Joey Johns - a spent force!

Rugby League news and discussion.
crocodileman
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Joey Johns - a spent force!

Post by crocodileman »

My tip is that we've seen the best of him. He'll have a couple of half decent games in the early part f the year, his team will be steam-rolled and he'll retire mid-season after an injury resurfaces!

Great players should know when to call it quits - Newcastle people aren't all that bright! :lol:
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Yes i sense for worry for the legend croc. I too am uncertain how the great player will go. It will be sad if he doesnt return to his best, he is definitely exciting and his brain for footy is genius. Occassionally he gets in a bit of a row after having a few beers and he doesnt deny it. True legend.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

I must say i've never been a fan of Johns. Don't get me wrong, he has (had) great ability as a footballer, but if Newcastle are serious about their future in terms of being premiership contenders, they need to be forward thinking. That forward thinking IMO means telling Johns he's no longer required sooner rather than later. The Knights have an absolutely shithouse team this season and the sooner the players, the coaching staff, the club, the fans and the people down in Newcastle realise that he wont be around forever, he wont be performing past miracles again and that he'll be more a burden on the team in the long run rather than a saviour, they'll be better for it. Sure he might do good things this year, but its time for generational change in Newcastle.
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Unfortunately generational change is unlikely to occur in Newcastle sooner rather than later.

Seems to me that the purists and traditionalists of the game reside in the region and they are slow to accept changes with the game and their team. This means that they'll perservere with Johns (and his salary) for at least another 2 seasons, and really, for as long as Johns wants to play, coach and stay there.

Remember, Newy stayed with the ARL when the Super League War was on and so were the beneficiary of the war winning the premiership. Incidently, had this war not occurred, they would not have won, as clearly the Broncos were the form team that year and would have won a unified competition in a canter.

They're loyal buggers these Knights, but this is a time when loyalty has its price!
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

You are kidding me arent you croc? Broncos the form team of that year? How on earth can you know that when they didnt play against ahlf of the competition. IMO The ARL GF was of much higher quality and skill than the super league debacle. I also believe the ARL comp as a whole was stronger.

Dizzy's I think any team is in their rights to hold onto a player who only two years ago was the uncontested best player in the world. The guy isnt over the hill, it would be a disgrace to tell him to move on and the city would probably riot if it did happen. Sure blood new players but to chuck the best player in the world without giving him a good chance at recovery is blasphemous.

xman wrote:
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

You're right, knowing Novocastrians they would riot over any dissent or anything bad said about or directed towards Joey. I'm not suggesting his his time as a player should cease immediately, but that the Knights should be mindful of their future. I'm thinking something along the lines of what Jason Taylor did with Parramatta. He played in matches but mainly just as a giude to an up and coming halfback or 5/8. Sort of like a mentor to a younger playmaker in the squad. Put simply, i'd rather see Johns have the burden of carrying the team taken off him to an extent, and just have him there to giude a younger player to the top. Kurt Gidley is already there, but another decent playmaker needs to come through the ranks fast.

If Johns gets injured this season, I fear the Knights will run alot lower than last years 9th placing.
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Im pretty sure Jason Taylor was a buy to fill the spot not to train up youngsters. i know he helped the kickers but never heard of him training a young halfback. In any case when he retired parra were completely useless. The guy played some of his best footy in that last year, even learnt how to tackle. This should go as a warning to the knights not to be disloyal and give a great player a chance.

Too many people IMO think they know when a players time is up. It is disloyal (take note beaussie) :lol: to dump a great player. Most honest clubs will allow the great player to leave on their own will, unless ofcourse things get ridiculous.

xman wrote:
crocodileman

Re: Joey Johns - a spent force!

Post by crocodileman »

crocodileman wrote:
My tip is that we've seen the best of him. He'll have a couple of half decent games in the early part f the year, his team will be steam-rolled and he'll retire mid-season after an injury resurfaces!

Great players should know when to call it quits - Newcastle people aren't all that bright! :lol:
Looks like my prediction is correct to a point - but is being fast-tracked somewhat with Joey seemingly hampered by a disc injury in his back yesterday. He made several basic errors that he wouldn't make in the past.

Is this another case of a great player simply not knowing when to call it quits?
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

I certainly hope you're wrong here croc. In any case I believe the knights have made a good choice in keeping the legend.

xman wrote: