Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Ex-Swan to Assist Manly

Post by Beaussie »

SMH wrote:
Ex-Swan to give Manly a kick-start
January 21, 2005
http://www.smh.com.au/news/League/ExSwa ... 78710.html

Manly have a new weapon in their campaign to make the NRL's top eight this season - former Sydney Swans player Troy Luff.

The Sea Eagles, in a bid to improve on their disappointing 13th finish last season, have recruited Luff, a former Swans cult hero, as a kicking and catching coach.

Coach Des Hasler is not afraid to tap into the talent pool of rival codes, with former Socceroo Graham Arnold another regular at the club's training base at Narrabeen.

Luff was not renown for his kicking game during his 155 games for the Swans between 1990 and 2001 but believes he can help the Sea Eagles, particularly in the area of placement.

"The way that I view rugby league kicking style is it tends to be just kick it and hope for the best," Luff said.

"We're trying to work on more placement and where the kicks land. Just trying to get them to kick more like an AFL-style, in that we have targets.

"It's also about trying a few different tactics which involve kicking, something which probably isn't done enough in rugby league. It's the same with the catching - trying to use the hands to catch the ball rather than the chest."

Luff explained he was teaching Manly players to leap high and use their hands to catch the ball, a useful skill in scoring tries from bombs.

Halfback and captain Michael Monaghan will be the No.1 kicker for Manly this season, following the loss of five-eighth Andrew Walker, who retired last year after testing positive to cocaine.

Parramatta recruit Michael Witt will take on some kicking duties and winger Chris Hicks and hooker Chad Randall are eager to help out when they can.

Luff, who also works as a ground announcer at the Swans' home matches, said the majority of Manly players had embraced the rival code's skills.

"There's probably only a couple of guys I see who aren't as enthusiastic as the rest of the group," he said.

"It is something different for them and, hopefully, it'll give them an advantage this year."

As a Newcastle Knights supporter, Luff may be expected to change his allegiances as he will be attending several Manly games this year to finetune the players' kicking tactics.

AAP
Rugga cactus slapper
Team:
Been liked: 0

Post by Rugga cactus slapper »

Manly, now thats a real name.

PITY THEY PLAY THE DEVILS GAME :twisted:
I love a hard prickly cactus, smack me baby, you piss in my sock and i'll piss in yours.
Rugby Union is full of FREAKS.

The game is crap.

RUGBY LEAGUE IS THE GREATEST GAME

TGG