New China TV deal sees footy taken to millions

Australian Football news and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Good news with 3 free to air channels in China now set to broadcast AFL matches. :thumbleft:
Nat Edwards
Apr 4, 2018 12:06PM

MILLIONS of Chinese will get a taste of AFL football with the League securing television deals with three free-to-air channels in China.

The round-nine Shanghai clash between Gold Coast and Port Adelaide will be broadcast on Guangzhou TV, Shanghai TV and Shandong TV, broadening the AFL's reach in China.

The deal means local television audiences could reach well into the millions given Shandong province has a population of about 91.8 million people, while Guangzhou (14.5 million) and Shanghai (24.15 million) also have the potential to capture huge audiences.

Last year the game was aired by CCTV, the Shanghai Media Group and Guangzhou TV, with a deal struck by the League just days before the game.

The League has also secured a deal with Guangzhou TV, which will see the broadcaster air one game per round of the 2018 AFL season.

Port Adelaide will feature in 11 of the 23 games broadcast, with the finals series and Grand Final to also be shown on free-to-air television in China.

All games, as well as a weekly highlights and preview show will be telecast in Mandarin.

AFL general manager of clubs and broadcasting, Travis Auld, said the new deals demonstrated interest in football was growing in China.

"We're in the privileged position to be able to host a premiership season match in China, and we feel that even more with our new television broadcast arrangements for the season with Guangzhou TV, Shanghai TV and Shandong TV helping us to increase the AFL's footprint into an important market and to support our international strategy," Auld said.

"Interest in our game in China is increasing, which is reflected with Guangzhou TV making a commitment to broadcast at least one game a week on top of a weekly highlights show.

"I'd like to thank Guangzhou TV, Shanghai TV and Shandong TV for their support in showcasing our exciting game to so many in mainland China."

Port Adelaide CEO Keith Thomas said the broadcast deal was a big win for the Power.

"We believe that to grow the game in China, the AFL has to be front and centre and be seen on commercial television consistently each weekend," Thomas said.

"We appreciate the support from both the AFL and Guangzhou TV in helping us deliver weekly television content to mainland China," he said.

The Gold Coast-Port Adelaide match will be telecast into Australian by Fox Footy and simulcast on Telstra's AFL Live app.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-04/new ... o-millions
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Re: New China TV deal sees footy taken to millions

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

be interesting to know the figure for sale of he broadcasts>>>

more about promotion than money>>

the NRL is televised in many countries around the world.
I would say the broadcast is next to nothing.
and figures quite low (NRL)
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

This is one of those unprovable propaganda narratives that the AFL love. No one can get reliable tv ratings out of China but the fumblers have at times claimed spurious numbers in their millions. These claims have always come months after the actual games and/or were tucked away in annual reports or obscure media releases. No actual credible sources have ever been quoted.

The same applies to any broadcast deals. They don't say how much they got but I suspect they got zero & had to beg, steal & borrow to get any air time at all. Of course they won't say & we won't ever know. This is AFL propaganda 101.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Post by NlolRL »

Im sure this just eats you up inside Terry
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

Hahaha!!! Couldn't give a toss pal. Leeroy made a comment so I replied. That's how this site works lolololololol. It's tough work here for you pal so I'll take it easy on ya!!!!!!!
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

The A League have done the same thing>>
Got International countries to sign up the A league>>

and act like it has the potential reach hundreds of millions>>

the matter of the fact is (it rates pathetic)

FOXSPORTS has Euro Sports>> playing Germany soccer..
doesn't mean it will rate it socks off.

more filling up spots on the sports channels.
and that it has been gifted to overseas countries for next to nothing..

all sports do it
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

Yeah that's right. There would be far, far more Chinese interested in watching soccer rather than the fumbling game seeing as they actually play soccer. Guaranteed though at some stage the fumblers will come out with some ridiculous TV ratings number that can't be verified.
Bbear
Seniors
Seniors
Team: brisbane bears
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Bbear »

This television deal has real potential, a seed has been planted and the game will grow, flourish and bear fruit in years to come. For this best outcome to eventuate the AFL broadcasts need to be on a regular basis.
Growth of the game is also contingent on having many schools take up the challenge of trying out a new sport.. Also crucial is to build up some clubs in the provinces and city's that people can play for and follow.
Huge investment needed, perhaps some chinese billionaires can stop buying up all the Aussie houses and spend on a new potentially lucrative venture
I didn't want a crap name anymore !
Formally RLcrap
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Post by NlolRL »

Terry wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:05 pm
Hahaha!!! Couldn't give a toss pal. Leeroy made a comment so I replied. That's how this site works lolololololol. It's tough work here for you pal so I'll take it easy on ya!!!!!!!
by the way you post it's clear this tears you up
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Oh my
My money would be on either
No tv station paid for it
Or they paid the stations to broadcast .

Nothing like the North Korean AFL propaganda DEPT to beat their chest .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

RLmorecrap wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:27 pm
This television deal has real potential, a seed has been planted and the game will grow, flourish and bear fruit in years to come. For this best outcome to eventuate the AFL broadcasts need to be on a regular basis.
Growth of the game is also contingent on having many schools take up the challenge of trying out a new sport.. Also crucial is to build up some clubs in the provinces and city's that people can play for and follow.
Huge investment needed, perhaps some chinese billionaires can stop buying up all the Aussie houses and spend on a new potentially lucrative venture
Will this seed flourish like the one planted in NZ ....CYCLEWAYS to nowhere ran over that seed

What about the seed in India

The one in South Africa.

Have they been watered in the last few years . :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/

🤣
Xman wrote
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol here's the story of the flourishing planted seed ( cost 1.5 million) in china from a few years ago .

$1.5m down drain on Chinese footy dust bowl
James Dowling, Herald Sun
September 9, 2014 7:36pm
AN AFL oval launched in China with much fanfare and a $1.5 million investment has been sitting unused with a power pole in the field of play.

Melbourne City Council Lord Mayor Robert Doyle and two other councillors opened the oval in 2011, during an $18,000 ratepayer-funded trip to China, but since the launch the ground has sat idle.

At the time, the council said the oval was the result of a five-year collaboration between the City of Melbourne, AFL and Melbourne Football Club.

🤣
Xman wrote
Bbear
Seniors
Seniors
Team: brisbane bears
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Bbear »

I admit that poor management and neglect by some officials has seen promising expansion opportunitys fail.
Its no good just cutting ribbons to open ovals in front of the cameras and then forgetting all about it, you need to follow up and constantly nurture the project and associated programs.
This new TV deal could be an important foundation block for an ongoing football presence in China.
I didn't want a crap name anymore !
Formally RLcrap
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

RLmorecrap wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:42 pm
I admit that poor management and neglect by some officials has seen promising expansion opportunitys fail.
Its no good just cutting ribbons to open ovals in front of the cameras and then forgetting all about it, you need to follow up and constantly nurture the project and associated programs.
This new TV deal could be an important foundation block for an ongoing football presence in China.
"Poor management" lolololololololololol. I'll tell ya why no one in China will take up fumbleball - it's the game.....it's a hopeless mess of stumbling, bumbling, fumbling unskilled detritus ......that's why loloololololololol.
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

RLmorecrap wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:42 pm
Was that neglect last year when we were told that about 5k empty seats were due to people out the back eating .

If the Chinese can't focus on one game a year without thinking having a feed is far more entertaining then all the nurturing in the world won't help ..

🤣
Xman wrote