AFL - The ugly game.

Australian Football news and discussion.
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

AFL - The ugly game.

Post by Terry »

Legends of the game are slamming AFL for being an ugly game. TBH I've always thought it was the ugliest mess in world sport. Maybe this year is just worse than previous years if that's possible. It's a sad indictment on the brainwashed players, fans, admin & media that follow the mess.

Maybe it's the reason the TV ratings are in free fall. Please discuss.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/ ... ef80f74db8
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Re: AFL - The ugly game.

Post by AFLcrap1 »

100% spot on .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Post by NlolRL »

These ex players arent saying the game is ugly, they're saying recently introduced tactics by coaches have resulted in a less attractive spectacle
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol

Defend defend defend .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

NlolRL wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 3:00 pm
These ex players arent saying the game is ugly, they're saying recently introduced tactics by coaches have resulted in a less attractive spectacle
Lololololololololol. You're hilarious pal!!!!! That's like putting lipstick on a pig......it's not ugly anymore......it's just less attractive lolololololololololololool.
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 6:48 pm
Lol

Defend defend defend .

But, but, but Crowds :wink:
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 6:48 pm
Lol

Defend defend defend .
what I said is true though
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

Pal, headlines everywhere are screaming 'THE UGLY GAME'. This on the heels of the z grade standard of the poor ladies game & the embarrassment of the X freak show!!! This is a bad, bad year for the Australian Fumbling League. And I think silly Gilly's staggered off to the jungle mumbling incoherently & wiping the spittle off his chin - it's been a tough year lolololololololololol.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

Despite the fact there are comments in the media about the current style of play in the AFL they are experiencing record attendances

https://afltables.com/afl/crowds/summary.html

and memberships continue to climb.
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

"It really is, in my view, getting quite ugly". So says GWS boss Tony Shepherd. He further says the ugly mess is impacting on the 'northern sell' of the game.

So there ya have it fans - another top AFL administrator calls the game for what it is. I have actually been saying for years that the biggest impediment to expansion for the AFL is the game itself. It's almost unsaleable to anyone who has never seen it before such is it's ugly, bumbling, stumbling nature.

The best part of the game in decades past were the big hanging marks, man on man contests & the free flowing nature of the game. None of those things exist now. It has become a congested, ground level, loose rolling maul game - none of it pretty.

This game needs urgent repair.

Cue llllolller to ignore this post & tell us how great the crowds are lololololololololol!!!!!!!

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/gws ... 4zeob.html
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

There's no doubt recently introduced game play stratergies by coaches have increased congestion and pressure on the ball carrier. The tigers won last years gf because they implemented these tactics more effectively than any other team. Through congestion alone they cause errors and reduce scoring. Coaches are perfectly entitled to do whatever they can within the rules to win, but the current style is turning viewers away so some rules need to be changed to free up play.

The fact memberships and crowds are up yet ratings are down suggests the fans are still there but they are less likely to watch games not involving their team.

So I agree with the sentiment, the game needs some changes to return to the unique aspects it offered years ago.
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

Good on ya pal. The first step to recovery is acknowledgement of the problem.

In my opinion they must drastically reduce the interchange number to bring fatigue into the game. They should also have some sort of zoning or a rule that a set number of players on each team cannot leave their own half at any time during play.

I'd trial games with 15 players and zoning - see how that goes - and then tinker with it to get the best result. Gilly if ya listening I'm available to help lolololololol.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

I agree with those suggestions, mostly. Id do 16 per side and zoning at stoppages only
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

More ugliness on the weekend. Here is a couple of beautifully eloquent descriptors of yesterdays blockbuster mess between the Pies & Cats:

"The result, however, was a game so ugly that, in medieval times, it would have been locked in a downstairs dungeon and never been allowed to see the light of day."

"Not a bit of it. Instead, in perfect conditions, on the game's grandest stage, the Magpies and Cats produced a display so putrid in its error-riddled mediocrity that those forced to sip tea with stone deaf nonagenarian matriarchs in deeply depressing retirement village recreation rooms instead of going to the footy could consider themselves the day's big winners."

Well said Mr Hinds. Telling it how it is. UGLY!!!!!!!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-14/g ... me/9756854
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

The great super coach Kelvin Shedley has called for drastic changes to the game to ease the ugly congestion that causes the rabbling mess we see today. He's calling for 16 players and less interchanges.

I agree. Something has to be done to arrest the catastrophic 20%+ drop in TV ratings. The game as it is played today is turning off millions of supporters with it's base ugliness & lack of skill & athletic ability.

It is that bad that Chinese getting free tickets to attend the Shanghai game prefer to hide behind the stands eating cold pies & drinking hot Zhujiang beer rather than actually watch the ugly mess. Yep - ppl are actually running away & hiding from the action it is that bad to watch!!!!!!!

Good work Kel……...and good luck in saving the game!!!!!

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/kev ... 4ziig.html