Australia vs Kiwis 14th October

Post by yeenar69 »

Fresh-faced Kiwis squad named
NZPA | Monday, 1 October 2007

Email a Friend | Printable View | Have Your SayRelated Links
• Subscribe to Archivestuff
• Have your say

Advertisement

AdvertisementSeven uncapped players including two with the name Jeremy Smith have been named in a fresh-faced Kiwis squad for this month's Centenary Test against Australia.

New coach Gary Kemble's 19-man squad for the one-off rugby league test in Wellington on October 14 is dotted with exciting youngsters including St George-Illawarra teenager Chase Stanley, nephew of All Black Joe Stanley, and powerful Wests Tigers centre-wing Taniela Tuiaki.

The other newcomers are Melbourne interchange forward Jeff Lima, Parramatta prop Fuifui Moimoi, Cronulla's goalkicking wing Luke Covell, and the two Smiths.

Christchurch-born Melbourne Storm second rower Jeremy Smith, 27, was rewarded for his strong season with the National Rugby League minor premier while his Huntly-born South Sydney namesake, 26, will partner the Bulldogs' Ben Roberts in the halves.

Prop Roy Asotasi, who led the Kiwis for the first time in the Anzac test loss to the Kangaroos in April, retained the captaincy.

Injuries dealt Kemble a tough hand in the selection lead-up, with veteran prop Nathan Cayless the latest to be ruled out at the weekend.

Others unavailable because of injury, who played against the Kangaroos in April, were five-eighth Benji Marshall (shoulder), second rower Sonny Bill Williams (broken arm), centre Iosia Soliola (knee) and wing Manu Vatuvei (knee).

Kiwis squad:- Backs: Krisnan Inu (Parramatta), Luke Covell (Cronulla), Taniela Tuiaki (Wests Tigers), Chase Stanley (St George-Illawarra), Shontayne Hape (Bradford), Paul Whatuira (Wests Tigers), Simon Mannering (Warriors), Steve Matai (Manly), Ben Roberts (Bulldogs), Jeremy Smith (South Sydney).

Forwards: Roy Asotasi (captain, South Sydney), Jeff Lima (Melbourne), Fuifui Moimoi (Parramatta), Sam Rapira (Warriors), David Faiumu (North Queensland), Dene Halatau (Wests Tigers), Louis Anderson (Warriors), Frank Pritchard (Penrith), Jeremy Smith (Melbourne).
http://www.stuff.co.nz/4220821a1823.html
[/u]
yeenar69
Seniors
Seniors
Team:
Been liked: 0

Post by yeenar69 »

Selectors take broom to Kangaroos
Email Printer friendly version Normal font Large font October 1, 2007 - 12:24PM

Advertisement
AdvertisementIt was out with the old and in with the new as Australian selectors ushered in a fresh era for the Kangaroos ahead of next year's Rugby League World Cup.

Seven players were named to make their Test debuts in the October 14 clash against New Zealand in Wellington, a mixture of injuries and poor form leaving the Australian side vastly different from the squad who accounted for the Kiwis in the mid-year Test.

Among the debutants named were Cronulla duo Paul Gallen and Greg Bird, but it was a day of mixed feelings for Gallen who still has to get through a team medical on Thursday.

Gallen hurt his shoulder while playing for the Prime Minister's XIII in last week's 24-24 draw with Papua New Guinea, and is racing the clock to be fit to wear the No.13 jumper against the Kiwis.

"I'm not too excited just yet, I've got to pass my medical first ... I'll wait until I get cleared before I get too happy about it," Gallen said.

"I'll be really, really disappointed if I don't pass the medical, I'm just going to hang out until then and see how I go.

"The docs actually said last Wednesday I probably wouldn't be right but it's come pretty good the last three or four days."

Joining the Sharks pair in getting their first Test call-up were fullback Brett Stewart, winger Jarryd Hayne, backrower Ryan Hoffman, bench utility Kurt Gidley and No.7 Cooper Cronk, who will partner Bird in what is a new halves pairing.

"It's not so much changing of the guard as looking to the future," Australian selector Les Geeves said.

"Next year's the centenary year and there's the World Cup, but obviously the injuries have taken a toll as well."

First choice halves Darren Lockyer (knee) and Johnathan Thurston (shoulder) were both unavailable for selection, as was incumbent fullback Karmichael Hunt (hamstring).

In all, there were 11 new faces from the side which beat New Zealand 30-6 in April this year, which represented the biggest turnover of players since 2003.

Cronk got the nod after out-pointing rival halfback Matt Orford in Melbourne's 34-8 grand final win over Manly, the Storm rewarded for their dominance over the last two seasons with their best ever representation in a Test side.

Joining Cronk were Greg Inglis, who was picked on the wing, Michael Crocker, Hoffman and hooker Cameron Smith, who was named as skipper in place of the injured Lockyer.

"I wake up every morning proud as punch to play halfback for the Melbourne Storm and I'm content with that," Cronk said on his return to the Victorian capital.

"But to play halfback for my country is something completely different.

"I'm going to worry about it a little bit later on, I've got an NRL title to celebrate."

For Smith, being handed the captaincy capped a memorable 24 hours.

"I was overwhelmed last night to be able to lift this trophy up and lead these boys to a grand final win, but to be the captain of your country is something special," he said.

"It was only last year that I was behind Danny (Buderus for the hooker spot).

"I know I was very lucky that Danny stood down because he had a baby on the way and that gave me that opportunity.

"The only guys I can thank are the guys that I play with here and the coaches.

"I'm pretty certain that I wouldn't be in the position that I'm in now if I was playing somewhere else so I'm very fortunate to be at a club like this."

Coach Ricky Stuart admitted Melbourne's grand final win had helped sway the selectors, with several positions under scrutiny heading into last night's decider.

"There was a number of players in contention and yes there were some Manly players, but not only Manly players," Stuart said.

"There were a number of positions that were very contentious in regards to selection."

Australia: Brett Stewart (Manly), Greg Inglis (Melbourne), Mark Gasnier (St George Illawarra), Justin Hodges (Brisbane), Jarryd Hayne (Parramatta), Greg Bird (Cronulla), Cooper Cronk (Melbourne), Brent Kite (Manly), Cameron Smith (capt, Melbourne), Petero Civoniceva (Brisbane), Nathan Hindmarsh (Parramatta), Ryan Hoffman (Melbourne), Paul Gallen (Cronulla). Interchange: Kurt Gidley (Newcastle), Willie Mason (Bulldogs), Steve Price (NZ Warriors), Michael Crocker (Melbourne).
http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/Aus ... 96388.html
Macarthur Saints
Reserves
Reserves
Team:
Has thanked: 0

Post by Macarthur Saints »

Some of those new Zealand guys are not ready for test footy, i believe the NZ selectors are doing this so they can enstill in there mind and make there mind up for them to who they'll play with when it comes to representitive footy.

Chase Stanley is no where near ready for test footy, he and a few of those guys possibly have the opportunity to play for NSW in the future, is this the way the selectors are going.Grab them before they are ready just to convert them to another rep site..

What's Ben Creagh got to do to get selected, he's played consistant footy for 2 years and deserves a shot...
yeenar69
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by yeenar69 »

Ben Creagh a lil one eyed ,, what about Bowen what about Farah the list goes on

nteresting when Wests Tigers won the comp the Aus team was full of Cowboys and not one player from the Premier team yet this year ... pffft Crocker even GIdley (who had a few good games all year joke joke joke )

I also think that CHase has the ability to play international footy he is of the ame standard as Hayne ... just had limited opportunities to shine with the Dragons struggling this year
Macarthur Saints
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Macarthur Saints »

[quote="yeenar69"]Ben Creagh a lil one eyed ,, what about Bowen what about Farah the list goes on

nteresting when Wests Tigers won the comp the Aus team was full of Cowboys and not one player from the Premier team yet this year ... pffft Crocker even GIdley (who had a few good games all year joke joke joke )

I also think that CHase has the ability to play international footy he is of the ame standard as Hayne ... just had limited opportunities to shine with the Dragons struggling this year[/quote]

Oh definately Bowen and Farah deserve a shot, by no means was i saying Creagh as the only one to be ripped off, all these guys play strong week in and week out to only be look past over tried and tested test reps.
LisaJ
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by LisaJ »

I saw on the sports news the other night that Krisnan Inu was included in the Kiwi side..

I wonder if he's going to give a little grin before he tries to convert...hmm.. :lol:
yeenar69
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by yeenar69 »

I love is lil smiles Lisa it is sooooooooooooo cute =P~ hehehehehe

not to mention his excitement he brings wto the game with the football in his hands
dogsact

Post by dogsact »

What a flogging! Awesome debut and first tyry from Issy Falou! Inglis, brilliant.
THe whole team, sensational.
yeenar69
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by yeenar69 »

yeah too bad the Aussie team is loaded with Kiwis lmao Mason, Falou and Hanes :P
dogsact

Post by dogsact »

Falou was born in Australia, Mason NZ, Hanes I dont know.
yeenar69
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by yeenar69 »

but thier motherland is New Zealand