AFL CLUB DEBTS & PROFITS

Australian Football news and discussion.
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

AFL CLUB DEBTS & PROFITS

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

with clubs finding it harder each year, to maintain support sponsors and profits>>

some AFL clubs are growing in Debt>>

So I thought i would make a Thread where debts of clubs can be listed.

McLachlan said the 18 clubs had made strong progress with bad debt, reducing it by about $10 million last year to $50 million.
leeroy*NRL*

Re: AFL CLUB DEBTS

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

The Saints, Brisbane and Port Adelaide are the three clubs carrying the heaviest debt.

St Kilda Leading the debt with $12million

Port with $6million

struggling Brisbane's days of living on the edge could soon be over, with the move to spingfield lakes, The AFL is owed $10.2m and there is a bank debt of $7.3m
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Post by NlolRL »

If you started a thread on profit the AFL would certainly well. Big profits have already been announced by Melbourne, Collingwood, the Bulldogs, and Geelong.

How would the NRL go?
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:14 pm
The Saints, Brisbane and Port Adelaide are the three clubs carrying the heaviest debt.

St Kilda Leading the debt with $12million

Port with $6million

struggling Brisbane's days of living on the edge could soon be over, with the move to spingfield lakes, The AFL is owed $10.2m and there is a bank debt of $7.3m
St Kilda also recorded a small profit in 2018. Much of their debt is due to redevelopment of their base
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

NlolRL wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:48 pm
If you started a thread on profit the AFL would certainly well. Big profits have already been announced by Melbourne, Collingwood, the Bulldogs, and Geelong.

How would the NRL go?
Well i did not start a thread on Profits.. i started a thread on debts..

i did this for the AFL and NRL>> (so dont change topic..)
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:35 am

How would the NRL go?

Well a thread on debt doesnt really tell the full story of the financial position of both codes.

Also, debt is only bad if it cannot be serviced.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

NlolRL wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:12 am
leeroy*NRL* wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:35 am

How would the NRL go?

Well a thread on debt doesnt really tell the full story of the financial position of both codes.

Also, debt is only bad if it cannot be serviced.
Agreed, and cause i agree i have changed the thread to Profits and debts of clubs
for it to be compared..
leeroy*NRL*

Re: AFL CLUB DEBTS & PROFITS

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Agreed, and cause i agree i have changed the thread to Profits and debts of clubs
for it to be compared..
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

The financial position of NRL v AFL clubs is almost impossible to compare due to the difference in financial reporting used by each code and the distribution of monies by the head offices.

AFL clubs get varying grants dependent on their needs as judged by the AFL. In 2017 the Suns got 24M and Collingwood got 10M. That's a massive difference. If an AFL club is in trouble head office just gives them more money. They then list that as revenue and hey presto....they post a 'profit' for the year. NRL clubs get the exact same amount of money every year.

The AFL football clubs also show hospitality and gaming revenue in their financial reports whilst NRL clubs do not. The football clubs and their associated leagues clubs in the NRL are run as separate entities and post their own financial reports.

The clubs with rich leagues clubs get any financial shortfall covered by them. That money is not listed as revenue. Whilst some clubs have private owners who tip in to cover any budget differences in the same way.

If leagues club revenue and profits were counted in the football clubs financials it would add hundreds of millions $ revenue and profit to the game.

John Grant tried to get the clubs to change the way they reported their finances to take in leagues clubs and owners monies but got the bullet before he could get it through.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Terry wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:59 pm
The financial position of NRL v AFL clubs is almost impossible to compare due to the difference in financial reporting used by each code and the distribution of monies by the head offices.

AFL clubs get varying grants dependent on their needs as judged by the AFL. In 2017 the Suns got 24M and Collingwood got 10M. That's a massive difference. If an AFL club is in trouble head office just gives them more money. They then list that as revenue and hey presto....they post a 'profit' for the year. NRL clubs get the exact same amount of money every year.

The AFL football clubs also show hospitality and gaming revenue in their financial reports whilst NRL clubs do not. The football clubs and their associated leagues clubs in the NRL are run as separate entities and post their own financial reports.

The clubs with rich leagues clubs get any financial shortfall covered by them. That money is not listed as revenue. Whilst some clubs have private owners who tip in to cover any budget differences in the same way.

If leagues club revenue and profits were counted in the football clubs financials it would add hundreds of millions $ revenue and profit to the game.

John Grant tried to get the clubs to change the way they reported their finances to take in leagues clubs and owners monies but got the bullet before he could get it through.
Good Post Mate,

like coming to this site, and seeing a good post with facts and truth to the point of discussion..

i was not aware the AFL clubs that get handouts and than list it as revenue and than report it a profit.

we dont get a true picture of how well the actually clubs are going..

and i also laugh that all the AFL clubs get different handout amounts and instead of equal share..
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:29 am

Good Post Mate,

like coming to this site, and seeing a good post with facts and truth to the point of discussion..

i was not aware the AFL clubs that get handouts and than list it as revenue and than report it a profit.

and i also laugh that all the AFL clubs get different handout amounts and instead of equal share..
The AFL distribute a proportion of their revenue to clubs because some club memberships and merchandising is purchased through the AFL but belongs to the clubs. EG: You can become an AFL member rather than a club member, but your club gets a proportion of your subscription. The clubs also benefit from a proportion of the TV rights.

Yes different clubs get different amounts from the AFL as part of equalisation. However, this model is followed by sports like the NFL
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

NlolRL wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:37 am
leeroy*NRL* wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:29 am

Good Post Mate,

The AFL distribute a proportion of their revenue to clubs because some club memberships and merchandising is purchased through the AFL but belongs to the clubs. EG: You can become an AFL member rather than a club member, but your club gets a proportion of your subscription. The clubs also benefit from a proportion of the TV rights.

Yes different clubs get different amounts from the AFL as part of equalisation. However, this model is followed by sports like the NFL
if this theory were correct.. not saying it is not..

would it not make the Bigger clubs for example

Collingwood
Hawthorn
Essendon
Geelong
Richmond
West Coast
Crows

receive huge amounts of income...
where as in the handouts they are all at the bottom mid way..
while the poorer not so successful clubs are all at the top

who receive huge amounts.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

They all get a similar amount except for clubs which need financial assistance who receive more. This is equalisation so meg clubs dont dominate. It's hardly a revolutionary model
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

NlolRL wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:18 pm
They all get a similar amount except for clubs which need financial assistance who receive more. This is equalisation so meg clubs dont dominate. It's hardly a revolutionary model
It is a model that should be stamped out.. i recan
if you are not good enough to compete you should not be there.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

I disagree. How would any competition be able to introduce new clubs? Why shouldnt clubs who are in trouble be supported? 20 years ago Hawthorn almost folded, and the tigers were in trouble. Now they are both power houses