No votes

Total votes: 4

crocodileman
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Tips for Tri-Nations Final.

Post by crocodileman »

Who will win? Argue your case.

Out of interest, will they play extra time if it's a draw at fulltime? Would Great Britain win as they finished on top of the table?
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

Australia.

Reason? Experience and class. This is the final.

I'll be surprised if they lose to be honest, but I'll expect it to be yet another extremely close match.

Kangaroos by 4.
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Did you not rate the Poms win over a disappointing NZ over the weekend?

Did you learn anything about the poms in that game?

I think the poms will win by 10+ as I reckon they are still able to step it up a gear or two. The Australians are tired after a very long season and they need a break. Plus, I don't think Bennett has the communication skills necessary to get the best out of his players.
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

crocodileman wrote:
Did you not rate the Poms win over a disappointing NZ over the weekend?

Did you learn anything about the poms in that game?

I think the poms will win by 10+ as I reckon they are still able to step it up a gear or two. The Australians are tired after a very long season and they need a break. Plus, I don't think Bennett has the communication skills necessary to get the best out of his players.
Fair points indeed, crocodileman.

However, a few wins to Britain (although impressive I must say) just hasn't given me the confidence to tip them in a final against a group of players that have seen much tougher Rugby League on a more regular basis than the British.

I suppose the point im making is along the lines of "I'll believe it when I see it". A few round robin victories isnt enough to me not to tip against a side that hasnt lost a series to them in 30 years.

If they win, then I'll rate them. Another thing id like to see from the Poms is a victory or two against the Roos in Australia. In my book, this brilliant series they are currently having would be seen as just a purple patch out of the blue if they dont back it up with some strong performances down here in Australia (I hear the Tri-Nations may be hosted by Aus and NZ next year).

However, I wont hide from the fact that GB have improved out of sight and are in a strong position to take the title this week. I would just like to see them win it before I whole-heartledly give them the big thumbs up, as we've seen this kind of thing before from them but with no success when it counts.

Formerly Uppy80
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

So you wouldn't say that if the Poms won this weekend they could be classed as the best team in the world? Even if it means they will have won their last 2 Tests against the team currently ranked the best?

I reckon a team can always fluke a win against a better team. But if they win 2 from 2, this is compelling evidence of their superiority, in my opinion.
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

crocodileman wrote:
So you wouldn't say that if the Poms won this weekend they could be classed as the best team in the world? Even if it means they will have won their last 2 Tests against the team currently ranked the best?

I reckon a team can always fluke a win against a better team. But if they win 2 from 2, this is compelling evidence of their superiority, in my opinion.
You're quite right.

In GB, they are more than competitive. Its a 50/50 bet.

My problem is their ability to win away. Most, actually just about all series' over the past few years have been in GB.

Last time they visited our shores, they were wollaped 64-10 at Aussie Stadium. Many of their current group of players were there on that night. If they are to be the best in the world, IMHO, they need to beat the current best on their (Aus) turf. If they end up doing that, and doing after a Tri-Nations victory this week, i'll be the 1st to grant them status as the No. 1 nation side.

I do agree with what you are saying though.

Formerly Uppy80
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

You mention this weekend being a 50:50 bet. If you were a bookie, what would your prices be now? I think in an earlier thread (gone with our previous site) I said it would be something like Australia $1.35 and Great Britain $2.90.

I believe that would only have marginally changed. If I was a bookie, my odds would be Australia $1.45 and Great Britain $2.75. Those odds will still be attractive if you wanted to back Australia,but will pull in some punters believing a pom win is a good show.
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

crocodileman wrote:
You mention this weekend being a 50:50 bet. If you were a bookie, what would your prices be now? I think in an earlier thread (gone with our previous site) I said it would be something like Australia $1.35 and Great Britain $2.90.

I believe that would only have marginally changed. If I was a bookie, my odds would be Australia $1.45 and Great Britain $2.75. Those odds will still be attractive if you wanted to back Australia,but will pull in some punters believing a pom win is a good show.
I think you're right.

If I was a bookie i'd be about the same: Australia $1.55, Great Britain $2.60, 5 1/2 start to GB.

However, I was to give a price that, in my mind, truly reflected how I think the contest will pan out: Australia $1.90, Great Britain $2.00, 4 1/2 start to GB.

Formerly Uppy80
MG

Post by MG »

didnt oz struggle to beat the frogs? this should meen a pommy win i think.
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

crocodileman wrote:
As usual, I show why I'm one of Australia's worst gamblers!