2nd year AFLW: Will the hype continue?

Australian Football news and discussion.
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

2nd year AFLW: Will the hype continue?

Post by Terry »

As the fumbling folk here have vacated the premises I thought I would do their job and start a thread about this years AFLW season.

The big questions for the 2nd year are: what will the TV ratings be? What will the crowds be? What will the standard of play be? Will folk outside Melbourne and the desert states even care? Will the hype continue?

From what I can see the interest, marketing & promotion is no where near the level of last years hysteria. No doubt tonights first game and the game in Perth will get good crowds & ratings but it is the rest of the season that will tell the story. Last year ratings halved week on week until bottoming out about round 4. This year I suspect they will bottom out earlier.

The big question for me will be the standard of play. Any honest assesment of last years play would would show it to be rubbish. It simply does not compare, skillwise, to the ladies soccer, RL, 7's Rugby & cricket we have seen in the last year. This is where they really need to improve.

I will post some metrics of the weekends games to keep our fumbling folk happy.

:D: :D: :D: :D: :D: :D:
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Re: 2nd year AFLW: Will the hype continue?

Post by NlolRL »

I wouldnt expect the standard of play to be close to womans soccer or cricket because womans AFL has only just begun
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

NlolRL wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:21 pm
I wouldnt expect the standard of play to be close to womans soccer or cricket because womans AFL has only just begun
The national AFLW comp has just begun but the AFL boasts they have ladies comps all around Australia. Some figures are as high as 465,000 'players'. Now we all know that is not remotely near the truth but I would have expected last years AFLW comp to provide some better standard athletes than it did.

I will check out tonights game if I get a chance and see whether there has been any improvement.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

Terry wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:42 pm
NlolRL wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:21 pm
The national AFLW comp has just begun but the AFL boasts they have ladies comps all around Australia. Some figures are as high as 465,000 'players'. Now we all know that is not remotely near the truth but I would have expected last years AFLW comp to provide some better standard athletes than it did.

I will check out tonights game if I get a chance and see whether there has been any improvement.
Soccer and cricket have had higher level comps for years. AFL only one short season

Good to hear youll be watching tonight
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

I wonder if this year they will post crowds of 5k in A 3.5k capacity stadium . That was good for a giggle
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Crowd looked great again last night. Didn't see many empty seats on the broadcast.
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

Ok sports fans the numbers are in. Carlton won 3.4.22 to Collingwood 2.2.14. Last years score was Carlton 7.4.46 Collingwood 1.5.11.

The crowd was listed as 19,852. Last year was 26,568 including 2000+ stated to have been locked out. That's a drop of about 27%.

The ratings so far are 264k. When reg. and 7mate are added it will hit around 350k. Last year was 896k. That's a drop of 60+%. Ouch!!!!!

The lowdown: There were 3 less goals scored than last year. In fact last night NO goal was scored after half time. That would indicate the standard has not improved.

The crowd, whilst still good, is a big drop from last year.

The ratings are in free fall. There was a massive drop on last years numbers. To be fair, as I am, it was up against a BBL semi final. I'm not sure what it was up against last year. In any case this is not a good sign as last years first game was the highest rating game - doubling the next best.

Verdict: the hype is struggling to replicate last year.

No doubt the fumbling folk here will say all this is going exactly as planned by fumblehouse lol.

I will keep an eye on the rest of the games and post details re same. Keep in mind last years first round had TV ratings of 1.8M. What will this years get????
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

Terry wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:38 am
Ok sports fans the numbers are in. Carlton won 3.4.22 to Collingwood 2.2.14. Last years score was Carlton 7.4.46 Collingwood 1.5.11.

The crowd was listed as 19,852. Last year was 26,568 including 2000+ stated to have been locked out. That's a drop of about 27%.

The ratings so far are 264k. When reg. and 7mate are added it will hit around 350k. Last year was 896k. That's a drop of 60+%. Ouch!!!!!

The lowdown: There were 3 less goals scored than last year. In fact last night NO goal was scored after half time. That would indicate the standard has not improved.

The ratings are in free fall. There was a massive drop on last years numbers. To be fair, as I am, it was up against a BBL semi final. I'm not sure what it was up against last year. In any case this is not a good sign as last years first game was the highest rating game - doubling the next best.

No doubt the fumbling folk here will say all this is going exactly as planned by fumblehouse lol.

I will keep an eye on the rest of the games and post details re same. Keep in mind last years first round had TV ratings of 1.8M. What will this years get????
there was always going to be a drop from the first ever game :roll:

19k crowd beats the NRL's average crowd for every year of it's existance

OUCH :lol:
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

NlolRL wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:52 pm
Terry wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:38 am

there was always going to be a drop from the first ever game :roll:

19k crowd beats the NRL's average crowd for every year of it's existance

OUCH :lol:
Ouch
How much did they charge for entry
OUCH
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

Well folks the numbers are in for the Saturday female fumbling fest and if you're of the fumbling persuasion it's probably better to look away lolololollolol. So far it's like a slow motion car crash!!!!!!

The crowds largely stacked up to last year but the ratings....... WOW!!!!! Without resorting to hyperbole they haven't just fallen off a cliff they have they have literally disappeared up their own proverbial black hole lololololololololo.

Last nights numbers were 42k & 45k. Last years comparative games rated 118k & 75k. Ouch!!!!!! That's a 60% drop after Friday's 70% less disaster.

These numbers are catastrophic!!!! They would be the biggest drop from season to season of any sport in Australian broadcast history, probably the world!!! Another first for fumblehouse lolololololololololol. With one game to go the ratings stand at a paltry 407k. Last years first round total was 1.8m. This is an unmitigated disaster.

I haven't been able to watch more than a few 'highlights' of the mess but the consensus seems to be the standard remains deplorable & viewers are now voting with their remotes.

The news only gets worse however - last year the ratings halved week on week until flat lining at around 250k total per round. If that trend returns this year the ratings dive is going to be a bottomless pit debacle.

Lets hope todays mess gets some kind of respectability on and off the pitch lololololololol.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

I'm sure the AFL are devastated
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

NlolRL wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:39 pm
Probably not lllllloller. Remember how last year the ladies 'success' was a shock to everyone including fumblehouse?? You know.......they didn't do anything to promote it or market it......it just happened like the immaculate conception Lololololololololololol.

Well this year they planned to wind it back like sports do lololololololololololoololol. I mean why would a sport aspire to be more successfull year after year? Of course the smart sports wind their product back when they see fit.

Less crowds, a cataclysmic decline in ratings, getting bagged for the hopeless standard of play is all part of the cycle the smart sports organisations like to go propagate lolololololololololol. Spot on my friend. Gotta give it to fumblehouse....they are absolute geniuses .....they even plan for total and unmitigated abject failure lolololololol.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

Terry wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:15 pm
Probably not lllllloller. Remember how last year the ladies 'success' was a shock to everyone including fumblehouse?? You know.......they didn't do anything to promote it or market it......it just happened like the immaculate conception Lololololololololololol.

Well this year they planned to wind it back like sports do lololololololololololoololol. I mean why would a sport aspire to be more successfull year after year? Of course the smart sports wind their product back when they see fit.

Less crowds, a cataclysmic decline in ratings, getting bagged for the hopeless standard of play is all part of the cycle the smart sports organisations like to go propagate lolololololololololol. Spot on my friend. Gotta give it to fumblehouse....they are absolute geniuses .....they even plan for total and unmitigated abject failure lolololololol.
they would have expected a correction from the season opener. Same as a new stadium expects a big first round or season, then a balance of popularity in subsequent years. You're two idiotic to understand this concept. Fact is for a women's amateur comp in only its second season the crowds and ratings are pretty encouraging
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

NlolRL wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:52 pm
Terry wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:15 pm

they would have expected a correction from the season opener. Same as a new stadium expects a big first round or season, then a balance of popularity in subsequent years. You're two idiotic to understand this concept. Fact is for a women's amateur comp in only its second season the crowds and ratings are pretty encouraging

Yep. Largley agree with that Lolllller. Except the part that I'm idiot lolololololololoolol. And it's grammatically & spellingly incorrect to use "two" before a verb when referring to the first person. "Two", refers to the number after one. You should have used "too". Hope that helps in future interactions my friend. All the best.
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

The final numbers are in for the first round of female fumbling and once again it ain't pretty. In fact it could not possibly be worse!!!

Sundays game rated 31k. Yep you read that correct - 31k. The crowd was also down 2k on last years mess. To put it into context it was beaten in the ratings on the day by the the Aleague, NBL, BBL, Tennis & WBBL. Yep - basically everything! The WBBL rated 198k & 313k so absolutely smashed the female fumbling to pieces.

The round total was 438k V 1.8M last year. That is a humiliating dive into the abyss. Medic! Medic!!

The question is where does it go to now?? Should they just throw in the white towel and call the fight off lololololololololol???? I'd say they will stumble on in near obscurity except for a few zealots in the captive states.

It's probably a good learning experience - you know - all tip no iceberg - all show no go - all smoke and mirrors - lipstick on a pig - looks like Tarzan plays like Jane lolololololololololololol. You get the drift.