Rugby League news and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Channel 9 wants one team axed in NRL

Post by Beaussie »

Hmm, broadcasters still dictating the strategic directions of the NRL by looks of things.

So... which club will cease to exist in order for Brisbane’s 2nd team creation? Gold Coast, Cronulla...

Perth also looking unlikely for expansion if the Foxtel chiefs words are anything to go by.

Brisbane to get new NRL team, existing clubs at risk of axing

Cronulla, Manly and the Gold Coast are at risk of being axed from the NRL as the Nine Network pushes for a new Brisbane rugby league team.

The broadcaster's director of sport Tom Malone wants to axe one existing club to make way for a new club in the Queensland capital by 2023 with the final call to be made as early as December this year.

News Corp reports that the Sharks, Sea Eagles and the Titans are the sides who are most at risk of the chop.

"That could come from another team being relocated there, or better still another club being discontinued and a new club established in Brisbane," Malone said.

"In a perfect world you'd probably have one or two less teams.

"What clubs should go? I'm not going to get into that one. It's a hard decision but probably one that needs to be made in the longer term interests of the game."

Malone says he prefers the option of axing an existing club rather than adding another club because having 17 teams and a bye each week would increase costs without generating any "incremental revenue".

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg reportedly met with Queensland Premier Annastasia Palaszczuk on Friday to discuss a new Brisbane team.

Foxtel chief executive Patrick Delany supports a second team in the River City but doesn't believe in axing an existing club.

"They love their rugby league in Brisbane and it seems a natural fit," Mr Delany told News Corp.

"You get that inter-city rivalry which enhances tribalism and that's ultimately what we want.

"It's all about generating more fans and bigger TV audiences. I don't know if you'd get that real tribal traction with rugby league in Perth that you'd get in Brisbane."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/brisba ... 52mrd.html
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Re: Channel 9 wants one team axed in NRL

Post by Fred »

Yes this came up in my feed. What was interesting was that they don’t won’t more teams as they do not think there is enough depth in talent.

I think the likely move would be titans to Brisbane with some games still played at Robins - these being away games maybe. They are crazy if they don’t put a team in Perth though.
Veni, vidi, vici
notaleaguefan
Banned
Team: AFL
Been liked: 25 times

Post by notaleaguefan »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6872

All ready beat you to it beaussie

And already has the league fertility in meltdown mode
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol what ch 9 want & what they get will be very different .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

What is the league fertility?
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o