Could Barry Hall be headed to the Giants?

Australian Football news and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Could Barry Hall be headed to the Giants?

Post by Beaussie »

I would have thought he is too old. Marketing potential would be huge though. Interesting that the Giants are indicating they would let him pursue boxing and only have to play games in Sydney.
Greater Western Sydney would like to sign Barry Hall

Andrew Webster
July 23, 201112:00AM

FORGET about Tom Scully for a second. The biggest name the GWS Giants sign this season could be Barry Hall.

The former Sydney Swans star announced during the week he will retire at the end of the Western Bulldogs' season, and Giants chief exec Dale Holmes and coach Kevin Sheedy immediately started licking their lips on this side of the world.

While the Giants are respectful of Hall's decision they are acutely aware of what the 34-year-old could bring to their fledgling club.

So keen are the Giants about signing Hall, they would allow him to pursue his boxing career and consider letting him play just home matches.

"If he wanted to come back to Sydney we would love to have him involved with the Giants," Holmes said. "Barry has been superb for our game in Sydney. He's had a great career but he's still a highly effective forward. As a new club in Sydney with many young players, he would be ideal for a year or two, providing leadership and a physical contest up forward."

Sheedy is a massive fan, having appointed Hall as captain of the Australian side for the International Rules in 2006.

"Everyone talks about Tom Scully, but we also need a Tony Lockett," Sheedy said. "We need great players.

"I wouldn't have thought Barry Hall would change his mind about retiring, but I'm not going to say no.

"I like Barry Hall.

"I made him captain of the Australia side. I have a real good opinion of him.

"Everyone wanted James Hird to retire at 34 and he came out and won the club's best and fairest."

Asked about the prospect of Hall trotting out against the Swans, while playing for Sydney, Sheedy replied: "Barry Hall playing against the Swans? Welcome to heaven."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6100059088
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Interesting. On his performance today I think big bad barry has a few years left. Though I'd really like to see him to go into boxing so I'dbe pretty happy with what GWS might offer in just playing the home games. A bit of a strange deal though dont you think? Cant do much for team cohesion and what happens in the away finals games?

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Onions
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Onions »

He'll play those! He'll play in the Sydney derby even if the Swans are the home team. The Sydney people know him because he used to be a Swan, so it'll work!