How the hell does a pokie empire get $24m free spin from government?

Discuss the footy industry, crowds, membership numbers, viewers, sponsorship and the finances of all Australian football codes and clubs
Post Reply
User avatar
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 9548
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:38 pm
Team: Sydney Swans
Location: Sydney
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 15 times
Contact:

How the hell does a pokie empire get $24m free spin from government?

Post by Beaussie »

The sports rorts continue with the Penrith Panthers Group being major beneficiaries this time round. Don’t suppose the Panthers Group would feel any moral obligation to not take our hard earned taxpayer dollars in this instance eh?

How the hell does a pokie empire get $24m free spin from government?
Peter FitzSimons
Columnist and author
February 12, 2020

Saaaaay, I might have already mentioned this, I think? Does it ring a bell your way that I may have already written about the horrors of public monies being given to sporting enterprises that should be quite capable of looking after themselves?

I think I mentioned it on #StadiumSplurge, yes? You remember, that whole thing of putting two or three billion dollars towards the knocking down and rebuilding of already fine stadiums, all to provide state-of-the-art infrastructure to sporting businesses that are already earning millions and paying no tax?

You know what, I think I sounded a similar theme when the government handed over huge wads of cash so rugby league clubs could have “centres of excellence”, basically mini #StadiumSplurges along much the same lines – albeit with nominal public access, but I’ll believe it when I see it.

And I distinctly remember having one or two goes at governments handing over yet more taxpayer largesse to already rich sports, such as league, AFL, union and soccer, all of which seemed to be particularly expensive photo opportunities where the relevant politicians get the glory of giving money to beloved sports, all while the cameras roll – with precious little accountability afterwards.

Just in the last fortnight, I’ve decried the whole #SportsRortsII thing, where we have seen the federal government doling out the better part of $100 million not according to the public’s need, but according to their own need to win marginal seats. (Say, Mosman Rowing Club, how 'about a lazy 500K between friends, just before Tony Abbott faces the fight of his life against Zali Steggall in this very electorate.)


RELATED ARTICLE
Image
NSW Premier Mike Baird at Penrith Panthers announcing $12 Million for the western Sydney community and sports centre at Penrith Panthers in March 2015.

EXCLUSIVE
GOVERNMENT GRANTS

How a $24 million sports grant built Panthers' new function centre and car park



Now, if you thought there is no end to these outrages ... you’d be right!

For just this week, this masthead's Nigel Gladstone broke another big story right in the frame of precisely the same thing.

See, back before the 2015 state election, then Premier Mike Baird and Sports Minister Stuart Ayres made the big announcement in Ayres’ electorate of Penrith as the cameras rolled.

The NSW Government would be giving $12m as its half of a grant to fund “grassroots sport” as they built the “Western Sydney Community and Sports Centre” to provide ... wait for it ... “space for netball, futsal, wheelchair rugby and other indoor sports” and “a large gymnasium.”

The other half had already been committed two years earlier by the then federal Labor government of Kevin Rudd, even though the national auditors deemed the project as “not recommended” with “no identifiable positive impact on the broader community.”

Too late. The Rudd government got their positive announcement, just as the Baird government got theirs.

Headlines. News bulletins. Feel-good stuff.

But what ACTUALLY happened?

Tell 'em, my colleague Nigel Gladstone.

“[That money] in western Sydney will instead go towards a conference centre and an underground car park for the mammoth pokies-funded Panthers Group ... The site, which is adjacent to Panthers Leagues Club in Penrith, will also contain a 150-room hotel as part of a redevelopment now estimated to cost $88m in total.”


Get it?

GET IT?

Despite all the promises, the public at large got absolutely nothing in return for their taxpayers dollars. In good faith, many of them probably voted for the governments of both stripes on the strength of it.

But, in the end, it is the same thing. After the cameras left, the government did the deal, and the public is left scratching at the door.

And who did benefit?

Well, that would be the Penny Panthers group – which, as Gladstone noted, now has six licensed clubs – with a total income of more than $150m, including annual poker machine revenue of $66m. And THIS is the entity that got the taxpayer dollars.

Just as always happens!

The question, friends, is not why am I always pissed off about this kind of stuff. It is why aren’t you.

It is absolutely, freaking outrageous.

Twitter: @Peter_Fitz


https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/how-th ... 5408x.html



Terry
Coach
Coach
Posts: 3022
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:19 pm
Team: Wests Tigers
Location:
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times

Re: How the hell does a pokie empire get $24m free spin from government?

Post by Terry »

Beaussie wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:22 am
The sports rorts continue with the Penrith Panthers Group being major beneficiaries this time round. Don’t suppose the Panthers Group would feel any moral obligation to not take our hard earned taxpayer dollars in this instance eh?

How the hell does a pokie empire get $24m free spin from government?
Peter FitzSimons
Columnist and author
February 12, 2020

Saaaaay, I might have already mentioned this, I think? Does it ring a bell your way that I may have already written about the horrors of public monies being given to sporting enterprises that should be quite capable of looking after themselves?

I think I mentioned it on #StadiumSplurge, yes? You remember, that whole thing of putting two or three billion dollars towards the knocking down and rebuilding of already fine stadiums, all to provide state-of-the-art infrastructure to sporting businesses that are already earning millions and paying no tax?

You know what, I think I sounded a similar theme when the government handed over huge wads of cash so rugby league clubs could have “centres of excellence”, basically mini #StadiumSplurges along much the same lines – albeit with nominal public access, but I’ll believe it when I see it.

And I distinctly remember having one or two goes at governments handing over yet more taxpayer largesse to already rich sports, such as league, AFL, union and soccer, all of which seemed to be particularly expensive photo opportunities where the relevant politicians get the glory of giving money to beloved sports, all while the cameras roll – with precious little accountability afterwards.

Just in the last fortnight, I’ve decried the whole #SportsRortsII thing, where we have seen the federal government doling out the better part of $100 million not according to the public’s need, but according to their own need to win marginal seats. (Say, Mosman Rowing Club, how 'about a lazy 500K between friends, just before Tony Abbott faces the fight of his life against Zali Steggall in this very electorate.)


RELATED ARTICLE
Image
NSW Premier Mike Baird at Penrith Panthers announcing $12 Million for the western Sydney community and sports centre at Penrith Panthers in March 2015.

EXCLUSIVE
GOVERNMENT GRANTS

How a $24 million sports grant built Panthers' new function centre and car park



Now, if you thought there is no end to these outrages ... you’d be right!

For just this week, this masthead's Nigel Gladstone broke another big story right in the frame of precisely the same thing.

See, back before the 2015 state election, then Premier Mike Baird and Sports Minister Stuart Ayres made the big announcement in Ayres’ electorate of Penrith as the cameras rolled.

The NSW Government would be giving $12m as its half of a grant to fund “grassroots sport” as they built the “Western Sydney Community and Sports Centre” to provide ... wait for it ... “space for netball, futsal, wheelchair rugby and other indoor sports” and “a large gymnasium.”

The other half had already been committed two years earlier by the then federal Labor government of Kevin Rudd, even though the national auditors deemed the project as “not recommended” with “no identifiable positive impact on the broader community.”

Too late. The Rudd government got their positive announcement, just as the Baird government got theirs.

Headlines. News bulletins. Feel-good stuff.

But what ACTUALLY happened?

Tell 'em, my colleague Nigel Gladstone.

“[That money] in western Sydney will instead go towards a conference centre and an underground car park for the mammoth pokies-funded Panthers Group ... The site, which is adjacent to Panthers Leagues Club in Penrith, will also contain a 150-room hotel as part of a redevelopment now estimated to cost $88m in total.”


Get it?

GET IT?

Despite all the promises, the public at large got absolutely nothing in return for their taxpayers dollars. In good faith, many of them probably voted for the governments of both stripes on the strength of it.

But, in the end, it is the same thing. After the cameras left, the government did the deal, and the public is left scratching at the door.

And who did benefit?

Well, that would be the Penny Panthers group – which, as Gladstone noted, now has six licensed clubs – with a total income of more than $150m, including annual poker machine revenue of $66m. And THIS is the entity that got the taxpayer dollars.

Just as always happens!

The question, friends, is not why am I always pissed off about this kind of stuff. It is why aren’t you.

It is absolutely, freaking outrageous.

Twitter: @Peter_Fitz


https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/how-th ... 5408x.html
Pal, anything written by Peter FitzIdiot is immediately dismissed by middle Australia. Hitch your wagon to his and see the wheels fall off and enjoy the taste of egg all over ya face!!!!!!



Fred
Coach
Coach
Posts: 6963
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:13 am
Team: Collingwood
Location: Gold Coast
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 63 times

Re: How the hell does a pokie empire get $24m free spin from government?

Post by Fred »

Any hope of addressing the points made in the article Terry? This is a familiar pattern of yours.


Wait for it..............Pal!


Veni, vidi, vici

Fred
Coach
Coach
Posts: 6963
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:13 am
Team: Collingwood
Location: Gold Coast
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 63 times

Re: How the hell does a pokie empire get $24m free spin from government?

Post by Fred »

Commentary:


So now terry will use my post to further avoid the points made in the article. I shall point this pattern out going forward.


Veni, vidi, vici

Terry
Coach
Coach
Posts: 3022
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:19 pm
Team: Wests Tigers
Location:
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times

Re: How the hell does a pokie empire get $24m free spin from government?

Post by Terry »

Fred wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:15 am
Commentary:


So now terry will use my post to further avoid the points made in the article. I shall point this pattern out going forward.
Getting a bit cwanky are we Freddy lolololol!!!!!!! It's like this pal: I trust nothing that FitzIdiot says. He has been wrong on every major issue every time he opens his cavernous mouth. Let alone the fact he is notoriously loose with the truth. Which is the reason real historians call him a 'comic strip' author.

As to his latest rant: I would need more information before coming to a reasoned position. I would need to hear from Penrith Panthers and the relevant governments responsible for the promises, alleged changes and final allocation of the monies stated. You know...…..the other side of the story. Proof. Evidence,

It may come as a surprise to you pal but not everything written in newspapers is the gospel truth lolololol!!!! Let alone from serial obfuscators like FitzIdiot.

I will wait till more information comes to hand and give you my full and frank opinion at that time pal. Until then I feel humbled that you value my opinion so much you demand to know it on so many issues. Thanks for the vote of confidence pal!!!

Have a great day and keep morale high!!!



User avatar
leagueiscrap
Banned
Posts: 7511
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 11:08 am
Team: Essendon
Location:
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: How the hell does a pokie empire get $24m free spin from government?

Post by leagueiscrap »

Terry wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:06 pm
Fred wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:15 am
Commentary:


So now terry will use my post to further avoid the points made in the article. I shall point this pattern out going forward.
Getting a bit cwanky are we Freddy lolololol!!!!!!! It's like this pal: I trust nothing that FitzIdiot says. He has been wrong on every major issue every time he opens his cavernous mouth. Let alone the fact he is notoriously loose with the truth. Which is the reason real historians call him a 'comic strip' author.

As to his latest rant: I would need more information before coming to a reasoned position. I would need to hear from Penrith Panthers and the relevant governments responsible for the promises, alleged changes and final allocation of the monies stated. You know...…..the other side of the story. Proof. Evidence,

It may come as a surprise to you pal but not everything written in newspapers is the gospel truth lolololol!!!! Let alone from serial obfuscators like FitzIdiot.

I will wait till more information comes to hand and give you my full and frank opinion at that time pal. Until then I feel humbled that you value my opinion so much you demand to know it on so many issues. Thanks for the vote of confidence pal!!!

Have a great day and keep morale high!!!
It’s only true terry when it suits the objective of your argument isn’t is?

Usual nrl club hand outs at its finest


Australian sporting sponsorship
AFL excess of $50m
A league $30 million plus
ARU $27 million
NRLOL $25 million

Leagueiscrap
and she still changes your nappies as well!
pusseycat replys
Only when I have an accident.

Terry
Coach
Coach
Posts: 3022
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:19 pm
Team: Wests Tigers
Location:
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times

Re: How the hell does a pokie empire get $24m free spin from government?

Post by Terry »

leagueiscrap wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:25 pm
Terry wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:06 pm
Fred wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:15 am
Commentary:


So now terry will use my post to further avoid the points made in the article. I shall point this pattern out going forward.
Getting a bit cwanky are we Freddy lolololol!!!!!!! It's like this pal: I trust nothing that FitzIdiot says. He has been wrong on every major issue every time he opens his cavernous mouth. Let alone the fact he is notoriously loose with the truth. Which is the reason real historians call him a 'comic strip' author.

As to his latest rant: I would need more information before coming to a reasoned position. I would need to hear from Penrith Panthers and the relevant governments responsible for the promises, alleged changes and final allocation of the monies stated. You know...…..the other side of the story. Proof. Evidence,

It may come as a surprise to you pal but not everything written in newspapers is the gospel truth lolololol!!!! Let alone from serial obfuscators like FitzIdiot.

I will wait till more information comes to hand and give you my full and frank opinion at that time pal. Until then I feel humbled that you value my opinion so much you demand to know it on so many issues. Thanks for the vote of confidence pal!!!

Have a great day and keep morale high!!!
It’s only true terry when it suits the objective of your argument isn’t is?

Usual nrl club hand outs at its finest
Oh the irony lololololololol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A fumbling zealot whinging about alleged NRL club hand outs lololololol!!!!!!!

I suggest you re-read my beautifully articulated post pal. If evidence of wrong doing or malfeasance comes to light I will comment appropriately at that time. At the moment we have un-sourced un-validated allegations.

You may want to take heed pal. Its best to be fully informed rather than go off and be proven an idiot lolololoo!!!! Know what I mean lololol???????



User avatar
leeroy*NRL*
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4369
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:54 pm
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Location:
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 16 times

Re: How the hell does a pokie empire get $24m free spin from government?

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

strikes me Pink how this deal even went through, Panthers have the money and have shown what they plan to do with there money..

By making more money through building more assets... getting government assistance makes zero sense.

only way i can see it was done was on behalf of the community


Btw i also think Peter Fitz > wanker is a knob job...

alot of his articles he prints always seems to be wrong or proven to be wrong or voted by the public and prooved invalid..

hes a complete knob > End of



User avatar
The_Wookie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 6312
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:22 am
Team: Carlton
Location:
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 71 times
Contact:

Re: How the hell does a pokie empire get $24m free spin from government?

Post by The_Wookie »

guys like Fitz, Rothfield and Masters exist to troll everyone else. Check everything and then check it again.


pussycat wrote: Ps I support Collingwood, I've supported the Cats all my life
Image

User avatar
leeroy*NRL*
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4369
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:54 pm
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Location:
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 16 times

Re: How the hell does a pokie empire get $24m free spin from government?

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

yeah Fitz and Buzz (OMG click Bait)
articles are painful

Masters can right a good article when he wants too.. yes i know he has a vendetta against the AFL ... lol



User avatar
leagueiscrap
Banned
Posts: 7511
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 11:08 am
Team: Essendon
Location:
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: How the hell does a pokie empire get $24m free spin from government?

Post by leagueiscrap »

Terry wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:07 pm
leagueiscrap wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:25 pm
Terry wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:06 pm


Getting a bit cwanky are we Freddy lolololol!!!!!!! It's like this pal: I trust nothing that FitzIdiot says. He has been wrong on every major issue every time he opens his cavernous mouth. Let alone the fact he is notoriously loose with the truth. Which is the reason real historians call him a 'comic strip' author.

As to his latest rant: I would need more information before coming to a reasoned position. I would need to hear from Penrith Panthers and the relevant governments responsible for the promises, alleged changes and final allocation of the monies stated. You know...…..the other side of the story. Proof. Evidence,

It may come as a surprise to you pal but not everything written in newspapers is the gospel truth lolololol!!!! Let alone from serial obfuscators like FitzIdiot.

I will wait till more information comes to hand and give you my full and frank opinion at that time pal. Until then I feel humbled that you value my opinion so much you demand to know it on so many issues. Thanks for the vote of confidence pal!!!

Have a great day and keep morale high!!!
It’s only true terry when it suits the objective of your argument isn’t is?

Usual nrl club hand outs at its finest
Oh the irony lololololololol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A fumbling zealot whinging about alleged NRL club hand outs lololololol!!!!!!!

I suggest you re-read my beautifully articulated post pal. If evidence of wrong doing or malfeasance comes to light I will comment appropriately at that time. At the moment we have un-sourced un-validated allegations.

You may want to take heed pal. Its best to be fully informed rather than go off and be proven an idiot lolololoo!!!! Know what I mean lololol???????
Stick to reality Terry! Like The leagues clubs are nothing but a mini Casio with a nrl club attached for novelty purposes.

a poke group that turns over hundreds of millions still can’t justify building basic facilities for its own club!


Australian sporting sponsorship
AFL excess of $50m
A league $30 million plus
ARU $27 million
NRLOL $25 million

Leagueiscrap
and she still changes your nappies as well!
pusseycat replys
Only when I have an accident.

Terry
Coach
Coach
Posts: 3022
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:19 pm
Team: Wests Tigers
Location:
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times

Re: How the hell does a pokie empire get $24m free spin from government?

Post by Terry »

The_Wookie wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:05 pm
guys like Fitz, Rothfield and Masters exist to troll everyone else. Check everything and then check it again.
We're on a unity ticket there Wookster!!! FitzIdiot and Rothfield are shameless bottom dwellers. Roy is usually ok but you gotta understand that he has got agendas!!

Two great minds...……….thinking alike!!!! Great work Wookie!!!!!!



User avatar
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 9548
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:38 pm
Team: Sydney Swans
Location: Sydney
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 15 times
Contact:

Re: How the hell does a pokie empire get $24m free spin from government?

Post by Beaussie »

Terry wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:07 pm
leagueiscrap wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:25 pm
Terry wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:06 pm


Getting a bit cwanky are we Freddy lolololol!!!!!!! It's like this pal: I trust nothing that FitzIdiot says. He has been wrong on every major issue every time he opens his cavernous mouth. Let alone the fact he is notoriously loose with the truth. Which is the reason real historians call him a 'comic strip' author.

As to his latest rant: I would need more information before coming to a reasoned position. I would need to hear from Penrith Panthers and the relevant governments responsible for the promises, alleged changes and final allocation of the monies stated. You know...…..the other side of the story. Proof. Evidence,

It may come as a surprise to you pal but not everything written in newspapers is the gospel truth lolololol!!!! Let alone from serial obfuscators like FitzIdiot.

I will wait till more information comes to hand and give you my full and frank opinion at that time pal. Until then I feel humbled that you value my opinion so much you demand to know it on so many issues. Thanks for the vote of confidence pal!!!

Have a great day and keep morale high!!!
It’s only true terry when it suits the objective of your argument isn’t is?

Usual nrl club hand outs at its finest
Oh the irony lololololololol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A fumbling zealot whinging about alleged NRL club hand outs lololololol!!!!!!!

I suggest you re-read my beautifully articulated post pal. If evidence of wrong doing or malfeasance comes to light I will comment appropriately at that time. At the moment we have un-sourced un-validated allegations.

You may want to take heed pal. Its best to be fully informed rather than go off and be proven an idiot lolololoo!!!! Know what I mean lololol???????


So taxpayer dollars intended to fund “grassroots sports” that are actually used to fund a new function centre and car park for the Panthers Group is not evidence of something wrong here? FFS... seriously??? :hmm:

Oh and Fitzy was not the journalist who first revealed this rort. Open your eyes.

How a $24 million sports grant built Panthers' new function centre and car park
By Nigel Gladstone
February 9, 2020

A $24 million state and federal government grant that was supposed to fund "grassroots sport" in western Sydney will instead go towards a conference centre and an underground car park for the mammoth pokies-funded Panthers Group.

Penrith MP Stuart Ayres, now the minister for jobs, tourism and western Sydney, stood at Penrith Panthers with then-premier Mike Baird four days before the 2015 state election to announce a half share in the $24 million grant to build "indoor sporting facilities like we've never seen before".

But five years later, instead of "space for netball, futsal, wheelchair rugby and other indoor sports" and "a large gymnasium", the Western Sydney Community and Sports Centre (WSCSC) became a conference centre after Panthers quietly made new plans that wiped out the sporting promises.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/how ... 53vdr.html


"One in every 24 Australians is now a member of an AFL club, a sign that the national reach of Australian football has never been greater," League CEO Gillon McLachlan said.

User avatar
leagueiscrap
Banned
Posts: 7511
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 11:08 am
Team: Essendon
Location:
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: How the hell does a pokie empire get $24m free spin from government?

Post by leagueiscrap »

If the nrlol clubs and their owners aren’t scamming money from the people through the pokes they are scamming the tax payer to build better facilities for their mini casinos


Australian sporting sponsorship
AFL excess of $50m
A league $30 million plus
ARU $27 million
NRLOL $25 million

Leagueiscrap
and she still changes your nappies as well!
pusseycat replys
Only when I have an accident.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest