AFL to grow to 20 teams

Australian Football news and discussion.
Aceup1111
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Aceup1111 »

Let the teams establish first - Gold Coast etc
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Lets keep this succinct. The temp diff would be a big issue both ways and the Darwin mob would have it harder having to play half their games in a foreign climate. I know you're all for the protection of the players TP but for chists sake, they're men in their physical prime! I'm sure all players could handle a 10-15 degree temperature swing ](*,)
No human being could handle that on a frequent and inconsistent basis. Especially a diff that wide.
King-Eliagh wrote:
I'm talking about the need for AFL teams to span the nation so that youth who have the potential to play at the top level do not have to move thousands of kilometres to join a club and get a chance.
That's natural and can not be changed because of the pure layout of the this country. You'll be calling for teams in Exmouth, Kalgoorlie, Mount Isa and Broken Hill on that basis! We do better than any other sport as is. Fact.
King-Eliagh wrote:
Your final point I agree but once again you have not understood my argument. I dont care about numbers and the money etc, I'm thinking solid values and the sport truly representing the country. If money and numbers/population is your argument you have to be joking west sydney is not a bigger drawcard than Canberra. ](*,)
Money and numbers is my argument against Darwin, not West Sydney. Market interest is my argument against West Sydney and for Canberra. You can't throw money at something that you can't get any back on! True representation within the natural restraints that exist will be achieved when we have an AFL team in Canberra and Tasmania. No more than that is needed.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

TLPG wrote:
King-Eliagh wrote:
Lets keep this succinct. The temp diff would be a big issue both ways and the Darwin mob would have it harder having to play half their games in a foreign climate. I know you're all for the protection of the players TP but for chists sake, they're men in their physical prime! I'm sure all players could handle a 10-15 degree temperature swing ](*,)
No human being could handle that on a frequent and inconsistent basis. Especially a diff that wide.
Rubbish!!! Again your level of ignorance is extreme. No human being could do this...!!! My god if people like yourself ran the AFL the sport would be non contact and conducted under a roof with the music of enya blaring whilst bubble machines sprouted bubbles from the posts and pink fairy floss was the half time treat for fans and players alike.

I question your understanding of players fitness, endurance, strength and grit. These men are elite athletes remember. TLPG, get fit and play the sport for one season. Then develop some values surrounding the importance of professional sport being accessible to and representative of all Australians. Then get back to me :wink:

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

I question your understanding of players fitness, endurance, strength and grit. Any human body subjected to inconsistent temps from such a wide range are open to infections such as colds and flu. It doesn't matter how fit someone is.

You have no idea. Absolutely no idea.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

TLPG wrote:
Any human body subjected to inconsistent temps from such a wide range are open to infections such as colds and flu. It doesn't matter how fit someone is.
Pfffft. Get over it. What are you a doctor now? Provide some good evidence and I might think about it. I'm sure there are examples in other countries where sports players handle temp change.

We're talking about playing in 31 degrees one week and then between 15-22 degrees the next. If there was a problem as you suggest, which based on all the other tripe you type probably something you have pulled out of your ass, the AFL could easily solve it by playing numerous home games in a row in Darwin.

By the way someones level of fitness has a strong correlation with the strength of their immune system. Nice comments Doc :lol: I dont think I need to back this up with an article but please ask if you are unsure :wink:

xman wrote:
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

We are talking 35 degrees and no higher than 18 thank you. Besides, no competition in the history of the game has allowed a fixture with more than three home fixtures in a row - because it disadvantages the away clubs!

Never ever use those three words (Get over it) around me. Only cowards say that to avoid a challenge instead of facing it.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Apparently there are rumours that Port may take some home games to Darwin next season. Anyone heard anything more about that?
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

TLPG wrote:
We are talking 35 degrees and no higher than 18 thank you.

TLPG, this is the second time you've gone and pulled digits out of your ass. You've just pulled four digits out of your ass here and I for one am really put off by it. You obviously enjoy it but please, for the sake of yourself and everyone here at talking footy, STOP getting off like this!

Now lets put some facts on the board.

The avg highs in Melbourne from March through to October range from 23.9 in March to 13.4 in July. From the averages it would be fair to assume the average temp over this period in melbourne would likely be about 18 degrees. Note that a game or two may be played at night (although I'm sure this could be avoided) so these temps would then drop, probably by about 4 or 5 degrees.

The average highs in Darwin for the same period range from 33.2 in October to 30.5 in July. Importantly the games in Darwin would be all played at night if they had a team. The avg temp at 7:30 pm over these months in Darwin would be about 24 degrees, perhaps a little lower.

Put the averages of the averages together (18 in melb, 24 in darwin) and we have a 6 degree swing in temp. I think the validity of your "the poor AFL players might catch a cold" argument is blown sunshine :wink: And lets not forget that 6 games would likely be played in Sydney, Perth and Brisbane where the temps would be significantly higher than in melb.

:\: :wink: :\:

TLPG everything you've said about Darwin I've proven wrong. And with everyone being witness to so many random digits coming out of your ass you've lost all credibility. You're becoming an embarassment to this site and I think you may need to be reprimanded by Beaussie, or at least discussed in the forum issues page.

For the love of God TLPG Get over it! :lol:

xman wrote:
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Beaussie wrote:
Apparently there are rumours that Port may take some home games to Darwin next season. Anyone heard anything more about that?
No but this is certainly interesting and a great thing for Darwin and Aussie Rules Football. I'm in Darwin now so I'll keep an ear out and ask around.

By the way, initial footy field counts has Aussie Rules ovals at a ratio of two to one ahead of Ruby League pitches.

So I declare this place Aussie Rules heartland :)

xman wrote:
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Townsville is Rugby League heartland ratio of 4:1 :wink:

xman wrote:
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

You've proven nothing about Darwin. You're the one pulling figures out of your rear end, because for one thing you're adding March and October when AFL is barely played in those months in the regular season! Try April to September!

Now I agree that games would be played at night in Darwin, but overnight temps of 24 degrees are during the night! AM!! In the late evening it would be higher than that - and what about the humidity huh? At night it skyrockets!

Besides, you know as well as I do that the population base in Darwin is not big enough to support a team in the AFL. Also, Marrara needs it's capacity upped to at least 20,000. I think at the moment it can only hold 10,000 (I can be corrected on that but I know it's not 20K!).

Also - number of ovals means nothings. Number of players is what counts if you want to press things that way. Or alternatively number of clubs. The NTFL has seven (Tiwi doesn't count because they aren't Darwin based) and there are not many other clubs in the lower divisions after the TEAFA was absorbed.

Ergo - Darwin can't have an AFL team.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

:blahblah: TLPG you need to build a bridge and Get over it

I've gotten my digits from the Bureau of Meteorology not my rear end thankyou very much. Taking out the temps during october and march would make little difference to what I have summarised. Darwin is actually cooler in this period. And Darwin's temp drops to 24 very quickly after the sun goes down. Last night was a prime example. When I arrived at 8:30pm the lovely pilot announced it was 24 degrees :) Now if you like I'm happy to provide more updates during the week? Although I doubt you would, it will just once again prove my digits are correct and clean while yours are wrong and smothered in shiiiiiiiiiiit.

I've never stated that Darwin has a population base to support a team. Alternatively, I think the AFL should be putting in the dollars. Maybe a ten year funding contract and an upgrade to the stadium.

And please. The number of ovals in a region does not mean nothing you twit. Do you think local govt's/councils agree to developing ovals for no reason??

xman wrote:
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

On your last paragraph, yes they could do that. I've seen it happen. The point is are they being used, and more importantly how often?

You can make statistics prove anything you like. Fact is, Darwin's climate is way too different to the rest of Australia. You can't alter that fact no matter how many BOM stats you throw at me.

The AFL won't have the dollars to put in. They'll be too busy working on West Sydney and continuing to develop in game in New South Wales. NT is not on their financial radar and I've already explained why.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

TLPG wrote:
Besides, you know as well as I do that the population base in Darwin is not big enough to support a team in the AFL. Also, Marrara needs it's capacity upped to at least 20,000. I think at the moment it can only hold 10,000 (I can be corrected on that but I know it's not 20K!).
Marrara certainly needs an upgrade. Capacity is 17,000 with just 5,000 seated.

http://austadiums.com.au/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=69
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

TLPG wrote:
Fact is, Darwin's climate is way too different to the rest of Australia. You can't alter that fact no matter how many BOM stats you throw at me.
For crying out loud, where did this come from???

Another disgaceful example of stating facts that are ridiculous and misleading! Darwin's climate, tropical, is consistent with a large portion of the Northern part of the country. And is not too dissimilar from the subtropical regions of the country, which covers an even larger portion of the country.

TLPG see the map on this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Austr ... _MJC01.png

Deary deary me, someone get this umpire off the pitch, he's all over the shop! :lol:

xman wrote: