NSW Greatest Team Of All Time

Australian Football news and discussion.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

NSW Greatest Team Of All Time

Post by Fred »

See the Greatest NSW Team of All Time will be named this week. Will be interesting to see who gets in and who is left out. Think minimum is 100 games.
Veni, vidi, vici
notaleaguefan
Banned
Team: AFL
Been liked: 25 times

Re: NSW Greatest Team Of All Time

Post by notaleaguefan »

The team is littered with greats including North Melbourne champion Wayne Carey (who was named captain), Brownlow medallists Paul Kelly and Shane Crawford, and St Kilda Hall of Famer Lenny Hayes.

Kelly and Essendon premiership skipper Terry Daniher were named as joint vice-captains.

LENNY HAYES NSW champ always relished the underdog tag

After being named skipper, Carey told media he was always fiercely proud of his NSW heritage, despite spending time living in other states and representing Victoria and South Australia in state footy.

"I was born and bred in Wagga Wagga, I'm a New South Welshman and this is a huge honour. When you listen to some of the names read out, it [is] a pretty good team," he said.

"Today was a special day to acknowledge and congratulate (not just those named), but also those who weren't named.

"I wouldn't mind running out with that group."

The skipper of North's Team of the Century paid special tribute to fellow Wagga product and Swans great Kelly, with the pair famously captaining their respective sides in the 1996 Grand Final at the MCG, which the Kangaroos won by 43 points.

"To have two boys not only from New South Wales, but from the same country town, standing there as opposing captains in that game, I'm not sure it's ever been done before," he said.

"It was pretty special actually and I've got a lot of respect for Paul Kelly, he was one of the toughest players ever."

Sydney coach John Longmire joined long-time NSW and former Kangaroos teammate Carey, Daniher and Saints goalkicking star Bill Mohr (who booted 735 goals from 195 games from 1929-41) in a powerful forward line.

Swans club champions and flag-winners Jarrad McVeigh and Kieren Jack were named in the line-up alongside Geelong forward Tom Hawkins and Hawthorn's three-time premiership duo Luke Breust and Isaac Smith.

FAMOUS NIGHT When little NSW humiliated the Big V

Four-time premiership coach Allan Jeans - who took St Kilda to its only flag in 1966, and Hawthorn to flags in 1983, '86 and '89 - was named as the team's coach, along with former Melbourne coach Neale Daniher.

The project, conceived by the NSW Australian Football History Society and AFL NSW/ACT, was driven by former Sydney chairman Richard Colless, who hand-picked a panel of experts to help with the tough task of picking the final 22.
Team-of-the-Century-760x438.jpeg
Team-of-the-Century-760x438.jpeg (104.93 KiB) Viewed 1591 times
a rather formidable line is the team announced last night!
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

How many internationals?
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

pussycat wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 5:17 pm
How many internationals?
Somewhere between zero and nil lolololololo. But golly gee whizz these master fumblers are famous in Frankston and Elizabeth. You betcha they are lololol!!!
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol
World famous in Melb suburbs
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

pussycat wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 5:17 pm
How many internationals?

Afl is not an international game pussycat.
Veni, vidi, vici
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

I posted this in the Australian Rules forum ... not the fight club so as to avoid the pissing contest. Moderators ?
Veni, vidi, vici
notaleaguefan
Banned
Team: AFL
Been liked: 25 times

Post by notaleaguefan »

Fred wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 8:42 am
I posted this in the Australian Rules forum ... not the fight club so as to avoid the pissing contest. Moderators ?
the mods only respond if its an NRL fan pissing and moaning