GWS Club Song

Australian Football news and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

GWS Club Song

Post by Beaussie »

Thoughts

The Greater Western Sydney GIANTS today unveiled their official club song ahead of their first NAB Cup matches at Blacktown International Sportspark tomorrow.

Written and produced by award-winning Australian artist Harry Angus, of The Cat Empire, the song creates instant heritage, remaining true to the traditional AFL football song of the past, whilst still celebrating what is fresh and new about the GIANTS.

Angus contacted the GIANTS with his initial ideas after becoming inspired to look further into the unique genre of music.

“I started to become interested in this idea that there exists an entirely different genre of music that is the old classic football song. It got me thinking about how easy it could be to make a new song sound old,” said Angus.

“I began to research where some of these old classic songs had come from, to understand the mindset of the old captains and players who created these pieces of music. It became clear that the beauty of these great songs is their simplicity.”

Angus met with the coaches and playing group to get their input into the development of the song.

“The players were very involved in the decision-making around the song, it was helpful to understand what they did and didn’t like and critical to the overall process as some of the oldest footy songs were written by the players themselves.

“It also gave me an opportunity to ensure that the players understood that I wasn’t someone who was contracted to come up with a song, that they knew I had written this song because I was inspired to do so.”

GIANTS Chief Executive, David Matthews, said the club was excited to finally share the song with GIANTS supporters and the wider community

“It is very much a traditional football song, yet it is completely unique at the same time. We feel it will resonate with the people of Western Sydney and also football supporters more broadly,” he said.

“There are going to be a lot of firsts for our club this year and the song is a great example of the excitement that we are seeing in the community. Over the past year we received a huge number of song suggestions from the community that were all very impressive.

“As a club we are extremely proud to have an award-winning Australian artist write and produce our song. As Australia’s national game, that is something that was very important to us. I want to congratulate Harry and thank him for sharing this with us and our fans.”

The song will be played as the players run on the ground before tomorrow night’s NAB Cup matches at Blacktown International Sportspark.

Lyrics

Well there's a big big sound
From the West of the town
It's the sound of the mighty GIANTS

You feel the ground A-SHAKING
The other teams are quaking
In their boots before the GIANTS

We take the longest strides
And the highest leap
We're stronger than the rest

We're the Greater Western Sydney GIANTS
We're the biggest and the best

And we will never surrender
We'll fight until the end
We're greater than the rest

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/theres-a-bi ... -town.html
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Re: GWS Club Song

Post by TLPG »

Not bad.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

The more I hear it, the more I like it.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Yeah its alright. Sounds and looks a bit funny in the clip. Need to hear a crowd sing it.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?