Rugby League news and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Gold Coast Dolphins

Post by Beaussie »

Never mind what I've had to say in Fight Club, on a serious note, is the Gold Coast capable of supporting the Dolphins should they gain entry to the NRL in 2007?
EvilGeee.
Team:
Been liked: 0

Post by EvilGeee. »

Of course. I believe the support is there despite their failures in the past. All they'll need to do is win games to keep the crowd coming in. My only real problem with it is the NRL might have missed the boat by suspending expansion.

NRL are as fukking stupid as KE.

Here......have a drumstick.

LU, where paranoia runs amok.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Just so you know how shite your replies are gherkin.

"Your obsession with me is disturbing ever since I had you banned from league unlimited" :lol:

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
EvilGeee.
Team:

Post by EvilGeee. »

Oh the irony. :lol:

King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

EvilGeee. wrote:
Oh the irony. :lol:
I know. I'm bloody hopeless. :oops:

xman wrote:
crocodileman
Has thanked: 0

Post by crocodileman »

I hope they are admitted to the NRL and screw the Redcliffe Dolphins (Qld Cup Competition) who are up in arms at the choice of the name "Dolphins" as they had aspirations to join the competition in the future.

The Redcliffe Dolphins have helped contribute to the destruction of Club League in Brisbane so I'm pleased that what goes around comes around!

As for their readiness, I reckon they'll fall again like a bag of dung, just as previous attempts to base a team there have fared!
EvilGeee.
Team:

Post by EvilGeee. »

crocodileman wrote:
As for their readiness, I reckon they'll fall again like a bag of dung, just as previous attempts to base a team there have fared!
But isn't it a similar situation as Souths? Getting bums in seats. Solid crowd attendances would ensure their survival. They've just got to win games.

Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

EvilGeee. wrote:
crocodileman wrote:
But isn't it a similar situation as Souths? Getting bums in seats. Solid crowd attendances would ensure their survival. They've just got to win games.
I would think the Broncos ain't going to be too helpful either. The Dolphins are potentially moving in on Bronco territory. How long do you think it would take for them to be successful? Could they pull off another Melbourne Storm and win the premiership in only their second season?
EvilGeee.
Team:

Post by EvilGeee. »

Beaussie wrote:
EvilGeee. wrote:
crocodileman wrote:
I would think the Broncos ain't going to be too helpful either. The Dolphins are potentially moving in on Bronco territory. How long do you think it would take for them to be successful? Could they pull off another Melbourne Storm and win the premiership in only their second season?
I highly doubt it. The Storm were successful early on because they used a winning formula. I've often called them the Broncos Mach 2. Effectively that's what they were.

I think the Gold Coast started the same year as the Broncos. 1988. I can't see how one will effect the other in terms of crowd figures or player movements. I would've rather seen Perth make a come back or a second team in Brisbane.

Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

EvilGeee. wrote:
Beaussie wrote:
I highly doubt it. The Storm were successful early on because they used a winning formula. I've often called them the Broncos Mach 2. Effectively that's what they were.

I think the Gold Coast started the same year as the Broncos. 1988. I can't see how one will effect the other in terms of crowd figures or player movements. I would've rather seen Perth make a come back or a second team in Brisbane.
This winning formula wouldn't be John Ribot and the cheque book of News Ltd would it? :lol:

As for the Gold Coast and Broncos, I would have thought the Broncos would want SEQ all to themselves or actually all of QLD to themselves if it was possible.

I don't think Perth is ready for a come back. What happened with the Reds will not easily be forgotten. Considering what the ARU has recently announced with regards to WA and a new team in Super 14, one cannot help but think that pulling the plug on the Reds was a very bad move that could be the downfall of RL all together in WA. What do you reckon?
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

I'd guess 12 years beaussie. Its gunna take awhile for that team to get going. No player base is also a big factor. Melbourne storm had a quality lineup that is a rare giveaway nowadays.

I reckon the reds is next century. :lol:

xman wrote:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Whether you like them or not, John Ribot and the News Ltd cheque book have ensured a successful outfit in Melbourne. The people of Victoria don't seem to care for that success though judging by the dwindling crowd support even when they're successful.
EvilGeee.
Team:

Post by EvilGeee. »

Beaussie wrote:
I don't think Perth is ready for a come back. What happened with the Reds will not easily be forgotten. Considering what the ARU has recently announced with regards to WA and a new team in Super 14, one cannot help but think that pulling the plug on the Reds was a very bad move that could be the downfall of RL all together in WA. What do you reckon?
I disagree. I was there for the Reds birth and demise. Perth are more than ready for another team and it has to happen soon before League is totally forgotten.

Channel 9 is one of its brick walls in WA. They aren't very keen after the last debacle. Channel 9 Perth is privately owned. They geared themselves up for Rugby League to be televised regularly. Then the ARL pulled the pin leaving Channel 9 Perth out of pocket.

The year we arrived in Perth SoO was being shown during prime time television. The year we left, SoO II was scheduled to be on at 4 am after Wimbledumb. The tennis ran over time and the second Origin match was never televised. It was even advertised as Rugby Union SoO. :evil:

The problem in Perth isn't the crowd, but the powers that be. The public want it. In a perfect world, the Reds would never have been axed.

Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Was Channel 9 Perth broadcasting rugby league other than SoO when the Reds were around?

I'm surprised that they didn't have more of a say in keeping the Reds alive at the time.

LOL at SoO being advertised as Rugby Union.
EvilGeee.
Team:

Post by EvilGeee. »

Yes. We got at least one weekend game a week and when the Reds finally kicked off we got more. League was given a fair go in Perth. Crowd attendances were averaging nearly 10,000. They won nearly 50% of their games. That's a good enough stat to make the finals with the current teams running around. Perth was succeeding. The ARL lack the balls to follow through.

Where would the Swans be if the AFL didn't help them out in their time in need? The Swans were given a proper opportunity to be a competitive team. It may have taken them a decade, but they were given a decent chance.

The ARL could learn a thing or two from the AFL.