to reimagine the game.”

It’s all in front of Townsend, the clubs, the APL, and Ten, who are not afraid of talking a big game. It’s now time to deliver.
Thanks leeroy
All that convinces me is it it not a great decision..maybe the us owners are looking at the success of MSL..not gunna happen here.
Yep, sure ppl spending money didn't do due diligence. Same with Man U trying to invest in the league.


User avatar
leeroy*NRL*
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5459
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:54 pm
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Location:
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: A league secures new TV deal

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

I have looked through the deal inside and out..

I think the A League think it is a great deal. with the position they are in.

it is 20million down from the 10 team league FOX bought rights to $57mill
with a further $5million for 2 more teams.

Than COVID hit and was reduced.

so Channel 10 are getting it pretty much Half the cost of what FOX Paid with expansion.



Overall i dont think this will enhance the A League much at all.


NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:36 pm
Team: Manly
Location: Brookvale
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 4 times

Re: A league secures new TV deal

Post by NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2 »

I would still watch it over an AFL game. They have to start from somewhere.


User avatar
Quolls2019
Captain
Captain
Posts: 776
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:20 pm
Team: North Melbourne
Location: Melbourne
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Re: A league secures new TV deal

Post by Quolls2019 »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:18 am I have looked through the deal inside and out..

I think the A League think it is a great deal. with the position they are in.

it is 20million down from the 10 team league FOX bought rights to $57mill
with a further $5million for 2 more teams.

Than COVID hit and was reduced.

so Channel 10 are getting it pretty much Half the cost of what FOX Paid with expansion.



Overall i dont think this will enhance the A League much at all.
I reckon there are 2 important factors involved in the deal….it ends 2024 and paramount wants i5 to n3 a summer comp starting in October, they will have the opportunity to bid for a winter comp without imposing on the soccer deal.
Having said that agreeing to a Saturday night soccer game on their major FTA channel, is very hard to understand.


There are lies, damn lies and ratings.
User avatar
Quolls2019
Captain
Captain
Posts: 776
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:20 pm
Team: North Melbourne
Location: Melbourne
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Re: A league secures new TV deal

Post by Quolls2019 »

NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:06 pm I would still watch it over an AFL game. They have to start from somewhere.
Damn, you watching will certainly boost their ratings,


There are lies, damn lies and ratings.
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest