Gather Round

Australian Football news and discussion.
azif
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Albury Thunder
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 6 times

Re: Gather Round

Post by azif »

Fred wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:30 pm
I think southeast qld has a very strong Aussie rules presence - not as big as RL but possibly big enough for a one off weekend. Adding to that, plenty of people would more likely come from across the country given qld is a holiday destination so makes the trip more attractive. Think it would work - maybe more as a one-off as novelty may wear off. But there are plenty of Aussie rules supporters on gc and Brisbane I think - many who follow non local teams (as noted then suns play - always opposition team supporters lol). Do gives them another game to go to.
it has a strong presence of ex pat fumblers & they are the only ones who follow the game & they're the only ones who will bother watching this magic round lite rubbish when the NRL is on at the same time , the 20K Lions fans & 10K suns fans
no one else
the NRL will make sure the Broncos , the Titans , the Cowboys & the Dolphins all play in SE QLD on the same weekend taking up all the attention in SE Qld
I dunno what you lot aren't getting about this

this stolen unoriginal idea will only work where fumbling bumbling & missing is popular
no where else
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

Beaussie wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:07 pm
Fred wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:30 pm
I think southeast qld has a very strong Aussie rules presence - not as big as RL but possibly big enough for a one off weekend. Adding to that, plenty of people would more likely come from across the country given qld is a holiday destination so makes the trip more attractive. Think it would work - maybe more as a one-off as novelty may wear off. But there are plenty of Aussie rules supporters on gc and Brisbane I think - many who follow non local teams (as noted then suns play - always opposition team supporters lol). Do gives them another game to go to.
Brisbane ruled out with run down Gabba I suspect. The AFL planning 3 Gather Rounds. :thumbleft:

8-[

:-k

:hmm:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/

was this thought up by the players in the safe houses , high as fucking kites on meth ? :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/

only someone under the influence of some pretty strong gear could come up with something so utterly ridiculous :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

why not have 24 gather rounds ?

the gather round the gather rounds :lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Someone’s triggered yet again 😂
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

Beaussie wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:44 pm
Someone’s triggered yet again 😂
oh absolutely

with fits of laughter

only a cooker could think this shit up :lol: :lol: :lol: :(/ :(/ :(/
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

From my experience, I think you are right in that there are a lot of ex-pats ion the gc - but I also know of many born and bred Queenslanders who follow the game - they may also follow RL and maybe even soccer (usually epl) but also Aussie rules. I think the days of you either like this or you like that are fast becoming a thing of the past. Like me - I turned over to watch the end of the Storm game.
Veni, vidi, vici
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

Fred wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:58 pm
From my experience, I think you are right in that there are a lot of ex-pats ion the gc - but I also know of many born and bred Queenslanders who follow the game - they may also follow RL and maybe even soccer (usually epl) but also Aussie rules. I think the days of you either like this or you like that are fast becoming a thing of the past. Like me - I turned over to watch the end of the Storm game.
born & bred whos daddys moved there from the sthn states & their kids are slowly having it bred out of them by their environment, sure they'll play it , its soft & safe . But they're watching Reece Walsh , The Hammer . Tommy Deardon, because the NRL is in... cool ... sick.
sorry , if you are generationally a qlder from prior to the 80's you have little interest in afl

TV ratings disprove their is a growing trend of enjoyment for both codes , there really isn't.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

azif wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:45 am
born & bred whos daddys moved there from the sthn states & their kids are slowly having it bred out of them by their environment, sure they'll play it , its soft & safe . But they're watching Reece Walsh , The Hammer . Tommy Deardon, because the NRL is in... cool ... sick.
sorry , if you are generationally a qlder from prior to the 80's you have little interest in afl

TV ratings disprove their is a growing trend of enjoyment for both codes , there really isn't.

Fair point re: ratings- nrl still dominant in qld - and Aussie rules still disappointing I think. A long way to go indeed. Definetely a niche market though for AFL but is it enough?
Veni, vidi, vici
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

Fred wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:44 am
azif wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:45 am

Fair point re: ratings- nrl still dominant in qld - and Aussie rules still disappointing I think. A long way to go indeed. Definetely a niche market though for AFL but is it enough?
when you consider the obsession the afl has for " taking over " in NSW & QLD & the money they've spent in the last 42 years attempting to
they'd be very disappointed with the results so far.

all they've done with their agenda is motivate their only rival in Aust ( the NRL) to improve themselves to a point where they'll never be removed as the sport of choice in NSW & QLD ( the bigger half of Aust)
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Penciling this in for next year me thinks. They should look to having it over a long weekend though - which would be good. My only issue is that accomodation will be through the roof. Two games in Barossa apparently next year so a trip to a few wineries would not go astray either.
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Something the NRL is really good at already..

playing games in country areas around NSW and QLD during the season
and also heading regional stadiums
most stadiums fit no more than 10k max (but look great)

the amount of attention the media have given to country or regional areas
you would think the AFL are the first to do it :lol:
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

AFL having been doing it for a while Leroy. Cairns, Ballarat, Alice Springs, cairns, Darwin …. Not a new thing in afl.
Veni, vidi, vici
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

Fred wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:34 pm
AFL having been doing it for a while Leroy. Cairns, Ballarat, Alice Springs, cairns, Darwin …. Not a new thing in afl.
Leroy didn't infer it was new in the afl

he said the afl are carrying on like they invented elite sport in regional australia ... they carry on like they invent a lot of things when in reality im not sure they've invented anything .... like they haven't had an original idea ever :lol:

well theres origin i guess :-k
so
one thing :cool:
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

azif wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:36 pm

he said the afl are carrying on like they invented elite sport in regional australia ... they carry on like they invent a lot of things when in reality im not sure they've invented anything .... like they haven't had an original idea ever :lol:

so
Fair enough - must have interpreted what he was saying incorrectly.

Yes, SoO is an Aussie Rules invention :)

What else is there I wonder? The final 8 Mcintyre system(s) - was this first used in AFL? How about the final 8 system used now - I believe the AFL moved away from the latest version of the McIntyre system before the NRL to the current system both codes use.

And don't forget AFLX :). Or may be we all should forget that abomination!!!

But AFL in and of itself is very unique - invented here and followed by millions - and some hate it too :)

Do NRL have a massive banner they run through at the start of the game? could this be an AFL thing? Also, signing the club song after a game? But are these traditions rather than inventions.
Veni, vidi, vici
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

Fred wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:25 am
azif wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:36 pm

so
Fair enough - must have interpreted what he was saying incorrectly.

Yes, SoO is an Aussie Rules invention :)

What else is there I wonder? The final 8 Mcintyre system(s) - was this first used in AFL? How about the final 8 system used now - I believe the AFL moved away from the latest version of the McIntyre system before the NRL to the current system both codes use.

And don't forget AFLX :). Or may be we all should forget that abomination!!!

But AFL in and of itself is very unique - invented here and followed by millions - and some hate it too :)

Do NRL have a massive banner they run through at the start of the game? could this be an AFL thing? Also, signing the club song after a game? But are these traditions rather than inventions.
the present finals system used by the both codes now is the NRL's old system , the AFL's system Mcintyre system both used by both codes , has been scrapped for being shit
banners are an American sports tradition copied by the AFL & team songs have been sung by teams in all sports since day dot .... the AFL want people to believe they're innovative.... they are not !!

Gather round .. pinched from Rugby League ( ESL) now magic round in the NRL
Score review ..... first used in Australia by the NRL , originally the NFL
AFL's judiciary system... pinched from the NRL , its their system with almost no variations

just to name a few things