Reserves
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

France scare the Kangaroos

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

Australia lucky to beat France
05:54 AEDT Mon Nov 22 2004

Australian captain Darren Lockyer made a successful return from a rib injury but his comeback was overshadowed by a heroic performance from France in their rugby league tour match.

Lockyer, making his return after a four-week absence, played 53 minutes as Australia won 52-30 at Stade Ernest Wallon.

And the Kangaroos had Lockyer to thank for their victory.

The classy five-eighth was the difference as France threatened to pull off the biggest upset in rugby league history.

The final scoreline flattered the tourists, who scored three tries in the game's final five minutes.

But for Lockyer who knows what would have happened as the part-time French players produced an amazing display.

Australia was forced to come back from a 16-6 deficit midway through the opening half to take a 28-16 lead into the break.

The French stunned the tourists with prop Adel Fellous, impressive second rower Jamal Fakir and five-eighth Maxime Greseque scoring tries.

Jason Ryles managed Australia's sole reply and France led 16-6.

Then Lockyer put the foot on the accelerator.

After Matt Cooper crossed in the 26th minute, Lockyer threw a cut-out pass for Craig Fitzgibbon's try and converted to level the scores three minutes later.

With four minutes remaining in the half Lockyer combined with Brent Tate twice to give Australia a handy 12-point halftime lead.

The Kangaroos returned from halftime and were immediately on the back foot with French winger Frederic Zitter scoring in the 48th minute following a catastrophic mix-up between Matt Bowen and Cooper.

Zitter only had to pick up the ball after the Australians had bungled a Greseque bomb.

Virtually from the kick-off Tonie Carroll seized on a French mistake to score and make it 34-20 but France refused to wilt.

©AAP 2004

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=4217
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Question must be asked. Were the Australians really serious or were they doing their bit in order to promote international RL and still win the game?

How could a French side score so many points against us?
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

crocodileman wrote:
Question must be asked. Were the Australians really serious or were they doing their bit in order to promote international RL and still win the game?

How could a French side score so many points against us?
Quite true, the Roos could've turned up not ready to play.

However, the French side were lucky to be beaten by New Zealand last week, losing 24-20 in the final minute of the match after leading the whole game. You'd think the Roos would've taken notice of that. I wasn't prepared to rate that performance against NZ until I saw how they went against the Roos, and they did very well, leading several time (16-0 or 16-6 at one stage). It was only at the death that the Roos made it look like some sort of blow-out with a few quick tries.

If anything its a confidence booster for the French ahead of their country having a club side included in the English League.

Certainly not up to the standard of the top 3 nations yet, by any means, but they are improving which is a good sign.

Formerly Uppy80
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Will this team in the English competition improve French RL or are they destined to just slide into oblivion as a RL playing nation. In the past they have promised so much, yet delivered so little.

I know that quite a few Qld Cup players (particularly from Redcliffe) are playing or about to play French provincial League, but this in itself won't be enough to see them reach top standards of GB/OZ.
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

crocodileman wrote:
Will this team in the English competition improve French RL or are they destined to just slide into oblivion as a RL playing nation. In the past they have promised so much, yet delivered so little.

I know that quite a few Qld Cup players (particularly from Redcliffe) are playing or about to play French provincial League, but this in itself won't be enough to see them reach top standards of GB/OZ.
You're quite right.

This is how I see it panning out, for the forseeable future anyway.

This new club side in the ESL will make the French 1st XIII semi-competitive to competitive at times against the Big 3.

However, thats where it will stop. Outside that National team (17-20 players), there will be a lack of depth. This will see a lower standard coming through the ranks and the side will be hit hard if injuries occur.

Its exciting to see them competitive, but I dont think people should get too excited about it as i have seen on browsing international league communities like rleague and leagueunlimited for example. There is even talk amongst these communities of a French inclusion in the Tri-Nations next year, which I have to say is a big no-no. The intesity of a 6 week series would be too much for the French, and it would embaress Rugby League's international scence which, at the moment, is trying hard to develop from a small base.

Formerly Uppy80
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
Its exciting to see them competitive, but I dont think people should get too excited about it as i have seen on browsing international league communities like rleague and leagueunlimited for example. There is even talk amongst these communities of a French inclusion in the Tri-Nations next year, which I have to say is a big no-no. The intesity of a 6 week series would be too much for the French, and it would embaress Rugby League's international scence which, at the moment, is trying hard to develop from a small base.
Yeah I notice in the weekend news that the French are keen to join the Tri-Nations. It would look embarrassing for International RL if you ask me. They simply are not up to the standard of GB, AUS and NZ who really are the only competitive nations on the international scene.
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

Beaussie wrote:
Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
Yeah I notice in the weekend news that the French are keen to join the Tri-Nations. It would look embarrassing for International RL if you ask me. They simply are not up to the standard of GB, AUS and NZ who really are the only competitive nations on the international scene.
Apparently the French players are keen to be included right now :lol: . Good positive thinking by the lads, ill grant them that, but very optimistic. Their coach believes they'll be ready in 2 years time. We shall wait and see..

Formerly Uppy80
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
Beaussie wrote:
Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
Apparently the French players are keen to be included right now :lol: . Good positive thinking by the lads, ill grant them that, but very optimistic. Their coach believes they'll be ready in 2 years time. We shall wait and see..
Yes, I'd love to see the French make a go of it, but I won't be holding my breath!

Does anyone know the financial state of French RL at this point - they may have to sign some "stars."
MG

Post by MG »

when was the last time france beat us in league - it must be at least 20 years.