Rookie
Rookie
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

GET RID OF ORIGIN

Post by tpsize »

Who hates Origin footy? I do and here's why :

- Creates a mockery (or lottery) of doing tips when there are so many good players out ( I got lucky this week)
- Who cares about a 2 state rivalry? What about Victoria, New Zealand (a future state of Australia)?
- After 6 years of QLD beating NSW don't we know who the best team is. They also lead 20 to 12 since 1980. Enough!

Thankfully the AFDL got it right and did away with SoO footy. If they want to play it, how about it be done after the NRL season......or do what Super Rugby do and suspend the normal matches.

Anyone else got an opinion?
dogmaniac
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Re: GET RID OF ORIGIN

Post by dogmaniac »

yeh..... keep origin. It is one of the pinnacles of rugby league.
Bulldogs: new breed , new title!!!!
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Origin is an awesome tradition, it's gotta stay. But i dont mind the idea of playing it a few weeks after the GF. They could then have it three weeks in a row rather than over 6.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
cos789
Coach
Coach
Team: Wookie is a failed pathetic ugly woman

Post by cos789 »

I'm amazed that SOO gets up every year with the same two teams for a three game series.
I thought the obvious development would be a tri-series with NZ - three games and a decider.
But then that's only an outsider's pov.
Nice try Cos.
tpsize
Rookie
Rookie
Team:

Post by tpsize »

Here we go again. All the stars missing from their teams. Better go for some roughies. Could get anything from 0 to 5 this week.
tpsize
Rookie
Rookie
Team:

Post by tpsize »

Duh! Make that 5 a 6..........
tpsize
Rookie
Rookie
Team:

Post by tpsize »

Double Duh! No Origin tipping. What a pity. Go QLD!
MarkZZZ
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by MarkZZZ »

cos789 wrote:
I'm amazed that SOO gets up every year with the same two teams for a three game series.
I thought the obvious development would be a tri-series with NZ - three games and a decider.
But then that's only an outsider's pov.

It's a great competition between what's arguably the best players in the world cos.

I know the AFL won't revisit the state of origin again for their game but maybe a game mid-season or after the GF of Vic borne V the rest could be an attractive game.

As far as bringing NZ into it. No need, we have those games already, they are called international games, something the AFL will probably never have.
NRLCrap1 wrote:
I never stated I'm right.
NRLCrap1 wrote:
call me a skirt lifting sheila.
tpsize
Rookie
Rookie
Team:

Post by tpsize »

AFL Has international games.....against Ireland. They even play "exhibition" matches in Japan, USA etc.
Don't think it needs to be VIC vs the REST. SA and WA can hold their own against the Big V. Maybe Tassie, NSW, QLD and the Territories should be the REST.

Anyway, thankyou Raiders. You had me worried when you were a couple of points down but you came through for me. Upset number 2 for the round and 5/5 for me. Think I've finally worked out how to tip during the SoO debacle of weeks.
MarkZZZ
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by MarkZZZ »

tpsize, get your facts right, the "international" matches against Ireland are not international AFL matches. There are internationals of a hybrid/bastardize game of Gaelic football and AFL. Exhibition matches between Australian AFL players and Japanese and American AFL players, I don't recall any but if they have been they are not "international" games played between Australian AFl players and Japanese and American players.

You believe that there are enough SA and WA bourn players to hold their own against Vic born players?
NRLCrap1 wrote:
NRLCrap1 wrote:
tpsize
Rookie
Rookie
Team:

Post by tpsize »

MarkZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.......getting a bit technical aren't we? Feeling a bit inferior are we? Rugby is a bit like religion. You get a heap of breakaway codes that all like to call themselves the real "rugby". Rugby Union can claim to be a more genuine code than little "league". How about we get a match between the best Union team and the best League team and let them sort out who are the BEST of the two codes. Grid Iron rugby can come later.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6166205832

Looks like there was a bit of talk about a hybrid match last year (see link). I wonder which code chickened out?
MarkZZZ
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by MarkZZZ »

tpsize, technical, maybe but facts are facts. You don't seem to get the point, do you. Rugby League doesn't need to play a hybrid game between Rugby League and Rugby Union there are enough countries in the world that play Rugby League at a high enough level to have competitive matches. The AFL in their desperation to play "internationals" have to resort to a bastardize version of the two games. People keep saying that AFL is a game that has it's origin in Australian aboriginal culture. After seeing Gaelic football it seems more likely to me that that is where the AFL has it's origins. It is more likely that the turn of the century Victorians would adopt something from their home culture than to adapt something that was from the Australian aboriginal culture.
NRLCrap1 wrote:
NRLCrap1 wrote:
cos789
Coach
Coach
Team: Wookie is a failed pathetic ugly woman

Post by cos789 »

MarkZZZ wrote:
It's a great competition between what's arguably the best players in the world cos.
Can we cut the marketing crap we're not on TFC. We know SOO is a rl highlight.
MarkZZZ wrote:
As far as bringing NZ into it. No need, we have those games already,.
Again, most people know that and most are not very well attended.
My suggestion is a tri series between Qld, NSW and NZ for balance and a real final.
It's a suggestion -it either has merit or not.
MarkZZZ wrote:
I know the AFL won't revisit the state of origin again.
There you go. The AFL has been planning SOO this year and the feedback has been for the start of season with a shorter NAB Cup.
MarkZZZ wrote:
they are called international games, something the AFL will probably never have.
FYI, their have been plenty of International Australian Football matches and their have been numerous Australian Football internationals with Australian sides. They may be youth sides but some of those games have outdrawn rl internationals so I'd just concentrate on rl and no so much trying to drag Australian Football down OK.

Nice try Cos.
MarkZZZ
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by MarkZZZ »

cos789 wrote:
MarkZZZ wrote:
Can we cut the marketing crap we're not on TFC. We know SOO is a rl highlight.
MarkZZZ wrote:
As far as bringing NZ into it. No need, we have those games already,.
Again, most people know that and most are not very well attended.
My suggestion is a tri series between Qld, NSW and NZ for balance and a real final.
It's a suggestion -it either has merit or not.
MarkZZZ wrote:
I know the AFL won't revisit the state of origin again.
There you go. The AFL has been planning SOO this year and the feedback has been for the start of season with a shorter NAB Cup.
MarkZZZ wrote:
they are called international games, something the AFL will probably never have.
FYI, their have been plenty of International Australian Football matches and their have been numerous Australian Football internationals with Australian sides. They may be youth sides but some of those games have outdrawn rl internationals so I'd just concentrate on rl and no so much trying to drag Australian Football down OK.

I stand by all those comments cos.

The fact is until the AFL matches its very best against the very best of another country the cannot call themselves an international sport. There are players playing Aussie Rules in other countries but so do a lot of other sports that are not international sports (I bet there is a croquet international competition/world championship) but until you test your very best against the very best of another country you will be what you are now, at best, an elite group of players playing your sport on your turf. Definitely not an international sport.
NRLCrap1 wrote:
NRLCrap1 wrote:
tpsize
Rookie
Rookie
Team:

Post by tpsize »

"........there are enough countries in the world that play Rugby League at a high enough level to have competitive matches." What a load of crap. The UK has 4 teams in next year's World cup......England, Wales, Sotland and Ireland. They are more like states than separate countries. Oh, and Cook islands, Tonga, Fiji, PNG, Samoa, Serbia & Lenbanon are right up there. Tough competition, hey what! Sth Africa, NZ and France are tough competition as well. Almost sounds like the Commonwealth Games. Might as well get a team from Canada and India to round the comp off. There is only one world game of football.....SOCCER. The rest, including AFL, don't come close.