Total votes: 4

Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Football codes fight night - Webb vs Hall

Post by Beaussie »

How good would it be if this bout goes ahead. Who would win?
Webb and Hall plan for boxing bout
By James Hooper | March 15, 2009 12:00am

NEGOTIATIONS have started about setting up a battle of the football codes fight night between Queensland Origin enforcer Carl Webb and Sydney Swans star Barry Hall. The Sunday Telegraph has learned boxing promoter Angelo Hyder is the man behind the NRL-AFL super bout, which would generate a multi-million-dollar purse.

While both players remain committed to football this season, the plan is to stage the fight at the end of the year.

Webb has a clause in his NRL contract with North Queensland allowing him to have one fight during the off-season.

"For now, I'm totally focused on the Cowboys and footy, but if everything goes according to plan this season, I'd love to have a fight,'' Webb said.

"At the moment, for me, it's all about rugby league, that's my top priority. But my manager (Sam Ayoub) has been in touch about maybe setting up a fight with Barry.

"If everything works out, I'd love to fight Barry. I've got tremendous respect for him as an athlete and what he's achieved in the AFL.''

Hall remains unsigned by the Swans beyond this season and recently said he would make a call on whether to play on midway through the year.

The champion Swans full-forward, who looks in peak physical condition leading into the new season, has previously outlined his intention to box once his AFL career is over.

Boxing promoter Hyder has been in discussions with Webb's agent for a fortnight. If the fight goes ahead, former WBA light-heavyweight Danny Green will promote Hall while Grange Old School boxing are in discussions to promote Webb.

Hyder, the man behind Hall's private boxing tuition, is only acting as a middle man and will take a back seat in terms of promoting the event.

"I've been working with Barry Hall for the past year and let me tell you, if he wanted to step into the ring with any of the current Australian heavyweights he would be able to handle it easy,'' Hyder said.

"That's how good he is. He's the smartest athlete I've ever worked with in terms of how fast he's able to pick things up.''

Possible venues for the bout include Dairy Farmers Stadium in Townsville, Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane and the SFS in Sydney.

Webb won the Queensland amateur under-15 title and boasts a record of five fights for five wins.

Hall was suspended for seven weeks last season after he knocked out West Coast Eagles defender Brent Staker with a single punch.

The fight would be guaranteed to generate millions being sold to pubs and clubs around the country.

Webb's agent Ayoub stressed his client was committed to the Cowboys and the NRL and he would handle all negotiations.

"From Carl's perspective, he's totally focussed on the Cowboys. His first priority lies in honouring his contract there,'' Ayoub said.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...016140,00.html
kaskill
Seniors
Seniors
Team:
Been liked: 0

Post by kaskill »

that'd be awesome id love to see that swans thug get KOed :wink: