State of Origin coming back?

Australian Football news and discussion.
Truthsayer
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

State of Origin coming back?

Post by Truthsayer »

Damien Barrett just reported on The Footy Show that the clubs are warming again to AFL State of Origin in some form. Could be interesting but it would only work if they play three games through the three AFL states.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

This has the potential to be huge. Looks like the clubs are in support too. Look at the poll results from fans on the Herald Sun website. Overwhelmingly in support of a return of State of Origin. I like the sounds of this mid season trade period too. Could really help clubs battling injuries at that time of the year.
Push for State-of-Origin footy comeback in 2013
Michael Warner and Matt Windley
August 04, 201110:01PM

EXCLUSIVE: STATE-of-Origin football could be revived in 2013 and a mid-season trade period introduced from next season.

The two proposals were raised and embraced at a meeting of club chief executives and AFL chiefs in Melbourne yesterday.

The push for the return of State-of-Origin has surfaced during collective bargaining agreement negotiations.

AFL football operations manager Adrian Anderson last night confirmed to the Herald Sun the two proposals were being seriously considered.

"The CEOs are happy for us to have a closer look at the State-of-Origin suggestion," Anderson said.

"A mid-season window might make the trade system more flexible.

"I think it would generate a lot of interest, but we would have to think very carefully about it."

Results: State-of-Origin footy

Should State-of-Origin footy make a comeback?

Yes 84.88% (1089 votes)
No 15.12% (194 votes)

Total votes: 1283

The mid-season trade window could potentially involve clubs trading future national draft picks in exchange for players and see players play for their original club one week and then another the next.

Implications for the salary cap and national draft are believed to be the major stumbling blocks.

It is not clear whether the window will allow players from state leagues to be drafted at the same time.

Brisbane Lions captain Jonathan Brown last night gave an early tick of approval to the trade plan.

"I think it's a good idea," Brown said on The Footy Show.

"The Yanks do it very well overseas. It does give a club a chance if you do happen to have injuries.

"At the moment our sport is too reliant on good draft picks and not having injuries. We need to create other avenues to make sides better, or to repair your list throughout the season."

State-of-Origin ceased to exist as an annual concept in 1999. In 2008, a one-off Hall of Fame Tribute Match between Victoria and "the rest" was staged at the MCG to celebrate Australian football's 150th year.

Anderson said the current priority pick system would come under review.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/p ... 6108591618
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Re: State of Origin coming back?

Post by TLPG »

Truthsayer wrote:
Damien Barrett just reported on The Footy Show that the clubs are warming again to AFL State of Origin in some form. Could be interesting but it would only work if they play three games through the three AFL states.
And leave the others out? There has to be two divisions and the second divisions needs to involve Tasmania, New South Wales/ACT combined, Queensland and the Northern Territory.

It's a nice thought, but I'm just not so sure it would work. Especially with the preference by clubs to have an unbroken season. Look at the record of clubs that had the bye the previous week and then played a side that didn't have the bye.
Truthsayer

Post by Truthsayer »

It is intriguing that TLPG would make a suggestion along the lines of what he has given that Tasmanian football would be stronger than the others with the possible exception of the Northern Territory. I would like to know more.
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

Mod note first - off topic post and follow ups removed, along with a baiting post.

Truthsayer, whilst I agree that Tasmania should be the strongest of that group don't overestimate them now. Once they were quite strong, but they suffered under the thumb of the now defunct Devils and no state league. They're playing catch up at the moment. I think with a full State of Origin team Queensland could well beat Tassie.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
MarkZZZ
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by MarkZZZ »

I would have thought a "National" game like the AFL would/should include teams from all AFL states. If memory serves me right when it was played in the past it at least included NSW with Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia and should do so again. Lets not forget QLD and Tasmania. This should be a real money spinner and ratings winner for the AFL if it ever reaches the level of interest that the State of Origin in the NRL played between NSW and QLD.

What do others think?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

MarkZZZ wrote:
I would have thought a "National" game like the AFL would/should include teams from all AFL states. If memory serves me right when it was played in the past it at least included NSW with Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia and should do so again. Lets not forget QLD and Tasmania. This should be a real money spinner and ratings winner for the AFL if it ever reaches the level of interest that the State of Origin in the NRL played between NSW and QLD.

What do others think?
I tend to agree with you Mark. I like the idea of State of Origin if my state is represented. Don't like the Allies BS we had last time though. I still remember NSW beating VIC at the SCG. :P

Not entirely sure the clubs would allow all states to be represented as the season would be adversely affected with so many games.
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

None of the other states like the Allies, Beau!

Your last sentence is right. It'll be hard enough to fit in three breaks for Vic, SA and WA. We have to remember that WA were fuming that all the focus was on Vic and SA and they wanted in. I've always said that's a key factor making State of Origin for the AFL much harder than it is for the basic ease of the RL SOO. In a perverse way, it's sort of like a great problem to have. Think of it as having a full squad and having the luxury of leaving good players out of the side as an analogy.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Truthsayer

Post by Truthsayer »

You are correct about the need for breaks for the games, Mr TLPG. However there is a solution available and that would be the abolition of the pre season competition and an earlier commencement of the season proper.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Bring the season forward and get rid of the NAB Cup. I'd like to see a State of Origin series mid season involving all major states represented in the AFL. Agree that the logistics of arranging it would be difficult. Nothing is impossible though yeah.
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

Can anyone really see the AFL getting rid of the NAB Cup? I mean seriously?
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

They only keep it for the sponsorship $$$ don't they. My club doesn't even take it seriously each year. What is the point of it. More rule changes?
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

The sponsorship dollars and test zones for new rules are the reason they want to keep it. I'll tell you what though. If the clubs want to get rid of it, there's a sure fire way to do it! Every time a team kicks a nine pointer, sponsors money goes to the original club of the kicker (ie if Jurrah kicked one, Yuendumu would get some cash). Now what if the clubs decided "Let's get a mess of nine pointers"?

Watch the sponsor head for the hills!!
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Truthsayer

Post by Truthsayer »

I quite forgot about that, Mr TLPG. However I am not convinced there are enough long and accurate kickers to make such a plan work.
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

Hmmmmmm.

Yeah fair point I guess, but it would be a good aim and heck - what would it do for the game in general, huh?
THIS FORUM IS RACIST