Night Grand Final

Australian Football news and discussion.

Day, Twilight or Night Grand Final?

Afternoon
67%
Twilight
No votes
Night
33%

Total votes: 3

Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Night Grand Final

Post by Beaussie »

I've long been a fan of the night grand final idea and agree with many of the point made by Eddie.

Perhaps with Eddie pushing for change, the AFL might finally move the Grand Final into a prime time viewing timeslot. In the meantime, please no more cringe worthy Meatloaf style pre match entertainment.
Eddie McGuire has called for the AFL to adopt a night grand final
Jon Ralph
Herald Sun
February 15, 201212:00AM

EDDIE McGuire has called on the AFL to part with the tradition of daytime grand finals in favour of a night decider.

"If you are serious about what you are trying to achieve, the ultimate marketing tool the AFL has is the AFL grand final," McGuire told The Daily Telegraph. "And if you want to put on the biggest and best show you do it at night. What difference is there between a Friday night preliminary final? Collingwood-Hawthorn wasn't a bad game.

"Every big game is on at night bar two. The Saturday day preliminary (between Geelong and West Coast) had the atmosphere of a wet sponge and the game itself was like a practice match. The grand final (as a contest) was great, but pre-match it was deflating. The rumour had gone around the stadium that Meat Loaf wasn't even singing."

McGuire said the AFL's "embarrassing" pre-match grand final entertainment should be a significant factor in prompting the league to switch its marquee contest to a prime-time night game.

Last year's Meat Loaf debacle, he said, proved the league is not capable of producing quality pre-match entertainment during the day.

He believes the league has a serious decision to make: either ditch all pre-match entertainment for an afternoon grand final or "get real" with a massive night spectacle.

According to McGuire, AFL boss Andrew Demetriou's argument about retaining tradition is obsolete given almost every big AFL game is now played at night.

"Sooner or later we need some serious discussion on whether we want to have a night grand final. We have been trying pre-match entertainment since 1977. It doesn't work," McGuire said. "People come down with trapezes where you can see the wires and footy legends with premiership cups come wandering on to the ground like brown's cows.

"It's embarrassing. We just got over Angry Anderson 20 years ago and (last year) we had Meat Loaf.

"We don't want that happening next year."

"If we want to keep it as a daytime game we might as well forget the entertainment," McGuire said.

"Get massed bands to play Advance Australia Fair and Waltzing Matilda, get everyone off the ground and bounce the ball. But if you want to have a real go, have an entertainment spectacular with a million-dollar budget.

"If you are serious about what you are trying to achieve, the ultimate marketing tool is the AFL grand final. And if you want to put on the biggest and best show you do it at night."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6271184066
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Night Grand Final

Post by TLPG »

NO! If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Pure and simple.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
NSWAFL
Coach
Coach
Team: Sydney Hills Eagles
Been liked: 0

Post by NSWAFL »

Stay in the afternon. The majority of games are played in the daylight hours. Playing it at night would disadvantage teams. Eddie only wants it there because who would benefit the most out of the move? Collingwood of course!! They play more night games than most.
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

I forgot about that! :thumbleft:
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
cos789
Coach
Coach
Team: Wookie is a failed pathetic ugly woman

Post by cos789 »

TLPG wrote:
NO! If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Pure and simple.
I was of that opinion but I'm changing for two reasons.

Here in the West it's on at 12 noon. So for us it isn't the traditional time to sit down and watch.
Usually it's stinking hot as well.
Unfortunately life's too hectic and a lot of people miss the GF or parts of it because they are working.
I don't have a problem if was pushed back.
Nice try Cos.
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

It's been that way for decades, Cos. I think you'll find you're in the minority.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
cos789
Coach
Coach
Team: Wookie is a failed pathetic ugly woman

Post by cos789 »

TLPG wrote:
It's been that way for decades, Cos. I think you'll find you're in the minority.
The GF hasn't changed. I think society has changed.
Who's in the majority ? I don't know. It doesn't worry me.
But the negativety is overdone IMO.
Nice try Cos.