Been liked: 0

USA -vs- Australia (Liberty-Bell Cup) - Report

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

Score

1st Liberty-Bell Cup:

Australia Kangaroos 36

def.

USA Tomahawks 24

The Americans shocked the Kangaroos big time, nearly pulling off what would have been the biggest upset in Rugby League history, and led the Aussies for most of the match, scoring the first three tries and leading 18-0 and 24-6 mid-way through the match.

A late comeback from Australia, courtesy of top performances from Petero Civoniceva, Shaun Berrigan and Matt Bowen, saw the Roos equal the United States at 24-all going into 3 quater time.

Two tries in the final 20 minutes gave Australia a nervous 12 point victory over a surprisingly good US outfit.

The Americans totally outplayed Australia for most of the match, with some big hits and plenty of players in every tackle. Many of the US players put in very notable performances, especially their full-back, who was as cool as many of the No. 1's in the NRL under the high bombs from Lockyer.

In the end, it was fitness that let the Americans down, with their forward pack tiring in the final quater. However, they never gave up, and even in the final stages their defence on their own line was disciplined and courageous.

The American captain, Jeff Preston, also played extremely well.

Petero Civoniceva was by far the best of the Australians.

Crowd was between 8,000 and 10,000, played in rain at times, at Franklin Field, Phillidelphia.

The Coogee Dolphins defeated the Glen Mills Bulls 42-10 in the curtain-raiser match "The Rememberance Cup".
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
crocodileman
Has thanked: 0

Post by crocodileman »

Well that's a bit of a shock to me - I was thinking they'd win by 50 or 60 points hard held.

How can you read a pointer into the form? Does this mean that the US would have beaten Great Britain?

Glad to see Petero finally found some form on the park. To me, he has been a major disappointment this year. It would have been a great advertisement for RL in the US if they won - but it probably was anyway with them leading for most of the match.

So what happens to the US now? Do they wait for the next RLWC or do they have other progression plans? What part of the States do they play League in?
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

crocodileman wrote:
Well that's a bit of a shock to me - I was thinking they'd win by 50 or 60 points hard held.
80-8 was my prediction :oops:
How can you read a pointer into the form? Does this mean that the US would have beaten Great Britain?
Now that would upset the Poms :lol:
Glad to see Petero finally found some form on the park. To me, he has been a major disappointment this year.
When in form, he's by far the most under-rated forward in the game IMHO. His work rate and attitude is absolutely outstanding, probably a result of many years alongside fellow prop forward Shane Webcke.
It would have been a great advertisement for RL in the US if they won - but it probably was anyway with them leading for most of the match.
Yes, its good that the US came out and fought hard. You'd think it wouldn't be all that difficult to get some Americans into Rugby League (given the right promotion strategies) as the nature and structure of the game is played in such a way that they can actually relate to it more so than other contact sports. For example, the similarities with NFL: rectangle field, same shaped ball, offensive and defensive lines, end zones = in-goal areas, etc, etc.
So what happens to the US now? Do they wait for the next RLWC or do they have other progression plans? What part of the States do they play League in?
The US are already pushing to have the Liberty-Bell Cup played again next year. Not sure where it will be played though, possibly in Australia similar to the match the Roos played against PNG before the Tri-Nations.

Their performance may encourage higher ranked nations to play them more often, and thats the only way they'll improve.

For a team thats ranked 18th, they've done very well.

Formerly Uppy80
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

I think they may be hard pressed trying to make the Liberty Bell Cup an annual event, although it may have some appeal to Australians in the short term with our fascination of all things American. Possibly, it could be played, as you suggested, in a regional centre like Townsville or Coffs Harbour or Western NSW. It would be good for the game, but I doubt the Aussies would be that enthused about it beingplayed every year.

Obviously, the scheduling of the event allowed for a closer scoreline than otherwise may have occurred, with the Aussies on their way home after a Tri-Series over both hemispheres for several weeks. Even allowing for that, I was surprised with the result. What standard would the US national team be. For example, how would they match up with Cellar Dweller NRL teams or leading teams in the QLD Cup?
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

crocodileman wrote:
I think they may be hard pressed trying to make the Liberty Bell Cup an annual event, although it may have some appeal to Australians in the short term with our fascination of all things American. Possibly, it could be played, as you suggested, in a regional centre like Townsville or Coffs Harbour or Western NSW. It would be good for the game, but I doubt the Aussies would be that enthused about it beingplayed every year.

Obviously, the scheduling of the event allowed for a closer scoreline than otherwise may have occurred, with the Aussies on their way home after a Tri-Series over both hemispheres for several weeks. Even allowing for that, I was surprised with the result. What standard would the US national team be. For example, how would they match up with Cellar Dweller NRL teams or leading teams in the QLD Cup?
The fact that the match was played at the end of one of the longest seasons these players have been through would suggest that the Roos were a bit tired going into this game against a team who have been preparing for this one match for weeks, with the intention to come out and play their hearts out.

On the standard of the US team - I cant really say with any confidence after only seeing one match. However, going on what I saw they have loads of potential, some of which has already been realised.

3 of their forwards and their full-back in particular impressed. Note also that these players are American nationals, this team was pretty much a fair dinkum American side, with only 2 or 3 players max. using the "grand-parent rule" e.g Matt Peterson aka Sideshow Bob.

I'd suggest the Americans come to Australia for a tour and do the following:

* Train with NRL CLubs.

* Play matches against lower grade clubs.

* Finally, embark on a Oceania tour with matches against PNG, New Zealand A, Australia A, Fiji and Tonga.

The Aust A and NZ A sides would involve NRL players who just missed out on Kangaroo and Kiwi selection. So even though, in Australia's case, it would be a 2nd string side, it would still be nearly as good as the Kangaroos side. So the Americans will still be tested against the best in the world.

Formerly Uppy80
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Fair enough - but your making 2 very big assumptions.

1. That the administrators of the game in the States and these countries have the foresight to make constructive arrangements such as these; and

2. That there is enough or any money in the US League to embark on such a tour.
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

crocodileman wrote:
Fair enough - but your making 2 very big assumptions.

1. That the administrators of the game in the States and these countries have the foresight to make constructive arrangements such as these; and

2. That there is enough or any money in the US League to embark on such a tour.
On point 1 - Yes, its quite risky to put trust in any League administrators to do anything right, but I think its becoming quite clear that the Rugby League world outside Australia is improving the international game more than most of us are aware of, and are being very proactive about it. Maybe our attitude towards international footy has come out of 30 years of unchallenged success.

On point 2 - The US have toured Australia a couple times in recent years, but have only resorted to the odd training session with a Premier League side and a game or two against the likes of the NSW Police Force :lol: and a St. George "Old Boys" team :lol: .

Time the Yanks started meeting "real" opposition now that they've had a chance to prove themselves against the best team in the world and only lose by 12.

Formerly Uppy80
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

crocodileman wrote:
What part of the States do they play League in?
I forgot to answer this question for you crocodileman....

There are currently 8 teams in the AMNRL:

Connecticut Wildcats
Delaware Mantarays
New Jersey Sharks
New York Knights
Northern Raiders
Philadelphia Flight
Washington DC Slayers
Glen Mills Bulls

Two more teams will be added next season:

Boston
Baltimore

As you can see, the AMNRL is concentrated on the east coast, much like Australia (must be a Rugby League thing :-k ). Development initiatives continue on the west coast and the AMNRL plan to expand across to that side of the country when possible.

Formerly Uppy80
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
crocodileman wrote:
What part of the States do they play League in?
I forgot to answer this question for you crocodileman....

There are currently 8 teams in the AMNRL:

Connecticut Wildcats
Delaware Mantarays
New Jersey Sharks
New York Knights
Northern Raiders
Philadelphia Flight
Washington DC Slayers
Glen Mills Bulls

Two more teams will be added next season:

Boston
Baltimore

As you can see, the AMNRL is concentrated on the east coast, much like Australia (must be a Rugby League thing :-k ). Development initiatives continue on the west coast and the AMNRL plan to expand across to that side of the country when possible.
Thanks Dizzi - but just one more question. Is it a winter (northern hemisphere) sport, because if they're playing on astroturf, it would suggest it was. When they played us this week, were they ending or beginning their season?
Mikey G
Team:

Post by Mikey G »

I'd predicted a score blow-out too, I was astounded to hear that we'd only just won. Even more amazed to see that the yanks had been handing us our ass on a plate in the first half.
I've lost my mind. Please help me find it.
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Mikey G wrote:
I'd predicted a score blow-out too, I was astounded to hear that we'd only just won. Even more amazed to see that the yanks had been handing us our ass on a plate in the first half.
Yeah and the ARL are copping a bit of flack today about injuries suffered during the game. I think Willie Mason was one, not sure about the other.
MG

Post by MG »

Are the aussies back in this country yet or are they having a bit of a holiday in the states after a long tour?
EvilGeee.
Team:

Post by EvilGeee. »

Mark O'Meley was the other player. Both players will miss the beginning of the season last I heard.

You're giving the Americans a lot of credit, most of which I don't believe is warranted. The Kangaroos never got out of 1st gear. This game was never taken seriously by our side. Wayne Bennett said it himself when they got off the bus that this was a reward for the team and a time for relaxation. Mason & O'Meley laughing at each other after one of them knocked on also suggests they didn't take this game seriously.

Good on the Yanks for putting up a fight, however, after watching the game it was quite clear that a fully switched on Kangaroos side would have obliterated the Americans.

Here......have a drumstick.

LU, where paranoia runs amok.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

I agree with Evils brilliance. The Aussies didnt take this match seriously and I'm sure their preparation was limited.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?