Sheedy wants Giants vs Swans to be biggest rivalry in Aus

Australian Football news and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Sheedy wants Giants vs Swans to be biggest rivalry in Aus

Post by Beaussie »

I like it. =D>
Sheedy stokes Swans-Giants rivalry
Matt Windley
Herald Sun
December 28, 201112:00AM

GREATER Western Sydney coach Kevin Sheedy says he wants to turn the rivalry between the Giants and Sydney Swans into the biggest in Australian sport.

Sheedy already has a name for clashes between the two clubs: The Battle of the Bridge. The Giants and Swans kick off next season with a stand-alone clash at ANZ Stadium on Saturday, March 24.

Sheedy said there was no reason why the rivalry between the teams could not develop into something greater than the likes of Collingwood and Carlton.

"It's the biggest city in Australia. The Swans have been up there for 30 years, they're established, we're the new boys on the block. What's wrong with it?

Sheedy pointed to two of Sydney's landmarks as inspiration for his idea.

"It must be named 'The Battle of the Bridge'. It's about east versus west. There's the Harbour Bridge, which takes in the north and the southeast of Sydney, whose people are mainly Swans fans, and then there's the Anzac Bridge out west.

"Having lived in Sydney for a couple of years now, it's about the people who have gone west, so that's obviously the Anzac Bridge, and the people who were in Sydney first, and that's the north and south-eastern suburbs."

Sheedy said the bridges should be emblazoned on the jumpers of each side for the games they played against each other.

"When you win a match you get a notch on that bridge, and if you lose you get nothing."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6231512037
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Sheedy wants Giants vs Swans to be biggest rivalry in Au

Post by TLPG »

I like his thinking, but it's going to take more than that. It took awhile for the Western Derby to get going after West Coast belted the living suitcase out of Fremantle in the first game. It took some intensity by the Dockers to create interest. Showdown on the other hand got off to a great start with the intensity there from the start, and Port winning as well.

Carlton/Collingwood is based in a class struggle. Carlton are the blue bloods. Collingwood are the workers. Historically I mean. Now maybe it would be possible to draw parellels with the Swans and the Giants given that - as you have pointed out Beau - many Swans fans live in the eastern suburbs or on the north shore. Blue blood territory. Sydney's west is working class.

But it will get off to a terrible start if the Swan kick the Giants rear end in the first game. The Giants MUST be intense from the start and make a game of it. I hate to say it but a few fights may help matters. I don't want it to come to that of course, but.......
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
cos789
Coach
Coach
Team: Wookie is a failed pathetic ugly woman
Been liked: 0

Post by cos789 »

Sheedy receives a lot of flak but he is easily the the best man for a giant job.
He's done an excellent job of keeping GWS in the media picture and he's got Choko to help coach.
Undoubtedly the Swans/Giants rivallry will grow over time and has a good start with the geographical, demographical and social differences of the two clubs. The Swans and Giants have one thing over the rest of the AFL competition they have separate training grounds and separate playing grounds. The Giants have the best in the competition with a choice of three grounds. Even the Swans have a good advantage in that they train and play out of the same ground.
Nice try Cos.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Sheedy is certainly doing a better job than the Swans marketing team in keeping the AFL in the local press during off season.

I can't wait for Round 1 this season. Bring it on. It's going to be huge.
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

The trouble for the Swans is that it's a slow news period for them, and I think the AFL may be helping get Sheedy and the Giants into the media picture. They're swamping them as a result.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Topper
Coach
Coach
Team: AFL
Been liked: 0

Post by Topper »

I expect that to reverse once the NAB Cup begins in earnest.
Rugby League has a lying culture. Altering crowd figures, relying on inaccurate TV figures from regional NSW and refusing to distance itself from Leagues Clubs and obtain it's own club memberships as it relies on LC's to survive as private entities.
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

I don't think it will reverse. Even up maybe.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST