Reserves
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

War over R. League TV rights

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

Gallop to meet Seven supremo
By Adam Hawse - May 1, 2005

Two of Australia's most powerful businessman are locked in a $200 million war for free-to-air NRL television rights.

Kerry Packer's Nine Network is being challenged by Kerry Stokes' Channel 7 for the rights, which become available at the end of next season.

The Sunday Telegraph today reveals that NRL chief executive David Gallop will meet Channel 7 boss David Leckie next week.

The meeting is tangible proof that Stokes is preparing to lock horns with Packer and try to cash in on the unprecedented interest in rugby league.

Seven's push has been sparked by league's booming popularity, with attendances up by 3000 spectators a game and TV ratings maintaining high levels.

All parties remain tight-lipped on developments, but Gallop did confirm he would meet Leckie for lunch this week and discuss the issue.

"Regarding Seven, I'm happy to confirm having lunch," Gallop said.

"David likes our game and I'm sure we will talk about it."

Seven's director of corporate affairs, Simon Francis, admitted the network was extremely interested in taking the rights from Nine.

"We believe that rugby league is one of the great sports on television," Francis said last night.

"We would be more than interested in participating in the negotiation process."

Analysts suggest broadcast rights could fetch between $30-40 million a season - well up on the $15m deal Nine secured in 1998 when league had no bargaining power after limping through the Super League split.

It is believed the next deal will not exceed five years.

Many figures in the game believe it is time for a serious pay rise, including the players.

"From what Tony Butterfield [players association president] has said, we're supposed to be sitting in on the deal or at least have representatives there to know what's going on to see what it's worth," Penrith captain Craig Gower said.

"Last time the deal went we had an offer of $70m from [pay-TV channel] C7 and they didn't take it."

Leckie formerly served under Packer at Nine and is a fan of rugby league.

He and Gallop are known to get along well, having held many discussions in the past over broadcasting issues.

There are many variables to be thrashed out in negotiations, such as whether the game will be split into club, State of Origin and international categories and sold separately.

The main stumbling block for Seven will be Nine's first and last option on the rights, giving Packer the chance to match any rival bid. Network Ten has shown no interest in contesting the rights.

The NRL has held discussions for the past two months with Fox Sports on pay-TV rights, which expire next year.

The Sunday Telegraph
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

And the 'war' continues. :lol: I think this means without a doubt, according to the beaussie hypothesis, that AFL will be dead and buried by june this year. :lol:

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
MAKAVELI
Team:

Post by MAKAVELI »

As an aussie rules fan living in Melbourne, I don't hear much about rugby in the papers or on tele.

But the code seems to have a strong supporter base and appeal. It just keeps coming back, getting stronger.

But I don't care, more power. There is enough room for both RL and AFL in Australia. Just not union.

I'm glad our government is looking after soccer and rugby now. There is definately enough room for the Storm down here, a team every AFL fan can support together.

I just hope we can see every Storm match, Origins and internationals.

Just as long as it doesn't conflict with any AFL games of interest, I'll watch.

Rugby deserve a decent deal after being ripped off by Kerry Packer for over 12 years.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Maka u speak some good stuff. But please dont tell me ur calling 'rugby'...league? Mate learn this. Rugby means rugby union. League is the term for rugby league. If i didnt come in here first beaussie would have had multiple orgasms over the fact that you had/have called league, rugby. Get it right mate. But lovely to hear a victorian attitude/perspective on league, im sure beausssie will be totally dumbfounded that an afl victorian respects and enjoys rugby league.

xman wrote:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Re: War over R. League TV rights

Post by Beaussie »

Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
Gallop to meet Seven supremo
By Adam Hawse - May 1, 2005

Two of Australia's most powerful businessman are locked in a $200 million war for free-to-air NRL television rights.

Kerry Packer's Nine Network is being challenged by Kerry Stokes' Channel 7 for the rights, which become available at the end of next season.

The Sunday Telegraph today reveals that NRL chief executive David Gallop will meet Channel 7 boss David Leckie next week.

The meeting is tangible proof that Stokes is preparing to lock horns with Packer and try to cash in on the unprecedented interest in rugby league.

Seven's push has been sparked by league's booming popularity, with attendances up by 3000 spectators a game and TV ratings maintaining high levels.
:(/

Booming popularity? Wow, 3,000 extra supporters a game. I noticed the average NRL H&A crowd for 05 took a tumble on the weekend too.

This speculation about Channel 7's interest in rugby league is nothing more than a ploy by Channel 7 to make Channel 9 pay more for the NRL rights and hence not get a bargain. Channel 7's main interest is the AFL rights not the NRL. That said, they want their competitor to pay a hefty price for the NRL rights and making out their interested in bidding will achieve that. You know it makes sense.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

MAKAVELI wrote:
As an aussie rules fan living in Melbourne, I don't hear much about rugby in the papers or on tele.

But the code seems to have a strong supporter base and appeal. It just keeps coming back, getting stronger.

But I don't care, more power. There is enough room for both RL and AFL in Australia. Just not union.

I'm glad our government is looking after soccer and rugby now. There is definately enough room for the Storm down here, a team every AFL fan can support together.

I just hope we can see every Storm match, Origins and internationals.

Just as long as it doesn't conflict with any AFL games of interest, I'll watch.

Rugby deserve a decent deal after being ripped off by Kerry Packer for over 12 years.
LOL, is it any wonder why rugby league expansion in Australia has been such a dismal failure. Most Australians can't tell the difference between Rugby Union and Rugby League. More specifically, they don't care enough to worry. :_<>
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Re: War over R. League TV rights

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

Beaussie wrote:
Booming popularity? Wow, 3,000 extra supporters a game. I noticed the average NRL H&A crowd for 05 took a tumble on the weekend too.
I'm sorry Beaussie, but i'll have to pull you up on that one. Prior to the weekend's round (Round 8), the NRL's seasons average was 17,900 with an aggregate of 877,092. After Round 8, the average went up to 17,943 with a season aggregate of 1,004,835. The average for Round 8 was above the season average, coming in at 18,249.

Therefore, I fail to see where it took this "tumble", as you say, when the statistics for Round 8 were cleary up in all areas.
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

My apologies Dizzy's a mistake on my behalf when interpreting the crowd figures to date. :oops:
MAKAVELI
Team:

Post by MAKAVELI »

Way I see it, league and union are both rugby.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Beaussie wrote:
My apologies Dizzy's a mistake on my behalf when interpreting the crowd figures to date. :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Apology number 642 from beaussie on mistaken crowd figures!!!

The boy who cried wolf returns!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

xman wrote:
MAKAVELI
Team:

Post by MAKAVELI »

10 and 7 will get the AFL.

9 will get the NRL.

7 will get rugby league representative season, with origin and internationals.