NRL EXPANSION

Rugby League news and discussion.
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

NRL EXPANSION

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

NRL'S PVL GOES BANG FOR 2023 Expansion BRISBANE TEAM IS A GO

5 Bids to be reviewed and case studies to commission with decision to be made mid year. JUNE / JULY

A second team in Brisbane by 2023': V'landys confirms NRL expansion bombshell

ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys has confirmed the league will move ahead with plans to add a 17th team to the competition in time for the 2023 season.

A decision on the new franchise, which will finally give Brisbane its second NRL team, could be made as early as June, according to V'landys who detailed the developments to the Sydney Morning Herald.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/expansion- ... e1a2efefc4
pussycat Mark 11
Captain
Captain
Team: Easts
Been liked: 36 times

Re: NRL EXPANSION

Post by pussycat Mark 11 »

Wow! just wow.
Australia's number 1 sport RUGBY LEAGUE. Preferred by more Australians than any other :cheers:
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

Whilst I applaud this move, adding an extra team to an already established nrl heartland instead of growing the game in other Australian states, is not really that adventurous. So they’re looking to grow the game in Brisbane? In saying that, Brisbane does need another side... should have had one 20 years ago. They’re a long long way behind I guess. Could they not add two teams ... one in maybe perth ?
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fred wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:46 pm
Whilst I applaud this move, adding an extra team to an already established nrl heartland instead of growing the game in other Australian states, is not really that adventurous. So they’re looking to grow the game in Brisbane? In saying that, Brisbane does need another side... should have had one 20 years ago. They’re a long long way behind I guess. Could they not add two teams ... one in maybe perth ?
dam right it is a move that it is 15 - 20 years to late. (but that is the NRL for you) let broncos have too much say and do nothing..
I get why they are doing it and its very smart to do it so many benefits.
a Game a week every week in Brissy... well overdue.

and Yes its not really expansion, its tightening up a already strong market and making it stronger, which is guaranteed to lift crowds
and make Media Networks happy with the ratings.

I think you will fine, the NRL will not stay at 17 teams for too long.. I suspect an 18th team 2 or 3 years later.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Former South Sydney powerbroker Shane Richardson pulling strings at NRL expansion bid hopeful

He helped lift South Sydney from rock bottom back to the pride of the league and now Shane Richardson has become the secret weapon in the Brisbane Firehawks’ bid to win the NRL expansion race.

As anticipation builds that a new club will be given the green light to enter the national comp in 2023, The Daily Telegraph can reveal that former Rabbitohs boss Richardson has been working behind the scenes for the past four months to help his old club Easts Tigers, who are backing the bid, to put together a highly-detailed business model.

Richardson was reluctant to talk about his involvement when contacted on Monday but insiders claim his experience and expertise will be a key factor when it comes to the NRL judging which bid gets the go-ahead.

Other bid teams include the Brisbane Bombers, Ipswich and Redcliffe Dolphins.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

I think this Puts the Jets in the box Seat for the 17th team

Bombers and Western Corridor join forces in Brisbane expansion bid

BRISBANE JETS (BJ'S) lol

Brisbane Bombers director Nicholas Livermore hopes a merger with the rival Western Corridor bid team will help convince the ARL Commission that the 17th team NRL team should be based in Ipswich
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Easts Rugby League in QLD have announced that are upgrading stadium
with 4000 additional seats and a high performance centre to push for claims as the new 17th team
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

3 Horse Race

DOLPHINS >> Moreton bay and upwards to Sunny Coast > 100 Million in Assets
Own stadium own Leagues clubs etc (NORTH OF BRISBANE)

JETS >> control parts of Brisbane's South towards the West past Ipswich to Toowoomba
backed by Brisbane Bid and looking for community share holding ownership. (SOUTH WEST BRISBANE)

Easts (Firehawks) Strong Leagues club own ground and assets but intrenches on the Broncos territory.

(EAST SOUTH OF BRISBANE )
pussycat Mark 11
Captain
Captain
Team: Easts
Been liked: 36 times

Post by pussycat Mark 11 »

`

Fred, you are so funny, Green with envy. They have teams in the areas there interested in as well as having a team from overseas in there competition. On top of all that they have other international teams playing in the lower grade, and plenty of other overseas interest makes your mob look very kindergartenish :rock:
Australia's number 1 sport RUGBY LEAGUE. Preferred by more Australians than any other :cheers:
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

pussycat Mark 11 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:41 pm
`

Fred, you are so funny, Green with envy. They have teams in the areas there interested in as well as having a team from overseas in there competition. On top of all that they have other international teams playing in the lower grade, and plenty of other overseas interest makes your mob look very kindergartenish :rock:

True!!!!! No doubt the game plan is to have a 2nd Brisbane team, which is a no-brainer, and down the track have a team in Perth. Although I also like the idea of having a 2nd NZ team. If PVL keeps kicking goals I can see no reason we can't have all three.

And then there is PNG. A team up there would get fanatical support. The problem is that the local economy wouldn't add much to the team or comp in general. They would need the financial support of the govt. But bearing in mind RL is the national sport of the country that wouldn't be out of the question. No doubt Peter The Great could make this happen.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Same with tassie for the afl ... plenty of support but not the financial clout I’d say.

Re: expansion ..I think they really need to grow the game in Australia outside of nsw (act) and qld. But that’s just me. And I think the have done perth well or better than they did with Storm by growing grass roots a little .. but they need a team in the nrl to follow now. Storm were just plopped in Melbourne and whilst there has been some effort of late, grass roots remains basically non-existent with on tiny league for the state with about 13 clubs.
Veni, vidi, vici
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

Fred wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:14 pm
Same with tassie for the afl ... plenty of support but not the financial clout I’d say.

Re: expansion ..I think they really need to grow the game in Australia outside of nsw (act) and qld. But that’s just me. And I think the have done perth well or better than they did with Storm by growing grass roots a little .. but they need a team in the nrl to follow now. Storm were just plopped in Melbourne and whilst there has been some effort of late, grass roots remains basically non-existent with on tiny league for the state with about 13 clubs.
Not quite the same as Tassie Freddo. The population of PNG is neary 9 million. Tassie is 500k. The difference is that PNG is basically a 3rd world country. However being the national sport Gov't backing could guarantee them financial security.

The bigger problem would be getting Aust. and NZ NRL players to move to PNG to play for them. I mean......it's not exactly a tourist destination. Player signings and retention would be a nightmare.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

True re moving/retention
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

i think you would fine a PNG team would be dominated by PNG people
coming through there national comp.

Why i would love to see a PNG team i think it is Years Off.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fans to help Dolphins choose name if club granted NRL licence

We operate from Brisbane north through the Moreton Bay region and the Sunshine Coast corridor, and the Moreton Bay region is actually the third biggest council area in Australia and the fourth biggest is the Sunshine Coast.

"The Moreton Bay region is set to grow by 15 per cent in the next 10 years and the Sunshine Coast by 25 per cent so we are conscious that we have got to appeal to more than just people in Redcliffe and the Dolphins as an NRL entity will hopefully do that."

The Sun State Dolphins and River City Dolphins are quite popular but when it is time we will seek input from the community to suggest names,

he club has been ensuring it was prepared for the next opportunity to join the NRL and boasts a shopping centre, fitness and aquatic centre, boutique stadium and 40,000 leagues club members