St George - the best thing for AFL expansion in NSW

Rugby League news and discussion.
crocodileman
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

St George - the best thing for AFL expansion in NSW

Post by crocodileman »

This once great club, with proud traditions and a record to match is bringing the game into disrepute in Woolongong and the whole of NSW.

Reports after the Dragons being thumped by the Storm 46 - 12 indicated that their supporters were leaving the ground en masse just after half time vowing to never return.

I've also heard reports that Coach Nathan Brown cancelled a Saturday afternoon pre-game talk with players so that he could spend the afternoon at Rosehill races betting on the 5 Group 1 Races there yesterday including the Golden Slipper and the BMW. Surely his future is clouded now as the Dragons were supposedly Top 4 material a month ago.

What price Swans memberships increasing in Woolongong oer the next month or so?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

crocodileman wrote:
Same colours for a start. :P

I imagine the Saints are a bit concerned about the official crowd attendance last night too. A little over 9,000 in Wollongong, so called rugby league heartland. How many will return for the next game particularly as many booed the team and left the ground with 15 mins still to go. :shock:
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

That Browny's a bit of a dipshit. I can vouch for his and many of the players love of gambling. Went down to nowra races on melbourne cup day about 7 yrs back and watched browny and co betting all day. i must say john simon was the best, never left his seat in front of the comp screen, he had his wife putting on bets and buying beers all day. classic work

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

The Dragons' effort levels are appalling.

They deserve to be spoon favourites ahead of Newcastle.
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
JF_Bay22_SCG

Post by JF_Bay22_SCG »

Beaussie wrote:
crocodileman wrote:
Same colours for a start. :P

I imagine the Saints are a bit concerned about the official crowd attendance last night too. A little over 9,000 in Wollongong, so called rugby league heartland. How many will return for the next game particularly as many booed the team and left the ground with 15 mins still to go. :shock:
That merger is a complete joke isn't it. The club should be called "St George Illawarra socks". Because the only remnace of the Steelers is on the socks the team wears.

I have been at all 3 NBL Grand Finals over the last week (GO YOU KINGS-THREEPEAT CHAMPIONS!) and have sat with a guy who used to be the unofficial head of the St George Dragon army (No, NOT Skull!). He did not go to the Saints-Dogs match at Homebush, must to our surprise. He said he hated the Wollongong half of the merger and refused to go to watch "home" matches at Win Stadium. He said he would rather be Kings fan in Wollongong than a Dragons one.

I walked past the ground on the way to the basketball and thought "this just doesn't seem to work". There was an old Steelers logo on the back of the stand that was starting to peel off. They had a hastily erected St George Illawarra logo next to it and a placard saying "southern home".

I hear that there are often more away fans at Dragons' WIN home matches than home ones. The fans from Sydney are getting increasingly over heading down the coast. The locals generally do NOT really cheer for the Saints from what I hear. They just clap good play etc etc. I hear you often get "Go Stoilers!" calls from the crowd when they want to piss off the Saints fans from Sydney as well.

They only got 9000 against the Storm in the Gong last night. I seriously think they should scrap the notion of the merger and either re-estate the Steelers. Or not bother about making a half-arsed attempt to treat Wollongong as an NRL city. (as harsh as that may be, I know.) Or move the club fully to Wollongong and call them the Illawarra Dragons.

I'd like to know how those involved with the club feel about the merger. And how they feel when at the other club's home ground (ie Wollongong people at Kogarah, and vice versa).

Interestingly there were people waving their Steelers flags (with Hawks logo stuck on them) at the basketball Grand Finals over the last week. The Hawks are only top flight team the people of Wollongong have left, hence many former Steelers and Wolves fans go and get behind them these days.

JF
PS:- We had a kid waving a Steelers flag at the Swans-Eagles final last year. I said thanks for coming and helping us out. And his parents came across as really appreciative.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

JF_Bay22_SCG wrote:
That merger is a complete joke isn't it. The club should be called "St George Illawarra socks". Because the only remnace of the Steelers is on the socks the team wears.
They kept the colours too I suppose.
JF_Bay22_SCG wrote:
I have been at all 3 NBL Grand Finals over the last week (GO YOU KINGS-THREEPEAT CHAMPIONS!) and have sat with a guy who used to be the unofficial head of the St George Dragon army (No, NOT Skull!). He did not go to the Saints-Dogs match at Homebush, must to our surprise. He said he hated the Wollongong half of the merger and refused to go to watch "home" matches at Win Stadium. He said he would rather be Kings fan in Wollongong than a Dragons one.
First congrats Kings. History makers with the Three-peat. Wonder if they'll use that in promotions. The AFL would be watching closely if media report are correct. Sorry off point, back to the thread, all doesn't seem well down the Gong. Imagine the effect of St George/Illawarra home games at Telstra Stadium as has been suggested for the future. Would make the trip for those travelling from down south all that much harder, particularly if they are travelling with ShittyRail.
JF_Bay22_SCG wrote:
I walked past the ground on the way to the basketball and thought "this just doesn't seem to work". There was an old Steelers logo on the back of the stand that was starting to peel off. They had a hastily erected St George Illawarra logo next to it and a placard saying "southern home".
Suprised to hear the Steelers logo is still there and not covered up.
JF_Bay22_SCG wrote:
I hear that there are often more away fans at Dragons' WIN home matches than home ones. The fans from Sydney are getting increasingly over heading down the coast. The locals generally do NOT really cheer for the Saints from what I hear. They just clap good play etc etc. I hear you often get "Go Stoilers!" calls from the crowd when they want to piss off the Saints fans from Sydney as well.
Of course they don't cheer mate, they boo and leave the ground with 15 mins to go. :lol:
JF_Bay22_SCG wrote:
They only got 9000 against the Storm in the Gong last night. I seriously think they should scrap the notion of the merger and either re-estate the Steelers. Or not bother about making a half-arsed attempt to treat Wollongong as an NRL city. (as harsh as that may be, I know.) Or move the club fully to Wollongong and call them the Illawarra Dragons.
I'll probably get attacked for this, but I'd move them all together to Wollongong. Southern Sydney already has Cronulla and Souths. Too many teams in Sydney as it is. Besides that, Kogarah Oval is not up to standard. Don't you love how they now call it OKI Jubilee Stadium. :roll:

Take a look for yourself and tell me if you think this is a stadium. The grass style seating is a particular highlight, and how about the flash scoreboard:

JF_Bay22_SCG

Post by JF_Bay22_SCG »

Beaussie wrote:
Take a look for yourself and tell me if you think this is a stadium. The grass style seating is a particular highlight, and how about the flash scoreboard:

Weird that they say they have to have fully square grounds in the NRL. Yet Kogarah is still an oval in shape.

You think they'd change that. Dumb leaguies! :roll: :wink:

I was there for a Spirit match last summer. It is better now that in that pic Brycey.

JF
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

JF_Bay22_SCG wrote:
Weird that they say they have to have fully square grounds in the NRL. Yet Kogarah is still an oval in shape.
I think there are others too like Brookvale. The NRL has made the inclusion of Gold Coast dependent on Carrara being made rectangular. Me thinks it is just to ensure the AFL never gets a look in. :evil: