Rupert Murdoch "We've always preferred Aussie Rules"

Discuss the footy industry, crowds, tv ratings, memberships, sponsorships and the finances of all Australian football codes and clubs
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Rupert Murdoch "We've always preferred Aussie Rules"

Post by pussycat »

Are you suggesting this might be some type of conspiracy theory? This one will be harder to pull off than the moon landing.

He is more likely waiting on the FTA part of the contact to be signed.
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

It will be interesting to see. You would think if it was a massive benefit to the nrl they would be screaming it from the roof tops. Anyway. Will wait and see.
Veni, vidi, vici
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Way to go Gillon =D

Australia’s Game :thumbleft:
AFL secures revised broadcast deal with Seven and Foxtel
By Zoe Samios and Jake Niall
June 11, 2020

The AFL secured a revised broadcast rights deal with its television partners and a two-year extension with Seven West Media just moments ahead of the return of this year's season.

Seven and pay TV operator Foxtel were finalising the deal in the hours leading up to Thursday evening's Collingwood v Richmond kick-off, and have agreed to a reduction on this year's payments based on a reduced 153-game season and finals.

AFL boss Gillon McLachlan told the clubs on Thursday night that he had agreed to a 12 per cent to 13 per cent discount between the parties over three years, in what is considered to be a good result for the league.

The deal has enormous ramifications for the 18 clubs and players since it provides more than 60 per cent of the game's revenue in normal circumstances and far more during the COVID-19 crisis. It is considered a better agreement for the sports code than the deal struck by the NRL two weeks ago, which included a 25-28 per cent discount for Nine Entertainment Co (owner of this masthead) and a reduction and five year extension with Foxtel.

Seven will receive a discount of about 19 per cent and an $87 million net benefit between 2020 and 2022 based on reduced production and rights fees. It has also secured a two-year extension on "improved terms", a statement on the ASX said. AFL industry sources said Seven's reduction, excluding production costs, was about $70 million over three years.

The AFL will now receive $730 million from Seven over the next five years, an average annual payment of $147 million each year. Seven was expected to pay about $150 million this year, with production costs of about $20 million.

AFL boss Gillon McLachlan has secured a new deal with broadcasters Seven West Media and Foxtel.CREDIT:AAP

Industry sources indicated Foxtel, which is owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp and Telstra, will save almost $30 million a year under the existing deal, which will alleviate some of the financial pain caused by the pandemic. However, the broadcaster has not secured an extension.

Telstra, which is the mobile rights provider, will continue to pay $50 million per year.

The AFL had been in negotiations on the terms of its existing $2.5 billion six-year contract, which was secured by Foxtel, Seven and mobile rights partner Telstra and set to expire in 2022, after the coronavirus pandemic shut down the season and caused losses in advertising and subscription revenue for the broadcasters.

The Age reported last week that the AFL was on the verge of securing a two-year extension of its television rights deal with Seven in exchange for a cost reduction, but that Foxtel was holding out on an extension for a larger discount.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/afl-se ... 551nc.html
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

pussycat wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:15 am
The Deals are great Fred , especially the Fox one. Economic cuts are needed in these times. In 2003 Fox will extend it deal for as much or more than the original total. With another QLD team coming on board I suspect the FTA carrier will do similar.

I think I read the AFL will be taking a reduction for there extension.
:(/ :(/ :(/

How ya feeling now pussycat? :rofl:
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

Well there you go. It will be interesting to see how the nrl folk here spin this .... we could play bingo in the excuses. If you could assign an excuse to each person and when it is called out you have to yell “ conspiracy”. And you win.

I’ll take “The nrl deal is still better because they have less adds”
Veni, vidi, vici
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol I'll await more details
As news is saying no deal with fox yet .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Foxtel would be crazy to not come to the party with the AFL. TV viewers for the return of the AFL last night were huge across Seven and Fox Footy.
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Beaussie wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:01 pm
pussycat wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:15 am
The Deals are great Fred , especially the Fox one. Economic cuts are needed in these times. In 2003 Fox will extend it deal for as much or more than the original total. With another QLD team coming on board I suspect the FTA carrier will do similar.

I think I read the AFL will be taking a reduction for there extension.
:(/ :(/ :(/

How ya feeling now pussycat? :rofl:

Good Beau, How are you feeling?

We have an extension with fox (you know the people pay most of the money) for the next 5 years at an increased amount. What is it that you have? or think you have???

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:26 pm
Lol I'll await more details
As news is saying no deal with fox yet .
The best they could get was 2 more years from c7.

pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

The_Wookie wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:08 am
pussycat wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:01 am

Good Beau, How are you feeling?

We have an extension with fox (you know the people pay most of the money) for the next 5 years at an increased amount. What is it that you have? or think you have???
Did you actually get an increased amount from Fox though. Ill wait until these some tangible figures.
The papers would know better than me I suspect. They all speculated about it as being an increased amount. So in all likelihood it is. The main part is its a 5 year extension.

pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Beaussie wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:20 am
Foxtel would be crazy to not come to the party with the AFL. TV viewers for the return of the AFL last night were huge across Seven and Fox Footy.
REALLY! What is it the AFL average 165k ? , what is it the NRL avg. 240k ?. Didn't Fox say they could no longer afford to sign the Minnow events?

Wasn't AFL the apple of Ruperts eye.

Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

Beaussie wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:20 am
It's ok beatup, Gilty will eventually get ya there pal. He hasn't got the ammunition Peter The Great had to bargain with Fox......RL......Fox's highest rating sport. A bit of grovelling and begging from the prancing poodle should do the job. Chin up pal!!!!!!!
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

AFL takes TV hit as Foxtel, Seven finalise deal

Foxtel has joined Channel 7 in signing a discounted TV rights deal with the AFL after negotiations went into the early hours of the morning, but there was no extension with the pay-TV broadcaster

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/subscribe/ ... mmand-form

pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Did I read that you have moved to Tasmania Wookie?

pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Did I read that you have moved to Tasmania Wookie?