Scorger Man
Reserves
Reserves
Team: Richmond Tigers
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Johns the untouchable

Post by Scorger Man »

I think it's a joke that Johns is allowed to assist teams inlight of his drug issues that have come to surface. What is this saying to the youth of today? It is a privilege to be coached by a drug user?

He should have to do some grassroots community work for a year or more (three would be fitting) before he can take on roles like that...

and then the Tim Smith debarcle, he obviously has taken Johns's advice
Macarthur Saints
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Macarthur Saints »

Sailor got banned for taking drugs, alll these other players have been banned for years for drug taking, i think the difference is that he retired before announcing that he took drugs..

I know Sailor got busted for taking a "performance enhancing drug" but it was the fact that these other players got caught. Andrew supposably didn't..
Supporting Junior League
"Macarthur Saints JRLFC"
http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info. ... -19706-0-0
LisaJ
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by LisaJ »

maybe the training is part of his rehabilitation case plan. Diversion therapy..who's not to say that he is still not continuing with his drug/mental health therapy..

considering he has bi-polar and depression which lead to the drug use, from a therapeutic point of view, the fact that he is continuing to do something that he obviously loves and appears to be maintaining his therapy is a positive which needs to be encouraged.

He's also admitted that he has an issue and has sought to address that..lots of people get second chances..this is his..
Scorger Man
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Scorger Man »

Yeah sorry I didn't point out the obvious, I thought that being a footy talking website that would have been a given. Obviously the fact he was retired was a major factor to him not facing any ban in regards to ASDA and the little drug hound has the right to do as he pleases once he did retire. My point is that as he was the worlds greatest player for how many years (?), the ARL, NSWRL and the NRL have to really look at whether his recent public discoveries are what they wish to promote. I'm sorry but when anyone mentions the person in question, my mind automatically goes to his episode in the incident in london - And so it bloody should too, heaps of sportpeople have been tarnished from their drug taking lifestyle, so why should he be any different. At least some people have the guts to admit it without prior reason and have willingly given their awards back as they knew they didn't deserve them. As I've stated before, in rugby league there have been many people who have coped it on the chin but this seems to be not relevent to Johns- maybe because he was rated the worlds best player, I don't know, there are probably a thousand reasons why he doesn't seem to fit into that catergory. His is from a white, working class family which Australia's ideology seems to pride itself on and being a little Cessnock battler who became the best in the world sounds all too familar in the Australian cliche.

All I can say is in regards to his recent events and the amount of true Australian champions on our prestigious wall of fame, he's no Phar Lap, Les Darc'y or Don Bradman - let alone Wally Lewis, Arty Beetson or Dally Messenger. Do the crime, everyone should do the time - no exceptions. It's not as if rugby league is collapsing without him.

If it a case of rehabilitating him from his evil ways and getting him on track to be a world class coach (or whatever!), yeah in time he should get involved. I'm not disregarding his talent and what he can imput to the world of rugby league but there should definelty be a cooling off period that he should take (or more to the point, that he should self impose on himself) until he firstly has the total credibility of the majority, not just when he feels he's ready. The world ain't going to miss his imput, but he'll be a bonus when he does the time, gains cred and shows his wares.

Dont even start me on the timing of his bust and the debut of his autobiography, thats another can of worms that one.....
Scorger Man
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Scorger Man »

After rereading my post I have come to the realisation on one thing that I failed to recognise - Johns is a victim.

Like what Australia basis it's classic ideology on, Johns is victimised just like the history of of the Aussie battler.

He had a tough life but he got through, he's a digger, he's true blue

He's Sampsons donkey, he started the Eureka stockade - shit he's probably related to Burke or Wills........
Scorger Man
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Scorger Man »

The poor bastard, lucky it is him and not me - I couldn't handle the life he's been through
Macarthur Saints
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Macarthur Saints »

So do you condone drug use for people who have bi-polar and depression?
Supporting Junior League
"Macarthur Saints JRLFC"
http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info. ... -19706-0-0
dogsact

Post by dogsact »

Its funny how all these people suddenly suffer from depression, bi-polar or ADD only after they are caught out. I might go commit a crime, I can use any of thos three as an excuse, heck why not say I was abused as well!

Most of them are just hiding tha fact they fucked up and made poor choices.
Scorger Man
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Scorger Man »

dogsact wrote:
Its funny how all these people suddenly suffer from depression, bi-polar or ADD only after they are caught out. I might go commit a crime, I can use any of thos three as an excuse, heck why not say I was abused as well!

Most of them are just hiding tha fact they ****** up and made poor choices.
Yeah your right, It's funny how you don't hear about it until they get caught.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

dogsact wrote:

It's interesting to see taking drugs throughout his career has not resulted in the type of media attention Ben Cousins has received. Does anyone honestly believe Cousins would be considered in a leadership role at a club? What makes Johns so different? :?>
David.C-Mighty Manly 1st
Team: Manly Sea-Eagles Carlton Blues

Post by David.C-Mighty Manly 1st »

Plain and Simple Mr A.Johns is nothing but a DRUG CHEAT lets stop making excuses for these people and he deserves full punishment, which i might say is nothing but a slap on the hand please do not do this again you naughty boy. What a farce maybe the punishment should be take every accolade and award he has ever got of him. I wonder would the Newcastle Knights have won anything mmmmm poses the question hey. #-o
LisaJ
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by LisaJ »

Beaussie wrote:
dogsact wrote:

It's interesting to see taking drugs throughout his career has not resulted in the type of media attention Ben Cousins has received. Does anyone honestly believe Cousins would be considered in a leadership role at a club? What makes Johns so different? :?>
Cousins was co-captain of the Eagles before he had to step down due to his behavioural issues.

being on drugs in not a excuse to act like an idiot. Johns and Cousins are both twits (probably worse names I can use but I like twit) will they ever gain the respect of the public again? I highly doubt that, but, if they both seek to address these issues and as part of their therapy then are able to get back into a position of being able to pass on their knowledge of the game, then thats ok. Remember, just cos they have drug/mental health issues their knowledge and skill of the game is not gone..
Scorger Man
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Scorger Man »

Did Johns do something wrong?? You wouldn't think so the way that channel 9 have embraced him (on top of the Bulldogs and the Eels)

Has anyone seen him doing anything for the anti drugs campain? If so you'd think that it would be promoted very widely due to his obvious media connections. At least Cousins has joined the 'KO To Drugs' campain, I wonder if Johns was approached?

'Sweep it under the carpet and pretty soon the public will forget about it' is the Johns management game plan I reckon......sorry but I wont when I have seen so many other players dragged over the coals and humiliated for their similar indiscretions.
Grim Reaper
Coach
Coach
Team:

Post by Grim Reaper »

Andrew Johns is the best dealer I have ever met!