Rugby Union news and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Western Force

Post by Beaussie »

You gotta feel for the poor buggas. A new team, new season and yet still to post a victory. They've come awfully close in the past couple of weeks too. Surely a victory for the new franchise aint far off. Wooden spoon is just about a certainty though one would think.
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:
Been liked: 0

Post by Willis 21 »

This was always on the cards that they would be shyte....

There is not enough depth in OZ Rugby for 3 teams at this level, let alone 4....
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Why don't they just buy the players required? They have a very healthy membership and sponsorship base to draw on. Crowds despite their poor on field form have been fantastic. Would be interesting to see if junior/senior rugby ranks have increased in WA and what effect rugby has had on the development of rugby league in Western Australia. My guess is the WARL is struggling even more these days.
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Willis 21 »

Where can they buy them from when there are very limited choices to begin with??

They can only get outside backs from RL, and the games are won and lost in the forwards...

I believe that there is a maximum limit that the Aus Super 14 teams can pay their players - $150,000 per year, so its up to the ARU to top up the salaries of the top 30 or so players that regulary play for the Wallabies...

They also have to convince QLD and NSW players to move over to the other side of the country...So in most cases they can only get the fringe players that are looking for an opportunity.

They are going to struggle for a while I think... We will see how much patience the fans over there have..
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Isn't the Super 14 played outside of Australia too? What's stopping the Force buying players from NZ, South Africa or even other rugby playing nations of the world? :?

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Willis 21 »

It seems that the three countries just pick their own nationalities for their super 14 sides - there are a few exceptions .. I can only think of the Fijian winger that plays for Auckland, and there is a Kiwi fly half playing for one of the SA sides...

I'm not sure of the reason...
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Seems strange the Super 14 clubs would limit the talent pool available in such a way. Imagine Johnny Wilkinson playing for the Western Force. His goals alone would have no doubt seen them register a win so far.
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Willis 21 »

Yeah, but as I said, the most the Super 14 sides can offer a player is $150K a season. I dont think the ARU i going to pay more money to a foreign player... do you??

Johnny would laugh at $150k I would imagine....
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Finally a win for the Force. Well done fella. =D>