Swans, Crows not top two: Malthouse

Australian Football news and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Gees this old merkin shits me. What rubbish he suggests about the Swans and Crows not deserving to be 1 and 2 on the ladder. Get back to us Malthouse when your beloved Pies can beat the Hawks. Swans have already done that this season despite having to travel to Launceston to do it. And talk about a fair fixture, how about Collingwood being made to travel more than 5 times a year interstate and sharing of Anzac Day, Queens Birthday etc etc. FFS, this Victorian centric rubbish shits me. :evil:
Date August 13, 2012
Jesse Hogan

TRIPLE premiership coach Mick Malthouse has declared Sydney and Adelaide do not deserve to occupy the top two places on the ladder.

The No. 1 and No. 2 teams, which get hosting rights in week one of the finals, are ahead of Malthouse's former club Collingwood on percentage.

While the Swans face two finals-bound teams in Hawthorn and Geelong in the last three rounds, the Crows face three laggards - Brisbane Lions, Melbourne and Gold Coast - and are therefore considered a strong chance to win the minor premiership.

Malthouse said he would be disappointed if Sydney and Adelaide earned home finals in week one at the expense of teams such as Collingwood and Hawthorn, but expected that would occur.

''I just can't get my head around … looking at the ladder and seeing Sydney on top, Adelaide second. I can't get my head around them being the best two sides in the comp - because they're not,'' Malthouse said on 3AW yesterday.

''It's a lot to do with the draw. They're not the best sides.

''If Sydney and Adelaide finish first and second and they knock over [in week one] the next two on the ladder, say it's Collingwood and Hawthorn, then [Collingwood and Hawthorn] will run into Geelong, who've run into some good form, North Melbourne, who've snuck up on people … and West Coast, who are a better side than how they've been playing. You can throw a blanket right over this group at the moment.''

Malthouse said he considered Hawthorn to be ''a far better side'' than Sydney, despite the Swans having convincingly beaten the Hawks in Launceston in round five. He also said Adelaide, drawn to play Gold Coast and GWS twice as well as local rival Port Adelaide, was benefiting significantly from having finished fourth from bottom last season.

''I'm not saying they're a dreadful side, but … I don't think they're the best side, and they can finish on top of the ladder,'' he said.

Former Richmond spearhead Matthew Richardson backed Malthouse's view, declaring the fixture had ''helped one team more than any other, and that's Adelaide''.

''If you look at who's played who and where they should sit, they're probably the only one that's out of whack because of their draw. They're the only top-five or top-six team that's had a favourable draw and they're going to finish on top of the ladder because of it,'' Richardson said on 3AW.

Malthouse lamented that unless there was a fundamental change in AFL fixturing policy, anomalies such as the Crows' generous draw would continue in future years.

''Unless you play each other [only] once or you play each other twice … we've got to cop that [uneven fixturing],'' he said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/swan ... z23Yvy5CQL
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Swans, Crows not top two: Malthouse

Post by TLPG »

The thing is - the AFL wants to even up the comp. And they've done it. I agree with Mick that Adelaide are higher than they probably deserve to be, but that should be rectified in the first week of the finals depending on who they run into. Even at Football Park. So it makes it feasible for the team starting the finals in the bottom four of the eight to make the grand final, even through travel.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
58shark
Team: West Coast Eagles
Been liked: 0

Post by 58shark »

Mad Mick has it 50% right. Adelaide are up there because of the draw, but Swans deserve to be there. Amazing, they have gone from being bloody boring to bloody exciting!!
anchorman
Team: Fremantle Dockers

Post by anchorman »

Have to agree with you Shark.I was impressed by the way Adelaide played during the year but as you said they have had an easy draw.same was with the Saints early,they played GC twice in the first 11 rounds I think.
Swans certainly have been impressive.Will be like the early 00s if the Eagles win on Saturday night.
Could very well be a another week in the finals for both WA clubs.
Good to see you here Shark.We might be need to liven up this site.Very very quiet.Not at all like footygoss.
58shark
Team: West Coast Eagles

Post by 58shark »

I guess I haven't respected the Crows as much as I should have this year and it cost me tip points in our comp. Still, I reckon the Dockers will give them a fair old touch up this weekend. Be good to hear the opinion of some of the SA and Vic people if you're out there???
anchorman
Team: Fremantle Dockers

Post by anchorman »

Not sure there are many from anywhere here Shark.Maybe we out number them already lol.Only joking guys.
Should be a good game I reckon.But Fremantle by maybe 17 points.
cos789
Coach
Coach
Team: Wookie is a failed pathetic ugly woman

Post by cos789 »

I knew Swans would win when Mick tipped against us.
Nice try Cos.