Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

No State of Origin in Victoria

Post by Beaussie »

Daily Telegraph wrote:
Hopes of State of Origin rugby league returning to Melbourne appear dashed with sides united in their view that the code's showpiece does not belong in Victoria.

"I don't think State of Origin should be played in Melbourne" said NSW coach Ricky Stuart.

"I am all for growing rugby league in Victoria but Origin is a battle between NSW and Queensland and that's where it should be played.
Why would Victorians be interested in a rugby league match between two other states of Australia anyway? They don't support the game or their home team the Storm judging by the crowds anyway. :roll:
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

I think Ricky Stuart is right. Its a shame for the hundreds of thousands of league supporters in the state who like to watch the game but its nsw v qld, stuff 'em they can travel or watch it on tv like they usually do.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

King-Eliagh wrote:
I think Ricky Stuart is right. Its a shame for the hundreds of thousands of league supporters in the state who like to watch the game
There certainly aren't hundreds of thousands of league supporters every fortnight for the only NRL team in the city. More like 8,000 odd.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

No many of them live in country victoria and watch on tele. There's hundreds of thousands of leagueies in victoria though, prob wont be long before its league heartland :lol:

xman wrote:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

That's interesting considering all of Victoria doesn't get rugby league till midnight or the early hours of the next morning. For instance Sunday arvo NRL is replayed in Victoria at around 1.30am Monday morning. I'm sure there most definately hundereds of thousands of rugby league fans glued to the TV in the early hours of the morning. Pfftt
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

I looked it up and it wins its timeslot with 170 000 people tuning in at 1:30am monday morning. It shocked me but the figure is supposedly legitimate, was off AC nelson. It might take five or so years but league will take over victoria just like it has in the northern territory. :lol:

xman wrote:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

LOL, that'll be the day.
Matrix
Rookie
Rookie
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Matrix »

Going to take awhile for Rugby to break through in Melbourne being mainly AFL fans there. So in the end it was a better choice not to have it in Melbourne.