Rugby League news and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Is rugby league dying?

Post by Beaussie »

Well this explains the high tackle blitz last round. Can league administrators reverse this concerning downward trend with participation numbers? Tens of millions of dollars so far seems to be achieving very little.

Is rugby league dying? The never-before-released numbers that have NRL powerbrokers concerned
By Michael Chammas
MAY 22, 2021

These are the never-before-released figures the NRL and the ARL Commission were presented before enforcing one of the most controversial crackdowns in rugby league history last week.

NRL administration has previously sugarcoated participation figures by including touch football and LeagueTag numbers alongside registered tackle players. Under the Peter V’landys and Andrew Abdo regime, the NRL has promised total transparency.

It is why, in light of the recent concussion crackdown, the Herald this week approached the NRL and requested it open the books and provide the unfiltered numbers that some at headquarters are now referencing as a partial motivator for the Magic Round high-tackle blitz.

The Herald can reveal the greatest concern is the loss of close to 12,000 male tackle rugby league participants in Australia since 2015 (an 8 per cent drop).

The NSWRL is doing a better job at stemming the flow but there are still 4000 less male participants in NSW over the same period, resulting in a 5 per cent decrease in boys and men’s registered players in the state.

“To be totally transparent, we have spent tens of millions of dollars trying to increase participation,” V’landys said.

“The investment at this stage is not returning what it should. Of course, it’s a concern. That’s why the commission made it one of its number one priorities. I’m confident the strategies of the NSWRL, QRL and NRL will reverse the trend.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/is-rug ... 21624528-1
baselinepanther
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Canberra Raiders
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 19 times

Re: Is rugby league dying?

Post by baselinepanther »

dying ?

lol

seeing as its the most watched sport in the country its hardly going to die.
Its non contact variants are booming with player numbers both girls & boys.

The full contact version is not an easy game to play, its hard & demanding. And the # concussion me too movement of recent years has parents worried .
what parents obviously don't realise are the junior modified versions are very safe & it only becomes the full version at Under 16s .
thats where the marketing people at the nrl need to do their jobs.

while ever australian kids have an opportunity to earn in excess of a million dollars a year for playing a sport , they'll look to play it.The players are there , its a challenge for our code to get them back where they belong.also
Kids see their heroes on tv , they see these amazing gladiators & supreme athletes & even if they don't play the game ... they will watch it regardless of what girly sport they're forced to play by their parents , because it is an amazing sport meaning the code will always have money.
pussycat Mark 11
Captain
Captain
Team: Easts
Been liked: 36 times

Post by pussycat Mark 11 »

Contact sport is the most popular sport on tv, League will adapt . It certainly doesn't seem to brought the NFL to its Knees,
Australia's number 1 sport RUGBY LEAGUE. Preferred by more Australians than any other :cheers:
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

Beaussie wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:23 pm
Well this explains the high tackle blitz last round. Can league administrators reverse this concerning downward trend with participation numbers? Tens of millions of dollars so far seems to be achieving very little.

Is rugby league dying? The never-before-released numbers that have NRL powerbrokers concerned
By Michael Chammas
MAY 22, 2021

These are the never-before-released figures the NRL and the ARL Commission were presented before enforcing one of the most controversial crackdowns in rugby league history last week.

NRL administration has previously sugarcoated participation figures by including touch football and LeagueTag numbers alongside registered tackle players. Under the Peter V’landys and Andrew Abdo regime, the NRL has promised total transparency.

It is why, in light of the recent concussion crackdown, the Herald this week approached the NRL and requested it open the books and provide the unfiltered numbers that some at headquarters are now referencing as a partial motivator for the Magic Round high-tackle blitz.

The Herald can reveal the greatest concern is the loss of close to 12,000 male tackle rugby league participants in Australia since 2015 (an 8 per cent drop).

The NSWRL is doing a better job at stemming the flow but there are still 4000 less male participants in NSW over the same period, resulting in a 5 per cent decrease in boys and men’s registered players in the state.

“To be totally transparent, we have spent tens of millions of dollars trying to increase participation,” V’landys said.

“The investment at this stage is not returning what it should. Of course, it’s a concern. That’s why the commission made it one of its number one priorities. I’m confident the strategies of the NSWRL, QRL and NRL will reverse the trend.

I read the story this morning & I wondered how long it would take for one of the fumblers here to have a crack lolololololol!!!!! Lo and behold it's the great beatup himself................ummmm.........jumping onto the beatup!!!!

He obviously didn't read the article very closely. He seems to have missed the part where it says, "It's important to note, however, that final 2021 figures are forecasted to be boosted by the end of season".

So there ya have it .............some journalist hack quotes numbers that aren't actually in yet!!!!! And beatup falls for it hook, line and sinker!!!!

By the way beatup...........I've got a beautiful brand new bridge going cheap pal..........PM me for further details lololololol
pussycat Mark 11
Captain
Captain

Yeah, getting towards contract time again.
Australia's number 1 sport RUGBY LEAGUE. Preferred by more Australians than any other :cheers:
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

I have to applaud V”Landry”s ... calls it as it is... something some nrl posters could take a lead on. Rugby league has an image problem and as the article and V’Landry point to.. it is impacting participation. Hence the crack down. And good on him. The game will adjust and it takes a bloke like him to cut through the crap and make the hard decisions ...
Veni, vidi, vici
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

Fred wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:31 pm
I have to applaud V”Landry”s ... calls it as it is... something some nrl posters could take a lead on. Rugby league has an image problem and as the article and V’Landry point to.. it is impacting participation. Hence the crack down. And good on him. The game will adjust and it takes a bloke like him to cut through the crap and make the hard decisions ...
Possibly your best post of all time Freddo!!!!!!!!!!!! Well done pal!!!!!!!!!!!! There's hope for ya still!!!!!!!
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Terry wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:56 pm

By Michael Chammas
MAY 22, 2021

I read the story this morning & I wondered how long it would take for one of the fumblers here to have a crack lolololololol!!!!! Lo and behold it's the great beatup himself................ummmm.........jumping onto the beatup!!!!

He obviously didn't read the article very closely. He seems to have missed the part where it says, "It's important to note, however, that final 2021 figures are forecasted to be boosted by the end of season".

So there ya have it .............some journalist hack quotes numbers that aren't actually in yet!!!!! And beatup falls for it hook, line and sinker!!!!

By the way beatup...........I've got a beautiful brand new bridge going cheap pal..........PM me for further details lololololol

So the following is nothing to be concerned about? Unlike you Terry, V’landys seems worried. :hmm:

NRL wasting millions of $$$ on a lost cause it would seem.
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

PVL said the game would lose $500 million..

Footy fans are turning to touch or oztag..

who wants to play a brutal sport week in week out and work.

numbers will always be low.
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

Beaussie wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:33 pm
Terry wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:56 pm

So the following is nothing to be concerned about? Unlike you Terry, V’landys seems worried. :hmm:

NRL wasting millions of $$$ on a lost cause it would seem.

As usual beatup Peter The Great is 100% correct. But what you need to do is understand his words and not go straight to the usual.......ummmmmmm............beatup!!!!!

He actually said "the investment at this stage is not returning what it should." So obviously the numbers aren't what he wants. He would like more. This is what any responsible administrator of any sport or business would say.

In your case you get caught up in the fumble game of propaganda and lies they spout at every turn. When an administrator comes out and actually tells the truth you don't know how to interpret it or handle it.
pussycat Mark 11
Captain
Captain

He'd be very worried by the 500k He got for a PTV game :cheers: