MarkZZZ
Captain
Captain
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Rorting The Salary Cap

Post by MarkZZZ »

The Sorm get caught out with two sets of books. For sure there are other teams in the same boat as the Storm. I would say there are a few of them out there. I have heard rumours about the Roosters and the Broncos and possibly the Bunnies. Time will tell if any of that is true. Is the penalty too harsh, no, I don't think so. They have reached their height with a playing roster that they would not of have otherwise had. The no points for the season is also right as they have a roster that they would otherwise not have had which gives them an unfair advantage against all the other teams. It definately sends a message to all the others out there. Do others think the penalty is too high?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Tough call for Storm fans but I think the NRL had no other choice. The rorting demonstrated over a 5 year period required harsh penalties to be applied to set an example for any clubs considering following a similar path.

That said, what are peoples thoughts on tipping Melbourne Storm games? I would have thought tipping as usual but am open to other alternative opinions. What do tippers think?
MarkZZZ
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by MarkZZZ »

I think it should be business as usual for the players. Afterall they are playing for a contract for next year. The Storm will be having to cut $700.000 worth of talent from the roster to get under the salary cap next year. The players to be shed will be out to secure a contract. The incentive to perform is there for the players.
territorian
Team:

Post by territorian »

MarkZZZ.....agree 100%, the extent of deception needs to be discouraged.

Beaussie.............. originally thought Melbourne a risk for tipping, what they got play for? but having seen their demolition of the Warriors + media reports of team unity and a resolve to stick together, I was impressed. Valid point of players focussed to obtain contract for next season. Undecided, if things go good......could perform OK......a couple of losses..... lose interest + hard to keep squad motivated.

From a tipping perspective, will monitor their progress & "take it week by week".....sitting on the fence!!!
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Surely the Storm players still have a lot to play for in pride, test and SoO selections yeah?
Shonkster
Team:

Salary Cap

Post by Shonkster »

With the salary cap issue. People tend to forget that Canberra were over the salary cap by $110,000 dollars when they won the 1990 premiership.
This would be comparable in today's breaches by Melbourne. Their penalty was a fine but kept the premiership and all was forgotten by the end of the off season.
:evil: [/quote]
kaskill
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by kaskill »

they only came down hard on storm because they are a victorian side and we dominate all sport in the country :wink:
Scorger Man
Reserves
Reserves
Team: Richmond Tigers

Post by Scorger Man »

and cause there is nothing better to do down there......