China Here We Come

Australian Football news and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

China Here We Come

Post by Beaussie »

Would love to see this plan and a push into India really take off in the years to come. India in particular with the abundance of cricket grounds not used in winter.
League's giant push to China
8:57 AM Mon 12 Dec, 2011
THE AFL plans to play a premiership game in China by as soon as 2016 with Greater Western Sydney coach Kevin Sheedy saying the Giants are interested in going.

Melbourne would also be a logical choice, having forged close ties to China, having played an exhibition game against the Brisbane Lions in Shanghai in 2010 and exploring the possibility of taking pre-season training to the mountainous region of Kunming recently.

The AFL has also taken a number of significant steps in gaining a foothold in China, ensuring one game a week is beamed live into Shanghai and funding an AFL oval in Tianjin.

"If you've got that type of energy behind it, there's no reason why we can't aim for that type of outcome in the next three to five years," AFL international development manager Tony Woods told the Herald Sun.

"Ultimately, you've got to have two clubs who are really keen and driving it. It has to sit within our fixturing here and in the end it has to be a joint decision and endorsed by the AFL Commission.

"Absolutely, playing a game there for premiership points in the future is a consideration."

In November, Sheedy declared he wanted to take the Giants to China for a home and away game.

"A lot of clubs wouldn't be interested, but we are saying that we want to do it," Sheedy said.

"I have spoken to our chairman about it as it is in our best interests to be first.

"I haven't spoken to anyone at the AFL yet, but they know it is something that I want to do.

"We could even [open the 2013 season] with a game, and I think it would work really well."

The Demons are also keen to play in China with chief executive Cameron Schwab declaring that Melbourne is a "pioneering" club.

"At some point there will be a venue, a time, a reason and there will be enough momentum behind it that there will be clubs prepared to host games in other countries," Schwab told the Herald Sun.

"It makes a lot of sense for that to be in China, given the number of levels we relate to China on."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx
cos789
Coach
Coach
Team: Wookie is a failed pathetic ugly woman
Been liked: 0

Re: China Here We Come

Post by cos789 »

This is an example of of top down approach which the AFL seems to be nurturing as a long term plan for China and it's good for grabbing some headlines. (deservedly so). There is probably a lot more important developments from the grassroots up that don't recieve anywhere near the same attention. At the moment is the AFL Youth Oceania Cup being held in Fiji. In the short to mid term this will probably be more beneficial than China that could be seen as GWS style approach, that is, China has a huge population so we need to make only small % inroads for massive gains.
Nice try Cos.
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

I'm just not convinced, because our own grass roots is in need of an overhaul and that means money. They've already set the wheels in motion to get rid of the VCFL - which I'm okay with to a point just as long as AFL Victoria take up the reigns. They have to do a clean out of AFL Tasmania, and regional SA needs some stability.

The AFL has a bad habit of letting the football states look after themselves.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
cos789
Coach
Coach

Post by cos789 »

TLPG wrote:
The AFL has a bad habit of letting the football states look after themselves.
The AFL has a bad habit of interferring in local leagues which they typically under support.
Nice try Cos.
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

Oh don't start me on that one!
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Would love to see the game take off in China and India. Great to hear the AFL is finally taking China seriously. Baby steps I know, but a good start.
Last dancer says China ripe for AFL expansion
Jared Lynch
January 12, 2012 Read later

THE Chinese market is ripe for the taking by the AFL, according to former star ballet dancer turned stockbroking whiz, Li Cunxin.

Cunxin, of Mao's Last Dancer fame, said the Chinese were fans of all types of sport, but there was no code in China they could proudly call their own. He said his native land was ''a great potential market'' for Australian football, and could create one billion new fans for the code.

''The basketball game is very weak and the standard is very low. Soccer is also very average,'' said Cunxin, who quickly became an AFL convert after he moved to Melbourne 16 years ago.

''If I'm your average Chinese fan, then I think you could have over a billion people following you. There is no reason why China should not be an incredible future market for AFL.''

The AFL is already taking the first steps of an Asian expansion. It plans to filter Chinese athletes into the annual draft combine in coming years.

AFL international development manager Tony Woods said the league would establish an academy in Guangzhou in the country's south by the end of the year. ''We are realists and realise it is bold and ambitious,'' he said.

''We are taking the first steps into tapping into the Chinese market, and I believe absolutely that we will one day have a Chinese-born athlete running around the MCG.''

The AFL, with the Melbourne Football Club and City of Melbourne, has already invested $1.5 million in China, launching a purpose-built oval in Tianjin, northern China, in October.

Cunxin was speaking at the 15th anniversary dinner of the AIS/AFL Academy.

He told the 60 young academy members, many of whom are expected to go on to play AFL, never to lose the drive and passion needed to reach the sport's highest level - even after their playing careers had ended.

He said in the last 3½ years of his dancing career he studied his investment diploma. ''Even though I was passionate and committed about ballet, I was always interested in other things as well. I was fascinated with discovering the stock market, so I went to do some accounting courses to understand it better.

''By the time I was ready to stop dancing I made a very smooth career transition from dancing to finances. I'm a senior manger at one of the largest stockbroking firms in Australia today, so not only was I able to make that career transition smoothly, but also very successfully.

''It took the same discipline, dedication and work ethic from dance - you can apply that to any field.

''That discipline you have today is going to set you up for life.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/last ... z1jBlaLZC3
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Beaussie you are an optimistic chap arent you. I cant see the AFL "taking off" in China anytime during the next hundred years. A bit silly by the AFL IMO but I guess its still promotion. If they wish to venture into international devp, better to spend that money in the pacific islands or africa first.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
cos789
Coach
Coach

Post by cos789 »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Beaussie you are an optimistic chap arent you. I cant see the AFL "taking off" in China anytime during the next hundred years.
How much do you know about the situation in China ?
Nice try Cos.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

As much as Beaussie just posted.

xman wrote:
cos789
Coach
Coach

Post by cos789 »

The AFL has already a considerable investment in China at this time.
As is the way with business is done there most of this has been time up until recently.
However the AFL has staged a game over there and sold the AFL finals on TV to China that now has been
extended to the regular season. They have contributed $1 million to building a purpose built AFL ground in Tiamin.
And there are plans for more.
Nice try Cos.
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

The market in China is definitely ripe. They have already played in the International Cup and I just looked on Wikipedia and it looks like they don't play that other stupid code there (take note, NSWAFL!). KE's ignorance is showing.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
cos789
Coach
Coach

Post by cos789 »

As well the AFL has already leveraged a great deal of investment in the RSA in conjunction with the RSA government, Australian government and private investment in that country with great results. The AFL has invested in PNG with great results and is trying to leverage more with the aid of the Australian government. The AFL has only just started investing a modest amount in the Pacific with great results alrteady with a lot of Pacific countries attending. By the time the next IC comes around there should be a full complement. I expect the investment in the pacific to ramp up a little.
Nice try Cos.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Surely it would be much smarter putting more money into existing developments such as south africa and possibly nz. Although these areas are also small in devp I'd say they're more 'ripe' than china. Main reasons being theyre both countries which share a common sporting culture and history with Australia and there's been existing developments achieved. Why try new markets? To me a waste of money and opportunities by putting their hands into too many baskets and more sensible to go with those that may be more attuned to the game already.

And TLPG, on my research of the international cup, i dont think its an indicator for success in AFL devp and promotion. I'd suggest that to ignore the on the ground devp's and cultural similarities, as well as close proximity of NZ and SA in comparison with china would be show ignorance.

xman wrote:
cos789
Coach
Coach

Post by cos789 »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Surely it would be much smarter putting more money into existing developments such as south africa and possibly nz.
There is always a constant debate as which is the best way to cut up the pie.
The RSA, PNG and NZ have been extremely productive and possibibly more money is needed to ensure this wealth of junior talent carries through to senior competitions.
King-Eliagh wrote:
Although these areas are also small in devp I'd say they're more 'ripe' than china.
You're probably right but that doesn't give reason not to invest in China.
The investment process is not an overnight one.
You'll find the current developments are a result of dialogue held a long time ago.

King-Eliagh wrote:
To me a waste of money and opportunities by putting their hands into too many baskets and more sensible to go with those that may be more attuned to the game already.
It's ignorant to suggest that these investments are the mirror image of each other in fact it's the opposite.
You have to analise each investment separately.
King-Eliagh wrote:
i dont think its an indicator for success in AFL devp and promotion.
There's a quite clear correlation between development and performance at the IC.
Nice try Cos.
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Surely it would be much smarter putting more money into existing developments such as south africa and possibly nz. Although these areas are also small in devp I'd say they're more 'ripe' than china. Main reasons being theyre both countries which share a common sporting culture and history with Australia and there's been existing developments achieved. Why try new markets? To me a waste of money and opportunities by putting their hands into too many baskets and more sensible to go with those that may be more attuned to the game already.

And TLPG, on my research of the international cup, i dont think its an indicator for success in AFL devp and promotion. I'd suggest that to ignore the on the ground devp's and cultural similarities, as well as close proximity of NZ and SA in comparison with china would be show ignorance.
Trying new markets is essential to expansion. China is ripe because it's entire economy has been expanding and there are gaps just waiting to be filled. India would be in a similar position except they are cricket mad. Sporting pursuits are ideal. Interest in the game world wide is increasing and on a very wide scale as well.

I've always been against the second Sydney team in the AFL on principle, but that is an example of trying new markets. West Sydney is a new market because it's support for the Swans is at best unknown. I'm all for expansion into new markets at the grass roots level, which is what this move into China is. However at elite level it needs to be tempered because I'm not convinced the grass roots support is at the appropriate level yet. I will say that the move of the East Coast Eagles (now the Sydney Hills Eagles) and Sydney Uni into the NEAFL is a step in the right direction, but whether or not they will be competitive against the Canberra clubs as well as the Sydney and West Sydney reserves remains to be seen. Along with whatever cross conference games they have.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST