Rugby League news and discussion.
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Re: NRL EXPANSION

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

DOLPHINS have registered the Name BRISBANE DOLPHINS>>
But Ceo states this doesn't mean they would be called Brisbane Dolphins

Trending by the fans as most popular name are below.

Sunshine State Dolphins
River City Dolphins
Brisbane Dolphins
Moreton Bay - Sunshine Coast Dolphins
Footy Fan
Team: Sea Eagles
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Footy Fan »

Sunshine State Dolphins is a great name. Hope they use that. Has an NFL vibe about it.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Footy Fan wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:21 pm
Sunshine State Dolphins is a great name. Hope they use that. Has an NFL vibe about it.
Yeah i like it too. :thumbleft:

just hope they do not pick Brisbane Dolphins if they are selected.
it is to generic
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Stabilise, renovate and then grow': Abdo's NRL plan

Second Brisbane team could lead to an 18th NRL franchise, possibly in New Zealand, as the code moves from a survival phase caused by the coronavirus pandemic to one of short and long-term growth.

The plan for the NRL is to stabilise, renovate and then grow,” NRL CEO Andrew Abdo said.

Among the ideas being considered are:

Introducing a player transfer window and central contract registration system;
Overhauling the Rugby League Accredited Player Agent Scheme;
Using technology to improve the game-day experience for fans;
Creating a network of boutique stadiums across Sydney;
Increasing the number of rounds and teams in the NRLW;
Developing the Nines format;
Growing participation numbers, and;
Expanding the number of NRL teams.

An 18th team allows you to think about what we might want to do about expanding in New Zealand. Having two teams in New Zealand creates a tribalism and a new rivalry in New Zealand.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Second Brisbane team worth an extra $50m to rugby league
It’s only a matter of time before a second Brisbane side gets the green light, with research showing a new team would bring millions to the NRL.

With the 18th team for the extra game being the real selling point.

NRL NZ look favourites for the 18th team creating more games for SKY SPORTS in NZ

(Interesting few months leading into LATE JUNE)
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Second Brisbane team worth an extra $50m to rugby league
It’s only a matter of time before a second Brisbane side gets the green light, with research showing a new team would bring millions to the NRL.

With the 18th team for the extra game being the real selling point.

NRL NZ look favourites for the 18th team creating more games for SKY SPORTS in NZ

(Interesting few months leading into LATE JUNE)
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

EXCLUSIVE: Huge news for the NRL and Queensland.
In a landmark day for rugby league, the ARL Commission will call for expressions of interest for a 17th licence on Friday.
Expansion battle is underway for a second Brisbane team.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

Expansion for the nrl but not really for Rl. But a move, finally, in the right direction. Perth also needs a side.
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fred wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:39 pm
Expansion for the nrl but not really for Rl. But a move, finally, in the right direction. Perth also needs a side.
agreed, Brisbane is well overdue by around 20 years.
Will do wonders for Brisbane...

18th team is a certain..

looks to be 2026 18th Team or earlier.

looking like nz2 or Perth.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Hmm, anyone able to post details? Can’t get past the paywall to see details of this report.

NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2
Rookie
Rookie
Team: Manly
Been liked: 6 times

Post by NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2 »

Fred wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:14 pm
Same with tassie for the afl ... plenty of support but not the financial clout I’d say.

Re: expansion ..I think they really need to grow the game in Australia outside of nsw (act) and qld. But that’s just me. And I think the have done perth well or better than they did with Storm by growing grass roots a little .. but they need a team in the nrl to follow now. Storm were just plopped in Melbourne and whilst there has been some effort of late, grass roots remains basically non-existent with on tiny league for the state with about 13 clubs.
Fred acting all salty usual with no truths or an facts.. Melbourne Storm has been a huge success in Victoria. They have proved that an NRL club can work in Perth & Adelaide if they can work in the number 1 AFL city in the country.
Social media is always a good measure of interest in a team. Melbourne Storm actually have more Facebook followers than the Giants and Swans combined. Over half a million. 522k followers.

For the record Melbourne has 17 rugby league clubs not 13. Do your research instead of making up things like you always do.
NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2
Rookie
Rookie
Team: Manly
Been liked: 6 times

Post by NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2 »

Pretty sure the Dolphins will get the gig and they will be called Sunshine State Dolphins.
Brisbane does need another team. Rugby League has a huge following there.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:27 am
Same with tassie for the afl ... plenty of support but not the financial clout I’d say.

Re: expansion ..I think they really need to grow the game in Australia outside of nsw (act) and qld. But that’s just me. And I think the have done perth well or better than they did with Storm by growing grass roots a little .. but they need a team in the nrl to follow now. Storm were just plopped in Melbourne and whilst there has been some effort of late, grass roots remains basically non-existent with on tiny league for the state with about 13 clubs.
Fred acting all salty usual with no truths or an facts.. Melbourne Storm has been a huge success in Victoria. They have proved that an NRL club can work in Perth & Adelaide if they can work in the number 1 AFL city in the country.
Social media is always a good measure of interest in a team. Melbourne Storm actually have more Facebook followers than the Giants and Swans combined. Over half a million. 522k followers.

For the record Melbourne has 17 rugby league clubs not 13. Do your research instead of making up things like you always do.
Hey that’s great that they have grown to 17. They may end up with 2 leagues soon if the growth continues. Not sure why you would say my post was salty. I agree Storm are doing well with a niche market which is great. And as I said, grassroots is indeed improving after being neglected for many years. I think I have always advocated for the growth of grassroots whatever the code. And Perth I think have done well at grassroots and I really do think they will miss the boat if they don’t add a team ... hopefully not but that would be my concern.
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Beaussie wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:00 pm
Hmm, anyone able to post details? Can’t get past the paywall to see details of this report.

According to those with knowledge of Smith's report, it indicated expansion was a risk. One source told the NRL that after reading the report, they believed expansion bordered on insanity

Inside expansion and the two year old report that suggests the game should tread carefully before adding an extra team in Brisbane

(A Pointless report at all the negatives of expanding if you don't succeed. :drunk: )
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:27 am

Huge success eh? Just 38,000 tv viewers on Thursday night in Melbourne for the top of the table Melbourne Storm would suggest otherwise I would’ve thought. :hmm:

THURSDAY NIGHT NRL LIVE Nine Network 389,000 221,000 38,000 119,000 6,000 5,000

https://tvtonight.com.au/2021/05/thursd ... -2021.html

As for Perth and Adelaide…. well 6,000 and 5,000 tv viewers respectively says it all. :(/